The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 11, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1
straight-shooter

Day at the range

Finally got a chance to shoot three of my black powder pistols today. Two 1858's and a 1860. I used my home cast round ball, Goex FFF and #11 caps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukh5P...T9zk7BOBrKcTs=
Old April 11, 2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Pretty good....

...I see that the fifth shot from the Remington rickoshayed and knocked your shirt off the bench.

Old April 11, 2012, 09:09 PM   #3
zullo74

ricocheted
Old April 12, 2012, 04:42 AM   #4
straight-shooter

Quote:
...I see that the fifth shot from the Remington rickoshayed and knocked your shirt off the bench.
LOL, now that's funny right there! I noticed that in the video also and wondered how i could dub the ricochet sound effect into it!

Both the 1858's were shooting for the most part POA or maybe just slightly high at that yardage. The 1860 on the other hand was shooting high and right. I don't mind the elevation as much as the gun shooting about 3" to the right. Anyone know of a fix for this ?

Last edited by straight-shooter; April 12, 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old April 12, 2012, 04:58 AM   #5
arcticap

Alter the rear notch...

One way would be to file the hammer rear sight notch on the same side as the direction that you want the impact to move.
Deepening the notch would lower the impact, and filing the left side of the notch would move the impact left.
The main issue is to go slow because once the metal is removed then it's hard to put it back on.

Last edited by arcticap; April 12, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old April 12, 2012, 05:07 AM   #6
arcticap

...Or alter the front sight

Another way involves altering the front sight.
If the front sight is already dovetailed then it can be drifted in the opposite direction that you want the impact to be moved.

If the front sight is moved right, then the impact will be moved left.
If the front sight is made to be higher, then the impact will be lowered.

If the sight is not already dovetailed, then a dovetail would need to be cut into the barrel and a higher front sight installed.
Then it can be filed down and drifted to sight it in as desired.

Last edited by arcticap; April 12, 2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old April 12, 2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Zullo

"Rickoshay – rik-oh-shay, (Archaic) Verb; the redirection of a moving projectile from a stricken object most often returning to a bench or table near the origin of initial travel of the projectile, striking a garment belonging to the person who caused the projectile to be propelled, knocking it off of the table or bench. (Noun) The occurrence of the bouncing of a projectile most often in a direction nearly opposite to the incident vector and most often causing the movement of objects on tables or benches near the source of the incident vector. (Alt - 1. ricochet, 2. Rick-O-Shay, 3. Rickshaw, 4. recrochet, 5. Ricoh shredder) Most normal people use the first alternate spelling."

Source – Hoy’s Dictionary of Archaic and Incorrect Terms used only by Hoy.
2012, Bumkin Press. ISBN: 185118601873.
Old April 12, 2012, 06:38 AM   #8
zullo74

Now that was pretty funny Doc.
Old April 12, 2012, 07:23 AM   #9
deerslayer303

Laughing @ Doc
Old April 12, 2012, 09:54 AM   #10
kwhi43

Still don't understand you people who shoot two handed???
These are handguns not handsguns.
Old April 12, 2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Fingers McGee

good one Doc
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 12, 2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Hawg

LOL Doc, that was funny right there. I don't care who ya are.
Old April 12, 2012, 12:01 PM   #13
straight-shooter

LOL, good stuff Doc

Here's a bit of playing with my video editor...

RICOCHET
Old April 12, 2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Hellgate

StraighShooter,
Howdya like the difference in the Pietta and the Armi San Poalo Remington? Tye ASM to me is almost like the diference between a Cold Army and a Colt Navy. The ASP/Euroarms are smaller framed and smaller gripped than the bulkier Piettas which in my opinion are over built. I sold my Piettas and got Euros and are quite happy with the smaller more pointable (especially one handed) guns. Ubertis are in the middle (weight wise) compared to the Euro/ASP guns.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old April 12, 2012, 10:21 PM   #15
sandman_nv

Doc wins this thread!
Old April 13, 2012, 04:38 AM   #16
straight-shooter

Quote:
StraightShooter,
Howdya like the difference in the Pietta and the Armi San Poalo Remington? Tye ASM to me is almost like the diference between a Cold Army and a Colt Navy. The ASP/Euroarms are smaller framed and smaller gripped than the bulkier Piettas which in my opinion are over built. I sold my Piettas and got Euros and are quite happy with the smaller more pointable (especially one handed) guns. Ubertis are in the middle (weight wise) compared to the Euro/ASP guns.
I find that the ASP for me is more comfortable and shoots better to the point of aim. While not dissatisfied in the least with the pietta but i think the ASP wins the contest. Some grouse about it's smaller size but it fits me just fine.
Old April 13, 2012, 05:18 AM   #17
Doc Hoy

My thought is

When ASMs, ASPs, and Piettas were being manufactured simultaneously I think the quality was pretty much the same and it was not as good as Pietta or Uberti is today.

The actual quality is a little hard to pin down since you see examples from ASM which are at both ends of the quality spectrum. It is entirely possible that they manufactured to different standards for different outlets.

I know I have sen differences in ASP and ASM pistols which can not be attributed to their ability to build good pistols. I am speaking of a deliberate and identifiable difference in the process for example of finishing the surface of the metal.

This is why you have a wide range of opinions on ASM quality. There are certainly examples of ASMs which would be an embarassment but on the other hand I have several ASMs which are nearly equal to Piettas of post 2000.

Over the years two things happened.

ASP and ASM got out of the BP revolver business and CNC came along.

So now you have Piettas and Ubertis which are much closer in quality than they used to be and the others don't exist.