The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1
mountainboomer

Herters reloading dies

I have an old Herters re-loading press and dies that I inherited from my dad. I have only used it to re-load 30-06. I want to have my rifle modified to 338-06.
Are there any dies that will fit my Herters press? Is there anyone who can modify the 30-06 dies to 338-06. Thanks
Old November 27, 2010, 02:54 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Take a good look at the dies....

Herters had presses and dies in (at least) two different thread sizes. One of them is what is today the industry standard, 7/8x14tpi. If your press is that one, you're fine with any new dies you buy. IF not, get a new press.

I have an old set of Herters 6.5x55mm Swede dies that I still use. They are the standard thread.

Take one of your dies to a store that has new dies. Compare the threads to a new die. If they are the same, you are in business.

Your dies could be reamed to match the new caliber, but I think it would be cheaper an easier just to get new dies. Check with the gunsmith you are going to use to get your rifle redone. He should be able to tell you what's the best way to go.
Good Luck!
Old November 27, 2010, 03:04 PM   #3
zippy13

Greetings mountainboomer, and welcome aboard

If you're an optimist, get a magnifying glass and inspect your press, dies, and lock rings with hopeful anticipation of discovering a 7/8x14 thread reference.