The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
roy reali

Trail Boss Trial

I finally purchased some Trail Boss and even put together some loads using it. I looked up data at their website and saw that I could use it in many of my guns. So I narrowed it down to two for initial experimenting.

I decided to go to size extremes to start with. I put togehter loads for the .32 Smith and Wesson Long and the .45-70 Government. I used Lee Dippers to charge the cases. It is the strangest looking powder I have ever used. But it dipped very well. The scoop to scoop consistency was very good.

I will report on how well is shoots ASAP.

How much experimenting have any of you done with Trail Boss? What were your results?
Old November 14, 2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Sevens

I have never used it. Never say never, but I don't see it in my future. I think a LOT of folks really enjoy this powder for what it offers and what it does.

I can't get over the fact that for whatever you get out of it, it's awfully expensive, IMO. The cans aren't a full pound and the charge weights are quite heavy. Powder is typically the cheapest part of any handgun load, so I can't sit here and claim that it's "too expensive", but it does seem to me that it really costs more to use than most every other powder.

Folks say that it smells like nothing else out there when you shoot it. That right there makes me wanna try it!

But it's supposed to be a really nice, smooth, slow powder if that's what you seek.
Old November 14, 2010, 09:23 AM   #3
kraigwy

I really like trail boss. I don't find it that expensive. Yeah volume wise you don't get as much weight in a one pound can as you do other powders but I normally use cast bullets in light loads so the cost is offset.

I found that if you fill the case to the where the bottom of the bullet goes in, and take 75% of that as a starting load, you're pretty much right there.

Trail Boss fills up a lot of space making for a more consistent ignition and burn. DO NOT CRUSH THOSE LITTLE CHEERY O's when loading, no compressed charges allowed.

Its fun to shoot. I can shoot my 416 Rigby all day. In my 45-70 & 44-90 Sharps BN, I can equal black powder loads without the cleaning headache. Makes it fun to plink with my 375 H&H and 458 Winchester.

I built my grandson a 308, with trail boss I can teach him to shoot instead of flinch. With my vintage military rifles I can use TB and Cast bullets and get some good practice.

Its easy on brass which is another cost saving factor.

No Sir, Trail boss isn't that expensive when you think about it.

My only bitch about TB is that it wasn't around when I started reloading.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 14, 2010, 09:26 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

i like trail boss for mild handgun loads, it burns consistently, and is quite accurate. It really shines in cowboy action loads in revolvers.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:10 AM   #5
TXGunNut

Sounds like TB is designed for some of my favorite cartridges. Costs about the same per pound as conventional smokeless powders and uses very light charges by weight so it should be economical as well.
Hope Cabelas has some.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:12 AM   #6
JMP

Quote:
The cans aren't a full pound and the charge weights are quite heavy.
Check your data again. All the loads I've used it for are really light because its so bulky and it seems to last a long time for me. I haven't noticed a different smell either.
I do light .38 special loads for my dad with it and he loves them because of the reduced recoil.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Sevens

I must be thinking of one of the other stubby cans that only puts 14 ounces in there instead of the usual one pound.
Old November 14, 2010, 12:45 PM   #8
vico512

Another satisfied user, here. It might cost slightly more than some powders, but the increased cost is minimal. I like it a lot for my .44 Mag -- it makes great reduced-velocity loads that can shoot all day, and it's impossible to double-charge a case.
Old November 14, 2010, 01:11 PM   #9
TXGunNut

Welcome to the asylum, vico512!
Old November 14, 2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Roaddog

I just picked up a 45LC and so far all I have made up are 8.5gr. and 9.0 gr.
Unique. I think i will try Trail Boss in my 45-70 and 45LC. I hapen to have aa jar on the shelf.
Old November 14, 2010, 04:11 PM   #11
TXGunNut

Welcome to the asylum, roaddog! Looks like they had you in mind when they developed TB powder.
Old November 14, 2010, 04:50 PM   #12
jamesicus

Kraig Stewart wrote:
Quote:
.......... Its fun to shoot. I can shoot my 416 Rigby all day. In my 45-70 & 44-90 Sharps BN, I can equal black powder loads without the cleaning headache. Makes it fun to plink with my 375 H&H and 458 Winchester ..........
I feel the same way -- I really enjoy shooting my 458 Lott and other favorite heavy caliber rifles at the range using Trail Boss.
Old November 14, 2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Just search on my name and trail boss to see what I think of it...

OK, I won't make you search.

I LOVE TRAIL BOSS!

I use it primarily in my .44 Special, where it is exceptionally accurate.

I've also been using it in my .32-20. It does OK there, as well, when I'm not screwing things up and contaminating the powder with case lube and getting bullets stuck in the barrel... Long story...

I've also used it in my .38 Special for one of my elderly K frames. It's very happy with it.

I really like it for the fact that with any of those it's impossible to double charge the case, unlike any of the many other smokeless powders like 231. The last thing I want to do is double charge a case with 231 and blow the cylinder on my Model 24 or my circa 1912 .32-20.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 14, 2010, 05:53 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Trail Boss is good stuff.

I've used it in:
.22 WMR (it worked, but don't ask)
.32 S&W
.32 Auto
.32 S&W Long
.32 H&R
.327 Federal
9mm Luger
.243 Winchester
.270 Winchester
.30-40 Krag
7.62x54R

My first experiments were actually with the .270 Winchester. Since then, I've learned even more about how easy TB is to work with. I pretty much just figure out what my seating depth will be, add a 0.010"-0.030" air space between the powder and bullet base, and fill to that line. Whatever the test cartridge ends up with for charge weight is what the rest get.

Some of the funnest loads have been with .32 S&W Long and .327 Federal.
Old November 14, 2010, 06:09 PM   #15
roy reali

First Shots

This afternoon I touched off a few of my .45-70 Trail Boss loads. The rifle is a New England Handi Rifle. Normally, this rifle is not that fun to shoot due to recoil. With the Trail Boss loads its a pussycat. Seemed to be accurate too. Might be fun to try on Coyotes!

Clean up was easy. I am going to try them again from a bench for more scientific results.
Old November 14, 2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Aldadentist

I don't use trailboss in my 45-70 loads for my trapdoor. Hodgdon lists the presure at 22000+ and that is pushing the max pressure for these old rifles. I use 40 gr. of Varget with the 405 gr bullet for about 15000 lbs of pressure and about 1359 fps. Better pressure for the old girl and good accuracy.
Old November 14, 2010, 06:41 PM   #17
Crankylove

I have used or currently use Trailboss in .41 Rem Mag, .30-30 Winchester, .45 Auto, 9mm.......and am currently loading some up for my .22 Hornet and .358 Winchester.

For some good, fun plinking loads, or loads for new shooters to try, it can't be beat.
Old November 14, 2010, 06:50 PM   #18
roy reali

re:crankylove

Quote:
.45 Auto, 9mm
Does it cycle semi-autos?
Old November 14, 2010, 09:52 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Does it cycle semi-autos?
We'll make you no guarantees, but all of our testing has given an answer of, Yes for our pistols.

My 9mm (P95), his 9mm (Hi-Power), and our brother's 9mm (CZ-75) all functioned with Trail Boss (my load was 122 gr LFPs at 90-95% density, I don't remember what Crankylove's was). The .45 loads also functioned in a Kimber 1911 (5" bbl?) and two Springfield 1911s (3" and 4" barrels w/ 185gr SWCs, I believe - Crankylove will probably provide more details).
Old November 14, 2010, 10:30 PM   #20
Crankylove

Quote:
Crankylove will probably provide more details).
Am I that predictable?

Quote:
My 9mm (P95), his 9mm (Hi-Power), and our brother's 9mm (CZ-75)
Not a CZ-75, its actually a FEG Hi-Power clone.

Trail boss for my 9mm loads (shot in my Hi-Power, and I believe the FEG) were 124 Lead RN. I forget the exact charge weight, but I usually load my Trail boss loads arounds 75-80% case capacity once I find my bullet and O.A.L. Accuracy was good out to around 25 yds, and both guns had no cycling issues........although, any lighter load, and I think they may turn into single shots.

The .45 Auto loads use a 200 gr cast SWC (again with 75-80% filled). These loads from my 5" Kimber, cycled fine, and had good accuracy. Out of my 3" Springfield, they only cycle about half of the time (would eject the empty, but not quite send the slide far enough to the rear to pick up the next round) due to the stiffer springs in the compact versus full size.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:38 AM   #21
floydster

4.5 grs. TB pushing a 200 gr. cast is a dream to shoot in my 45 ACP.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:08 AM   #22
FlyFish

I use 4.6 gr of TB under a 200 gr RNFP for nice soft-shooting .45 Colt Cowboy loads. Because it has such low density, double charges of even such a light load would be immediately obvious, where a double load of a dense powder would get lost in the bottom of the huge .45 Colt case. I have found the rather large and light flakes can produce bridging problems in the pistol rotor of my Hornady powder measure, so I use the rifle rotor now even though there's a bit more variability in powder drops - for shooting large steel plates only 7 yards or so away a couple of tenths plus or minus really doesn't matter.
Old November 15, 2010, 03:15 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Not a CZ-75, its actually a FEG Hi-Power clone.
Ultimate fail.
Old November 15, 2010, 03:50 PM   #24
Doodlebugger45

I have used it and liked it in 38 spl, 357 mag, 44 mag and 45 LC. The other day I ran into something strange though. I had shot 6.1 gr of TB under a 200 gr hard cast bullet in my 45 Colt many times before with good results. But normally that is a very clean burning load. This time, the cases were filthy with black soot. After a cylinder full, the cylinder on my revolver was covered with black soot. The main difference that I can come up with is that all my other shooting with that combination was done when the air temperature was 75-80 degrees or so. The other day it was about 30 degrees. Not what I would call extreme cold by any means, but chilly compared to warm. Perhaps Trail Boss is sensistive to the temp.
Old November 15, 2010, 07:58 PM   #25
Crankylove

Quote:
Ultimate fail.
I forgive you........its dad that has the CZ.