The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2010, 03:07 PM   #1
LAlineman

.223 case sizing

Case lengths seem to vary quite a bit. According to my Hornady manual Max. Case length should not exceed 1.760 . I trim mine to 1.750. Can anyone tell me what the very MIN. Case length should be before it is useless to reload ? I have quite a few that are 1.735 -1.745. Can these still be used ?
Old November 25, 2010, 04:22 PM   #2
jepp2

Quote:
very MIN
Depends a bit on the rifle you are going to use them in. A bolt action could use considerable shorter than an autoloader, due to sufficient length for neck tension.

I would use any you had listed in anything I shot 223 in. So Yes, you can use them.
Old November 25, 2010, 05:32 PM   #3
LAlineman

Thanks for the info, they are going to be used for a semi-auto. What about crimping? I,ve heard some guys crimp, and some don,t. I,ve just been putting a light crimp on them. Any recomendations?
Old November 25, 2010, 06:34 PM   #4
4runnerman

In auto's,yes you want to crimp. Bolt action is the only case i know of where crimmping is not needed.
Old November 25, 2010, 06:54 PM   #5
mehavey

I never crimp the AR. If you properly seat to recommended lengths, neck tension is more than enough for this action's feed dynamics and its miniscule recoil.

Besides, unless yiou are crimping into a canalure groove, you haven't gained much in retention until you've applied enough criming leverage to score the bullet jacket itself.
Old November 25, 2010, 07:59 PM   #6
4runnerman

You do not crimp in a AR?.Would be intresting to see what happens when you chamber a round and with out shooting it,eject it and measure COL.
Old November 25, 2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Sport45

Quote:
Would be intresting to see what happens when you chamber a round and with out shooting it,eject it and measure COL.
I've done that. Mine come out the same length they went in. I load two in the magazine. Fire the first and measure the second. (The first cartridge cycles the action a lot faster than I can.) It's neck tension, and not the crimp that holds the bullet in place. Many of my rifle bullets do not have a cannelure anyway.
Old November 25, 2010, 08:28 PM   #8
jepp2

I have seen them get shoved in and be pulled out at different times with AR's.

The chambering action is pretty violent with the AR. Even with M4 feed ramps I have had the bullets driven deeper into the case.

And the sudden stop is like an inertia bullet puller. The round stops so quickly, the bullet can shift forward.

I mostly shoot 55 gr. FMJ and put a crimp on them.

And yes, I full size and have good neck tension.
Old November 25, 2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Tim R

Quote:
You do not crimp in a AR?.Would be intresting to see what happens when you chamber a round and with out shooting it,eject it and measure

I don't crimp bullets for my match AR's. I don't crimp bullets for my match 308 M-1. IN fact I don't even crimp when loading match bullets for a 3006 M-1.

I do crimp my 30-30's though because there is a real concern there when loaded in a spring loaded tube mag.
Old November 26, 2010, 10:15 AM   #10
demigod

Quote:
I have quite a few that are 1.735 -1.745. Can these still be used ?
Those are fine! You'll possibly get a few loadings with those cases without having to trim them.

Some of that Federal WalMart bulk pack ammo comes with brass shorter than that.