The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 29, 2005, 04:14 PM   #26
Trip20

My Chevy has more stopping power than your Ford.

LOL - sorry I couldn't help it. I don't even own a Chevy!
Old December 29, 2005, 04:29 PM   #27
Jehzsa

My Kia Sorento will do it cheaper than Ford or Chevy. And with a better warranty.
Plus, if it is subjected to examination, well, how many out there speak Korean? Silence is golden.
Old December 29, 2005, 07:59 PM   #28
springmom

oh yeah?

Well, my Honda Civic will do it and get 35 mpg in the process, while carrying five adults. So nanny nanny boo boo.

(Did I just type "nanny nanny boo boo"????)

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 29, 2005, 08:19 PM   #29
Javelin Man

Honking

In Ohio, the proper procedure to pass someone on a two-lane road is to signal, HONK YOUR HORN, and then pass the person. When I failed to honk my horn when passing a truck and trailer as he was going 10 miles per hour on the road and then turned left without any signals, I was partially at fault for improper passing. Silly me, I was slamming on the brakes and turning the wheel too much to hit the horn. The driver was also partially at fault for non working lights. Neither one of us was cited, though.

Flashing the lights is not an adequate substitution for honking the horn when passing.

In all my years, only two people have ever passed me using the proper procedure, and one was a policeman.
Old December 29, 2005, 08:37 PM   #30
jburtonpdx

Quote:
Also that summer, four brothers were beaten by a group armed with bats, bottles, sticks and socks stuffed with canned food
An entire list of things for the Brady group to worry about....
Old December 29, 2005, 09:17 PM   #31
azurefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
maybe I'm the only one here but I've never understood this sort of thing. if a group of people were coming toward me in a menacing manner I'd mow them down (hopefully I wouldn't reverse to finish off any stragglers). If they had my car surrounded, same thing.
I feel the same way, but maybe we are not thinking of how this would end up looking if we did just that.

For one thing, we would not be viewing the situation through the lense of knowing that you would have gotten your head caved in by these guys if you had not run them down.

I fear that it would just look like, "Some nutjob ran down a bunch of 'kids' who were playing in the street!" Each of those 'kids' would be a witness to how you gunned your engine and just wantonly murdered a bunch of people. How would the public or the authorities ever know that what you did was avoid being beaten to death by the 'kids'? Each of those 'kids' would swear that the group had done nothing to menace you, and some prosecutor-with-a-name-to-make-for-himself would string you up.

-azurefly

Last edited by TheBluesMan; December 29, 2005 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language
Old December 30, 2005, 01:45 PM   #32
Recon7

+1 to azurefly I can hear the prosecutor now, "So, you are in a working car and don't drive away, did you think they would outrun you on foot?
besides, in my lifted hummer, I just pull up the ladder and they can't get in
Old December 30, 2005, 02:23 PM   #33
porkskin

3 of the milwaukee perps were in court today. for those of you who keep up with basketball, former wake forest star and nba rookie chris paul's grandfather was beaten to death in winston salem, nc by teenagers robbing him. happened about 5 years ago when c.p. was in highschool. the oldest of the group was 15 or 16. kids these days are REALLY scary...
Old December 30, 2005, 04:54 PM   #34
Blackwater OPS

better to be tried by 12 than carried by six. With the laws these days you would probably get 5-10 years. they would get dead.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old December 30, 2005, 05:35 PM   #35
Mikeyboy

My 2 cents is a mob is not going to sneak up on you. It starts looking bad, you lock the doors and roll up the windows, and you slowly continue driving. You never stop, just keep moving slowly give the mob a chance to get out of the way. You see a weapon, someone hits your car, break your window, or threatens your life you drive fast enough to get out of there, while still being in control of your vehicle. I think any Judge would be ok with that explaination of events.

P.S. Ford, Chevy, Kia....You need a high 4x4...Nissan X-Terra, and a Dodge "Ram" in my house
Old December 30, 2005, 05:41 PM   #36
joab

The horn laws that I have read state the it is illegal to use the horn "other than as a reasonable warning"
Not simply to warn of an impending accident.
He would have been absolutly justified in using the horn in this case IMHO.

(Did I just type "nanny nanny boo boo"????) Yes but you left out "stick your head in doo doo", that's my favorite part
Old December 30, 2005, 06:03 PM   #37
joab

Update
Looks like he is going to make it

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/30/mo....ap/index.html
Old December 30, 2005, 09:55 PM   #38
LICCW

I would like to know if the guy could see a crowd up ahead as he approached. If it was late at night and my lights illuminated a crowd twenty or thirty feet in front of me while driving down a side street, I'd first stop and reverse beefore I came to the crowd to avoid any BS. Its better to avoid the situation at all. If I have no choice and am surrounded I'm hitting whoever is in front of me and claiming I didn't see them. All I'd get would be a hit and run.
Old December 31, 2005, 06:22 AM   #39
jburtonpdx

Quote:
I would like to know if the guy could see a crowd up ahead as he approached. If it was late at night and my lights illuminated a crowd twenty or thirty feet in front of me while driving down a side street, I'd first stop and reverse beefore I came to the crowd to avoid any BS. Its better to avoid the situation at all. If I have no choice and am surrounded I'm hitting whoever is in front of me and claiming I didn't see them. All I'd get would be a hit and run.
I would do this now, about a week ago I might not have... I am still learning.
Old December 31, 2005, 06:48 AM   #40
Glock 31

Personally I would like to see the teens and individuals involved in mob beatings like these, lined up in the center of town and shot dead. I have stated before that today's youths amount to no more worth than nazis and kkk members. People like that shouldn't be entitled to civil rights. They have clearly demonstrated they are in no way productive members of society, and therefore should not benefit from the rights entitled to members of society under the law.

And this doesn't have anything to do with personal liberties either. The romans understood personal liberties even though they applied them more to the wealthy classes of their society. But acts like this back then would have resulted in swift and public punishment. We may have come along way as human beings and as a civilization, but some things should not be forgotten or abandoned.

Even today, what would happen to these youths in, say Singapore. Just cause we're the land of the free, doesn't mean we are obligated to pamper and protect the lives of worthless individuals such as this.
Old January 1, 2006, 09:21 AM   #41
saleen

You SEE?????!!!!! No CCW SAVES LIVES! Had this miscreant been carrying a weapon we likely would have had several dead youngsters --- the pride of Milwaukee --- callously cut down on their way to midnight basketball HAIL BRADY!

Can't you just taste the sarcasm?

Saleen
Old January 2, 2006, 02:17 AM   #42
newworldCurmudgeon

What not to do, part 2

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/dec05/381861.asp

"Samuel McClain said he gave a man $19 "expecting to get crack cocaine in return," then complained to a group milling in the street that he had "just been ripped off by the by the guy who drove away," the complaint says."

I guess if you don't try to buy crack you might be alright

"One of those charged Saturday, Latrail Chie Ball, told police the attack occurred spontaneously after McClain, 50, angered a gathering of young people who had been "playing music, dancing in the street and talking about their New Year resolutions," the complaint says.

The first person to call police about the gathering did so before the beating started, complaining at 10:33 p.m. that a crowd was in the street drinking and firing gunshots."

and I guess this is why no one got involved

Just my thoughts on this
Old January 2, 2006, 03:21 AM   #43
joab

You mean to tell me that there is more to the story, even I didn't see that one coming

Quote:
Robinson, who had never before been arrested, apologized for his involvement. He said he simply was "caught up in the beating" and "in the wrong place at the wrong time," the complaint says.

Ball said he was sad and wished he could "take back that moment.
"Well, bless their hearts. Looks like they've seen the error of their ways. or at least that remorse gets you a lighter sentance.
Old January 2, 2006, 11:57 AM   #44
springmom

well, now, isn't that interesting....

Much better to portray yourself as the hapless victim of a bloodthirsty mob, than to own up to starting a fight with 15-30 guys because you didn't get the crack cocaine you wanted!

So what do we learn from this?

Don't start fights with gangs of guys.
Don't use crack.
Don't lie to the cops.

I always tell my kids "whatever you've done, tell the truth, because I guarantee you I'll be WAY more mad if you lie to me". Too bad the "victim" never learned that lesson.....

Springmom the disgusted

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old January 2, 2006, 12:10 PM   #45
rapier144

Is this post still gun related?
Old January 2, 2006, 03:50 PM   #46
Hook686

12-28-2005, 12:04 PM #5
GetSetToJet

wrote:

Quote:

On a side note it is sad how so many people witness crimes and don't do anything to try and stop them. If a passerby or one of the women yelled that she had called the Police or maybe just yelled, 'THE POLICE' so as not to identify herself as the police but mearly state that there are, in fact, police I'm sure these cowards would have run off.
hmmm I'm thinking folks carry a weapon because they are afraid ... so here it is recommended that someone, a woman, take a confrontational position, in the midst of an angry crowd, most likely without any form of protection. If you that brave, why do you carry a weapon ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 2, 2006, 03:57 PM   #47
Hook686

Quote:
12-28-2005, 01:59 PM #14
PythonGuy

wrote:

Quote:
Which, evidently, is why statistics have proven that 81% of all motorcyclists on the road carry handguns.

Who exactly did thoses stats come from? The Hell's Angels.....

Out here in California, the local paper (Sacramento Bee) ran a story last year that indicated that the California Highway Patrol estimates that 60% of California drivers have a loaded gun in their car.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 3, 2006, 08:46 AM   #48
SMITH910

Some facts:

Father of 12!, Saw his picture on the front page the other day(courtesy of Milwaukee County Jail)

Got OUT OF HIS CAR, walked over to give a drug dealer $19, he sped off with his money. The "victim" was yelling and started yelling and complaining to the "mob" about what happened. He is known there as "SAM" because he buys crack there all the time. The guy who takes the $19 comes back and with another guy starts hitting him. The mob joins in.

Wonder why healthcare costs are so high? Guess who will have to pay for this morons $80,000 hospital stay??????

Freak.
Old January 3, 2006, 09:41 AM   #49
arnie08515

That's really sad. On Xmas no less. The other day I was driving through the local mall here in Pennsylvania when two "inner city youths" meandered across the road at a pace that would make a snail get a traffic ticket. They walked directly in front of my car, totally ignoring it. It was apparaent that they wanted to prove a point - "see what happens if you hit me." It totally surprised me. I slowed down waiting for them to clear out. Then I thought it could be car jacking. If either of them tried anything that's it. THEY ARE GOING TO BE UNDER OR OVER THE CAR AND LET THE JUSTICE SYSTEM WORRY ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES. I'll take the points against my driving record anytime if it comes to my safety. As I passed them they really checked me out, staring at me through the rear view mirror.

Shame about that poor guy in Wisconsin.

Signed

Soirry folks about New Jersey