The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1
mwar410

costs of skeet?

what is everyone else paying for a round of skeet, clays, and trap? Just getting around to our yearly budget and trying to figure out if we need to raise our rates.
Old January 31, 2011, 11:19 AM   #2
TheKlawMan

Have you considered that costs vary depending on location. $7 (I wrote $25 for some undkonwn reason) for a round of Trap at Prado in Chino, CA. I believe skeet is the same.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; January 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old January 31, 2011, 11:54 AM   #3
zippy13

Whoa! Where did you get $25.00?

Prado Olympic Shooting Park's listed fees are $7.00 per round of 25 Trap or Skeet targets and $8.00 for 5-stand. With a discount if you buy 10 tickets.

At Triple-B Clays it's $8.00 for Trap and Skeet and $9.50 for 5-Stand.

My club fee is $5.00 per round of Trap or 5-Stand for members or ten rounds for $45.00.
For non-members it's $6.00 for Trap or ten rounds for $55.00. And, $7.00 for 5-Stand.
Juniors get a discount of $2.00/round.
Old January 31, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Zippy is right about the fees at Prado in Chino, CA being $7. Why I said $25 I haven't a clue other than general insanity.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:31 PM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
Just getting around to our yearly budget and trying to figure out if we need to raise our rates.
What we pay here in FL should have nothing to do with what you charge in Maine. Is your club public or private or a combo? Is it for profit, non-profit? What are YOUR costs for targets, land use/taxes, utilities, and most importantly INSURANCE? From that you can determine base minimum. Then you add in area demographics, atmosphere of club - nice big club house with restaurant or a trailer in the parking lot and a sani-hut? How many other clubs are in the area offering the same thing? What do THEY charge in your area?

I have lived in many states over the last 30 years. Sporting prices have varied from as low as $20/100 to $65/100 - and that is regular everyday pricing, not tournaments or fundraisers. Some places bought land, others took a part of land they already had in the family and converted an area

Currently, in MY area, trap and skeet run about $5.00 for members when you buy a multi-round card; otherwise add about another $1.50 for a non-member stopping by. Sporting seems to be running about $30-$40 for a member at 3 different clubs - add another $10 for nonmember and another $15-$25 for a cart rental - ALL of these places have first-rate facilities, excellent upkeep and maintenance, and a rep for excellent customer-focused service
Old January 31, 2011, 01:52 PM   #6
BigJimP

+1 on what OneOunce said ....too many factors to compare one club to another .....

But in my area..... ///// Member /////// Non-Members
Skeet or Trap ///// $ 5 - $7 ////// $ 6 - $ 8
5 Stand ///// $ 5.50 - $ 8 ////// $ 6.50 - $ 10
Sporting Clays - 100 targets //// $ 35 - $ 45 ////// $ 45 - $ 60

Add cost of shells ////////// $ 6 - $ 10 ////// $ 8 - $ 10

Its getting to be an expensive hobby ..../and unless grandpa or dad is paying the bills ....its why we don't see many new or young shooters around too much these days. Even the retired guys that have money / are cutting back - and shooting less than 5 or 6 rounds a week often... when a few years ago, many of us were shooting 15 - 20 rounds a week....
Old January 31, 2011, 02:21 PM   #7
mwar410

I realize the overhead of operating a club, I was just wondering what the average round was costing? is it in the $3-$4 range or the $6-$7 range. When I used to shoot in Jersey, it was $6+ but that was public and you had a puller/scorer. We currently are shooting for $3.50 and you pull for yourself. When we have an increase, I don't want it to be obsurd.
Then I'm going to assume that your membership fees are quite abit higher than ours. So at $5 a round you probably have a couple of hundred $ membership dues.
Old January 31, 2011, 02:58 PM   #8
BigJimP

Membership dues in my area are around $ 100 a year for 1 person / around $ 1,500 for a "life membership" ...
Old January 31, 2011, 03:29 PM   #9
oneounceload

At my local club that only has trap, skeet, 5-stand, and a practice FITASC field, the membership is $65 per year. At the club with sporting clays, 5-stand, FITASC pistol, and rifle areas, a corporate membership is $400 that can have 4 people split - so $100 per year. If I shoot there once per month, I save money. If I shoot rifle and pistol there as well, it is free for members; otherwise $10/day......so it can add up.

I am seeing more trap/skeet rounds costing in the $6-$8 range now as insurance, utility and property taxes have skyrocketed due to lower income streams to the counties. The only exceptions seem to be the small private, run by volunteer places with maybe 1 trap, 1 skeet, or a combo field.

As long as you can recover costs, make whatever profit is deemed necessary - the lower you keep your costs, the more you get folks to shoot, the more targets you throw. Volume really plays a difference in fixed costs.

One place I lived ran several fun leagues and a lot of the prizes were shoot tickets - got those folks to come out more. Between that volume and selling the reclaimed shot from our fields, we were able to either hold-off or minimize price increases for quite some time
Old January 31, 2011, 03:32 PM   #10
oneounceload

Hey Jim - here's a place you might want to consider - a family lifetime membership is "ONLY" $100,000, but it includes all of your targets.....

http://www.southfloridashootingclub.com/

Family Lifetime Membership Before October 31, 2010
Lifetime Membership is valid for a period of 25 years. After 25 years, member will pay an annual membership fee equal to 50% of Platinum Membership dues.
$75,000 $70,000
$100,000

Place is gorgeous - as it should be...........maybe Zippy can float me the membership cost........
Old January 31, 2011, 04:25 PM   #11
BigJimP

If you or Zippy ask your wives for the $ 100,000 ....will you please make sure some video is running ( with sound ) ....so we can all learn from your mistakes ....and the beating you'll get ....

At least for the $ 100 membership/yr at my local club - you get a 5 stand operation, 6 Skeet and Trap fields, component sales to members only - and an 18 station sporting clays operation .... ( an no poisonous snakes, no gators, moderate temp in the summer (usually around 68 degrees), a little moisture in the air ....12 months a yr ...( but that's what GoreTex is for) ....and snow only about 5 days / yr .....

Its a great deal ....

But the prices will be going up at least 10% this coming spring probably ..../they're running out of volunteers ...and most of us old guys are too lame / too weak to schlep cases of birds around, cut grass, repair fences, etc ....
Old January 31, 2011, 06:19 PM   #12
mwar410

We usually do pretty good with the clays part of our club. We keep the cost of rounds down as much as we can, rule of thumb for us is to charge 2x the target cost. But clays are running $2.00/25 plus the broken/lets see ones. I thinking $4.00 is a must. An actual round probably runs $2.32, but we'll eat the cost of the extra birds. Our membership is a whopping $25, all volunteers.
Old January 31, 2011, 06:22 PM   #13
pabuckslayer08

Our club is 40 bucks a year and you have free range use whenever but for weekend organized shoots I beleive its 8 bucks
Old January 31, 2011, 06:53 PM   #14
Doyle

$5/round plus about $23/box of 100 shells at WallyWorld.
Old January 31, 2011, 07:09 PM   #15
oneounceload

Quote:
all volunteers.
And that's the key - what about taxes and insurance THOSE have both gone up tremendously everywhere I have been shooting
Old January 31, 2011, 07:20 PM   #16
mwar410

Clays is only one part of our club, we really have a low, low operating cost. Our biggest expenses are the range improvements and equipment upgrades. 6 new promatics w/ batteries, 5 stand 2 story tower, and container to hold birds and machines. I might have to laugh at any new requests for the next year.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:25 PM   #17
the rifleer

$3 per round trap/skeet.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:49 PM   #18
Dr. Strangelove

Members $2.50/nonmembers $3.00 per round of skeet. $100.00 annual dues, 50yd pistol range, 300yd rifle range. Only open to the public on Sunday 1:00pm to 5:00pm.

We have a decent little clubhouse, but no restaurant or anything like that.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; February 1, 2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: clubhouse is decent, not "nice"
Old February 1, 2011, 11:05 AM   #19
zippy13

Quote:
Quote:
1-oz wrote:
Hey Jim - here's a place you might want to consider - a family lifetime membership is "ONLY" $100,000, but it includes all of your targets.....
...maybe Zippy can float me the membership cost….
Jim replied:
If you or Zippy ask your wives for the $ 100,000 ....will you please make sure some video is running ( with sound ) ....so we can all learn from your mistakes ....and the beating you'll get ….
Actually the $100,000 might be a deal if you shoot a lot. If you consider some shooters do 6 rounds a day 5-days a week, at $7/round, you'll cover your membership in less than 10-years. When I got my NSSA life membership, the break even was something like 15+ years (IIRC).

When I paid $1,000 to upgrade my NRA membership, a few years later they had the same thing for considerably less. When I spent $1,000 to upgrade to life membership at one club, they lost their lease after only a few years. If I were to ask my wife about another life membership, whatever the cost, that video would be evidence of a homicide.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:18 AM   #20
oneounceload

I do like the idea of a club offering some special services - granted this place is an exception in regards to cost, but the golf cart, discounts, free gunsmithing, free lesson with champions, all a nice touch and might be adaptable in some form to some struggling smaller clubs, like kids shoot free day if mom or dad is a member, or free basic lessons, or similar - it might just the thing that takes someone a little nervous because they aren't good to come out and shoot and find a new hobby
Old February 1, 2011, 11:39 AM   #21
BigJimP

I agree guys - there is a lot involved in having a good / well run club ....and the politics behind some of the poorly run ones gets pretty entertaining....

Most clubs in my area ( including the one I belong to ) / do very little long term planning - and really don't operate as a "business" vs just trying to be "a place for the members to hang out and shoot" ...and I think its too bad.

Most boards of directors - are in place in name only - and only a few of the more vocal members really run the operation - good or bad.

There is a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar - and if it gets too high - people quit showing up. But if the club doesn't create the environment - financially - and in other ways - quality, friendly, etc - where they can thrive - they'll dry up and blow away.

Watching the costs of everything - and setting your prices so the club has contingency funds - and pay for the maintenance, insurance, utilities, etc is a really big deal. Most boards of directors don't have the courage to run it like a business - and its too bad.
Old February 1, 2011, 01:17 PM   #22
mwar410

That's were we are now, we are getting big enough were things are starting to get more involved. And switching to a more bussiness like environment isn't going over well with everyone. But it has to be done or we'll be another lost gun club.
Old February 1, 2011, 02:19 PM   #23
oneounceload

When I lived out West, sporting clays and 5-stand were starting to come into their own - the local club was made up of mostly trap and skeet folks who did not want to give up one of their fields to this "new" game. We fought, got the 5-stand put in, then a sporting clays area. Over the next 10-15 years, the club was throwing over 300,000 sporting clays targets and ab out 100,000 trap/skeet.

Then the board of directors shifted yet again and the trap/skeet guys took over, ousted the manager who made the growth possible and said they only cared about trap and skeet - the other was too much "bother". I hate to think what might be happening to what was once a nice local club with attitudes like that.........
Old February 2, 2011, 12:23 PM   #24
BigJimP

A lot of clubs are having a hard time transitioning from a "good ole boy" environment --- to a "business environment" ...

Its usually a problem because they know that hiring people, etc - and they know it might cost them more money / and/or they'll have to start following safety rules, etc ....

Last edited by BigJimP; February 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:37 PM   #25
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimp
A lot of clubs are having a hard time transitioning from a "good ole boy" environment --- to a "business environment" ...
Ours is - see my earlier thread in the "Lock and Load" section. We've added a hundred or so new members in the last year, so it's becoming interesting...