The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 21, 2014, 11:30 PM   #1
DennisCA

The next step: Flintlocks?

Now that I have a percussion rifle and pistol, I may want to get a a flintlock rifle and pistol (it may be awhile don't know when - down the road through). I can get a flintlock rifle from the place when I got my percussion gun but they don't carry flintlock pistols - any suggestions?

Last edited by DennisCA; December 23, 2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old December 22, 2014, 12:56 AM   #2
OcelotZ3

Traditions Trapper flintlock pistol. I bought mine last year during Cabelas big Christmas sale (or post-Christmas, can't remember).

I had so much fun with it that I now have 6 flintlock rifles...
Old December 22, 2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Pahoo

I like the way you think !!!

All directly proportional to your budget ....
Pedersoli
Lyman
Traditions

I have an older Pedersoli Kentuckian that I really enjoy shooting. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 22, 2014, 09:09 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd go to the Mountain Man meets and find something that is used. BTW, used smokepoles tend to be cheap at the Rendezvous at Whittington Center (NM).
Old December 23, 2014, 01:54 PM   #5
FrontierGander

I wouldnt say cheap. The cheap ones usually are just barely holding together with rust That or you look down the bores and they are rusted up pretty good and have a high price tag.

I did get a good trade one year. The guy still has the rifle too! I traded a .45cal invest arms "hawken" for a .50cal cva plainsman flintlock. Wish I had kept that flinter as it was super fast and accurate for such a simple rifle.
Old December 23, 2014, 05:48 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

FrontierGander - I should not have used the word "cheap" as in meaning poorly made. What I meant was inexpensive.
Old December 23, 2014, 07:38 PM   #7
FrontierGander

inexpensive is what I always mean when someone says cheap. Theres no cheap ronnyvoo guns unless they are REALLY bad and just parts. Last year there was a NIB traditions hawken.. When I saw NIB on tag and then looked at the bore and around the nipple, I laughed. Then I REALLY laughed when I saw the price.

Once in a while you'll get a good deal but it is not often.

Last year there was a lady selling bear grease for patch lube. I gladly handed over my $15 for 3 bottles. Much easier than bear hunting as I found out later on
Old December 24, 2014, 01:01 AM   #8
hartcreek

I guess for me getting a flinter would depend on what part of that silly state you live in. Many years ago I spent a Winter in Stockton and Modesto and had I been a field with a flinter a pointy stick would have been better then a club with wet powder.

Last edited by hartcreek; December 24, 2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old December 24, 2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Captchee

out here you never know what the weathers going to do . might be sunny and 70 deg one minute , raining the next , then blowing snow shortly there after .
learn to take care of your flintlock and it will not let you down . neglect it and you will a nice looking club .

As to quality , I would also put Pedersoli at the top of the list . But frankly that doesn’t say much .
Their quality guns , any more can cost as much as a lower end semi custom piece .
If you drop down to say the Hatfield , Blue Ridge…… type rifle , well then its frankly a role of the dice and you can run into bad locks , bad barrels , cracked stocks .
Costs for the repair parts are just as much or more then quality US parts . Case in point . The lock for a Blue Ridge , cost as much or more then one of Jim Chambers locks when frankly it should be much less .
Barrels are the same . You could buy a Rice , Getz , Colerain or GM for the cost of a Pedersoli barrel .
Never mind that if the stock splits , replacing its going to cost you more then a complete parts set for a semi custom rifle .
Set down some time and add up the parts cost for that 3-400 dollar rifle and you will find real quick that you could have a very nice custom gun made for the parts cost .

In the end , buy the best you can afford . Even if you end up with say a CVA or Traditions . Consider replacing the lock as an up grade . You wont regret it

Last edited by Captchee; December 24, 2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old December 24, 2014, 04:39 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

My Hatfield had a patch in the stock. I can't complain since it was at a bargain basement price.