The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 16, 2010, 10:09 PM   #1
walknotinfear

.357 in production?

I have competed in 3 matches and am doing better than I thought I was going to be. I have a question since I am new at this sport. I am using a Sig 229 chambered in .357sig. I know in Production division all rounds are minor and am at a disadvantage due to the recoil of the .357sig round I am currently using. I have tons of the .357sig from my department and it is free for my use. The question is should I continue to use the Sig 229 chambered in .357sig or get another weapon (glock 35) or just keep using the weapon I currently use? I really don't see myself placing first in a match when others are shooting 9mm and I am using .357sig.
Old November 16, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Do you think you will win with a 9mm?

If so, is that your goal or are you after proficiency with your department gun?

How about a P229 9mm for less recoil in a familiar action instead of changing platforms?
Old November 16, 2010, 11:28 PM   #3
walknotinfear

I am just glad I do not come in last ;-) I come in the top 20 percent with the Sig 229 (.357). I really want to shoot in the limited division and am still up in the air if I should get a Glock 35 (.40 cal) or one of the STI 2011 guns. Not sure yet. All the big dogs at the match all ask me what kind of cannon I am shooting. I was not aware that the .357sig round made more noise than the other weapons with the exception of the race guns shooting 38 super. I am so looking forward to next month's local match and am going to the 2011 Florida Open Pistol match in February. I hope I do not place last in that match and I am still unclassified.
Old November 16, 2010, 11:30 PM   #4
oldkim

No brainer....

Stick with your issued 357Sig - you have tons of (free) ammo and this is good since you actually carry the firearm (for work).

Although you can always switch to 40S&W with a drop barrel (same magazines and frame).

If you want to invest and use your own money (meaning buy ammo) then you have all the world to choose what gun, etc.

Although you can just buy and use a "softer" shooting 357Sig round (versus the carry rounds you are issued).
Old November 17, 2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Don P

Quote:
I know in Production division all rounds are minor and am at a disadvantage due to the recoil of the .357sig round I am currently using.
Not true. There is no minor, major ratings for ammo. Page 28 of the rule book will explain the "power floor" for ammo.
Seems you are using terms from USPSA.
IDPA divisions are as follows, SSP stock service pistol, ESP enhanced service pistol, CDP custom service pistol, ESR enhanced service revolver, and SSR stock service revolver. Calibers can overlap in multiple divisions.
You can find the rule book here, www.idpa.com
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 17, 2010, 08:34 PM   #6
walknotinfear

So how long should I use the SIG than? There is no way I can keep using this weapon and expect to place high on the list. I want to start winning matches (in a few years) if you know what I mean.
Old November 17, 2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Gee, Don, I think he IS shooting USPSA. He is using all IPSC/USPSA terminology and the Florida Open is a USPSA event.

Walk, if you are in the top 20% of Production, then you are probably ready to shoot whatever Divison you are ready to pay for.

Read and ask over on
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/
That is where the action shooters and gunsmiths hang out.
Old November 18, 2010, 07:20 AM   #8
walknotinfear

Sorry guys, I am talking about USPSA.