The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 2, 2015, 12:46 PM   #1
gav1230

Best holster for 1851 Navy?

I'm looking for a nice leather holster for my 1851 navy, I'm looking for a military style flap holster but I'd be happy with any that is period correct
Old October 2, 2015, 01:48 PM   #2
swathdiver

Best quality and or best price? Dells Leather Works makes some nice ones and Dixie Gun Works offers some as well. Just two of many.

I bought two inexpensive ones for the kids and they smelled like urine, had to leave them outside for two months before the smell went away but they have held up well after two years of light use; Mountain State Supply was the company.
Old October 2, 2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Hawg

Quote:
I bought two inexpensive ones for the kids and they smelled like urine,
Cheap Mexican leather is urine tanned. It's often elaborately tooled and is good heavy leather but the smell will gag a maggot especially if it gets wet.
Old October 2, 2015, 10:22 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Check El Paso Saddlery. I've gotten a few things from them over the years. All high quality stuff. There are a few custom makers that I've used also.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 4, 2015, 01:43 AM   #5
drobs

Check out the Flap Holsters at:
https://www.fcsutler.com/fcleather.asp

Here's mine bought from there 12 some years ago:

They look nicer when new. Mine has been beaten up over the years - mostly storage.
Old October 8, 2015, 01:16 AM   #6
Series70

Drobs,

Thanks for the link to Fall Creek Sutlers. I've been looking for the correct holster for a Navy Colt, and that shop is a real find!
Old October 8, 2015, 02:20 AM   #7
drobs

You bet. They usually set up a large tent at Civil War Re-enactments around the country and have all sorts of neat stuff for sale including BP Guns, Leather Gear, Uniforms, etc. I saw them in Illinois years ago and grabbed a business card.

I bought that Pietta, Holster, spare cylinder box, and a fork tongue belt from their website.

The only thing I wasn't impressed by was the belt. The buckle is nice but the belt is rough (unfinished) leather on the back side.

The holster and cylinder box are good quality for the price.

Last edited by drobs; October 8, 2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old October 8, 2015, 03:42 AM   #8
gyvel

Look on eBay; They always have a bunch for sale. Usually the used ones are priced very cheap, coz they don't look shiny and new. I've gotten several for my various BP guns for less than $15.00.
SIFE
Old October 8, 2015, 09:33 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like flap holsters for the protection they offer.
Old October 18, 2015, 12:11 PM   #10
ZVP

Cabela's Hickock rig.
can be worn cross-draw too!
Under $30
Old October 18, 2015, 02:22 PM   #11
BerdanSS

I bought a cross draw slim Jim from cabelas. Very disappointed with it. Cheap leather, bad stitching and worst of all....glue.

I can personally say you would not be disappointed with fall creek for a period correct military flap holster. I only live about 45 minutes from their retail store, and I know the owner and his son. Neither Andy or David will do you wrong.

If you want a really nice open top holster check out oldpueblosaddle.com/slim-jim-holsters
Allen is the best IMO, i absolutely will not buy a slim Jim holster from anyone but him ever again.
Old October 18, 2015, 02:26 PM   #12
swathdiver

I failed to mention in my earlier post that the two we purchased are also historically correct in stitching and style, the temporary stink was worth it for the price paid, they do daily duty of storing sixguns; rust free mind you. The girls make their own now and like the fast draw styles.

Last edited by swathdiver; October 18, 2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old October 18, 2015, 05:14 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW Hawg, where did you hear that Mexican holsters are tanned with urine?
Old October 18, 2015, 11:18 PM   #14
drobs

Looking a little closer at FC Sutler's website, looks like they have changed pattern and fit a bit since I bought my holster from them. I don't recall my holster being tight when new but it's been awhile.

https://www.fcsutler.com/fcholsterpage.asp

Looking at http://www.dellsleatherworks.com/holsters.htm that Swathdiver mentioned, the holsters look pretty good. I almost wonder if they are not the same holsters that FC Sutler carries. If I was home I'd take a look at the maker's stamp.

Last edited by drobs; October 18, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old October 19, 2015, 07:14 AM   #15
44 Dave

I have a left and a right flap holsters from Dixie, I opted for their Remington model because it has a round sewed bottom as opposed to the pinched and sewed flat.
I use them for Rem. '58, Colt '60 and '51, they were stiff but after oiling them they can't be beat for around $20
Old October 26, 2015, 02:14 PM   #16
Perldog007

Dixie sewn end

I like the dixie cheap pakistani made sewn end for the 51. The strap is long enough to punch another hole so I can put the flap behind the holster and belt loop for an open holster. The left hand model wears nice in a cross draw for right hand work and the cant is right for twist or calvary draw. It's also inexpenisve enough that I punched a couple more holes and added a tie down loop for the hammer so if I'm going 'open top' the gun won't fall out if I go "Maverick" and start flying inverted, or more likely at my age take the belt off ....

Here is a partial pic of my holster with the flap strapped back as described...

Old October 26, 2015, 02:46 PM   #17
BlackPowderBen

"The strap is long enough to punch another hole so I can put the flap behind the holster and belt loop for an open holster"

That's a great idea!
Old October 26, 2015, 02:50 PM   #18
BlackPowderBen

check this one out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabelas-7182...4AAOSw14xWKrRb

Dixies flap holsters are $15.95