The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Reloadkid

Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure

I thought this would be interesting:

On Youtube I saw someone with a Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure mounted on a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press. I am curious whether this required a custom mount or can it be directly installed to your expanding die. If so, can it be done for pistol reloads.

Any input would be a beautiful thing.

Thanks
Old November 26, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2
CrustyFN

Quote:
On Youtube I saw someone with a Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure mounted on a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press. I am curious whether this required a custom mount or can it be directly installed to your expanding die. If so, can it be done for pistol reloads.
Yes. Unscrew the top on the expander die and the pro auto disk will screw on to the die. Make sure you have the spring return installed on the measure. It works great for pistol ammo.
Old November 26, 2010, 08:16 PM   #3
GP100man

As long as there lee dies there made to accept the autodisc or the prodisc.
Old November 26, 2010, 09:59 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

Yes, the Pro Auto Disk mounts to the expander/powder-through die. That is how I use it on my Classic Turret press. Same die and measure combo would just as easily mount to the Challenger press.

On the Turret press you want to have the riser screwed on between the measure and die to raise it above the Safety Prime as it rotates around. But without the Safety Prime, OR without the measure rotating on a turret, there is no need for the riser.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 26, 2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Taroman

What he said^^^
Plus, I have found that using the riser with the Auto-Disk makes the cycling smoother- especially on shorter cases. Also makes fitting/removing the measure much faster/easier..

Si vis pacem, para bellum