The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 1, 2012, 07:41 PM   #1
sharpie443

Remington 1858 .44 cal BP revolver

This is a video of me shooting my Remington 1858 .44 cal black powder revolver and a table top review of it. I think more shooters should give black powder cap and ball revolvers a shot. The price per round is ridiculously cheep and because it takes time to load and clean you take more time when shooting it. It's one of my favorite guns to bring to the range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBWsr8NvNGI
Old April 1, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2
pohill

Well, one question I have is, have you ever owned or fired a Colt cap and ball revolver?
Old April 1, 2012, 10:27 PM   #3
sharpie443

yes. Two of them actually a steel framed .36 cal and a brass framed .44 cal. They shot way high out of the package but other than that the steel frame gun was fine. Had i spent some time modifying the rear sight It would have been fine but i ended up trading it for a .68 caliber Harpers ferry flint lock pistol. My point in the vidio was that new shooters are going to want a gun that can get results with out of the package and not have to modify anything. For someone who is buying there first cap and ball gun i would recommend the Remington 1858. The sights are still crude but better over all and it's easier to disassemble and clean.
Old April 2, 2012, 03:10 AM   #4
pohill

You are certainly welcomed to your opinion. I have never had to modify a Colt. Are far as ease of cleaning and disassembling - again, your opinion. How often do you take your Remington apart to check for spent caps, clean crud, etc? And why would use use oil in a black powder gun?
Old April 2, 2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

They are fun. My first bp/ml type gun was a Rem. Army .44 bought in kit form from Dixie.
Unfortunately, like everything else, the cost of ml shooting has risen and per shot cost is not much different that handloaded cf these days. That cost can be reduced by casting your own balls.
BTW, a C&B revolver is like any other gun or mechanism, it needs lubrication.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:39 AM   #6
sharpie443

I take it apart completely about every third time I shoot it to clean the internals. If I feel something when i pull the hammer back like there is a cap in there then i will take it apart at that point. I use ballistol and water to clean the gun after each time at the range and I us straight ballistol when i know I need to store it for a bit.
Old April 2, 2012, 03:09 PM   #7
deerslayer303

Nice video Sharpie. Be careful around here talking about one type of the revolvers vs the other , Its worse than the age old Ford vs. Chevy debates LOL. Its all good though.
Old April 5, 2012, 11:48 AM   #8
orangello

I have greatly enjoyed my Remington replica as well, and my nephew has enjoyed the other revolver from the pair i purchased on this forum (thanks!). He did make a mistake in loading by somehow getting two balls in two chambers before realizing he had goofed, and this was loading with the lever, not a press. He now knows to count out/lay out everything to load up a cylinder at one time.