The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Ideal Tool

Am I The Only One?

Hello, When I first began reloading, I used (still do) a very heavy "0" frame CH press. The spent primers were supposed to fall through a slot cut in back side of ram. These were always jamming up & primer grit was sticking to lubricant on the press. Finally, I got tired of the aggrivation, & mess. Cleaned up the press, and started de-priming with a punch & die set I made. I mentioned this to a long time hand loader & he said he had been doing it this way for years, to keep grit out of press & dies. Later, when I purchased a Forester Co-Ax, with it's nearly fool proof system of primer disposal, I couldn't break the habit. The de-priming set-up uses various sized bushings, for differen't head sizes..from .22 Hornet up to .45-70. The bushings seat in a c'bore in the top of a hollow steel cylinder, with removable bottom, where spent primers can be removed. It really is quite fast, and leaves the press & dies clean.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:10 AM   #2
t45

I have 2-single stage presses. I use my inexpensive Lee Challanger press to de-prime and my primers fall out into a little tray with no mess or hang ups. Occasionally I'll use my RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme and it does the same thing, no problems. I do have to wipe down the presses after de-priming several hundred because of the mess though.
Old November 21, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3
4runnerman

I have a RCBS single stage. I deprme many at one time(don't have to do it later). I just hung a plastic bag by discharge shute and all fall in there. I do clean it up a little after about 200 rounds though. I spray a little shot of cleaner in slot and wipe it down,, good to go again. Never have had a issue i guess.
Old November 21, 2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Tanker6

I use a Lee single stage and noticed old primers hanging up, etc. My initial thought was, "Great, this thing's not working right," but I realized that I needed to "sharpen the saw" every once in a while, so I took the press down and cleaned it. I'd probably done 1000 or so loads at that point. Afterwards, it was good as new. So, just like I clean my guns after shooting, I now clean my press after every 1000 rounds or so.
Old November 22, 2010, 11:10 AM   #5
demigod

That's the reason I bought a single stage.... to keep the grit off of my Dillon.

I just keep an old tooth brush handy and give it a few swipes every 50 rounds or so.

Heck NO am I hand decapping brass!!
Old November 22, 2010, 02:59 PM   #6
k4swb

I've been using a Hornady LNL AP for awhile now and the spent primer handling is great. After a few thousand rounds loaded it is as clean as when I started. Just doesn't get spent primer residue on it anywhere. My RCBS RS-5 single stage press needs constant wiping, brushing or blowing off.