The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 15, 2015, 09:55 PM   #1
zachattack2

Ar-15 9mm Luger accuracy

I want to get a AR-15 in 9mm Luger but I have one concern.

People say the Ar15 in 9mm Luger has bad accuracy at 100 yards? Is that true?
People say it gets 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards and I some say it gets better groupings.
As long as it can get around 3 inch groupings at 100 yards I'll be happy cause the ammo is cheap and it is very neat.

Does anybody know anything about how accurate it would be at 100 yards?

Thanks a lot,
Zach
Old February 16, 2015, 12:44 AM   #2
Ibmikey

I have a Colt 6450 9mm LE Carbine, it is a fun shooter and operates flawlessly. I shoot it for fun so primarily at rocks, dirt clods and soda cans out to about fifty yards. I have never printed it at 100 and cannot think of a time when I would require MOA accuracy at that distance, at fifty it will put shots one on top of the other if benched.
Old February 16, 2015, 12:48 AM   #3
tahunua001

it depends on what you're shooting out of it. due to the variance in pistol ammunition the accuracy is harder to achieve than with an intermediate cartridge. with the finest hand loads propelling light and fast projectiles, you could probably pull as well as 2 MOA from it or even better but if all you're shooting is bulk pack then yes, 4 MOA is probably about as good as you'll do. 9mm doesn't have a whole lot of energy at 100 yards anyway, I generally shoot at 50 yards to eleviate that issue.
Old February 18, 2015, 05:13 PM   #4
zachattack2

Also
Does anybody have any suggestions for a red dot sight?

I would prefer a sight around $100 but more wouldn't kill me.
I want a the dot to be biggest 5 MOA at 100 yards but I would like It around 2 or 3 MOA at 100 yards.
I like the bushnell red dot sights but I am open to advice on what brand to get.

My second question is should I get a reflex or tube red dot sight? I like the open view with the reflex sight but I don't know which is better?

Thanks,
Zach
Old February 18, 2015, 07:09 PM   #5
HJ857

I have the Bushnell TRS25 on my AR-9 and it's been great. I also have a Vortex SPARC, gen 1 on a different AR. I've had the Vortex for a good while now and it has a ton of rounds on it and it's rock solid. I've had the Busnell for almost two years now and it's been on the 9mm the whole time including a bunch of PCC matches.

Vortex has a great warranty but I like the Bushnell a lot better. With a both eyes open technique, the Bushnell disappears more easily than the Vortex, which is noticeably larger.
Old February 18, 2015, 07:50 PM   #6
zachattack2

HJ,
I was looking at the bushnell TRS-25, it looks great and is at the top of my list right now for a red dot sight.
I am still looking at other ones to see if I can find a better one but I like the TRS-25 cause it's got a 3 MOA dot at 100 yards and with my 9mm I will probably shoot at 50 yards more often.

Few questions,
How is the battery life on it?
Does it fade and become weak quick, and how strong is the red dot?

Sincerely,
Zach
Old February 18, 2015, 08:18 PM   #7
precision_shooter

Is this a wishful thinking purchase well into the future, or a I almost have the money for one and trying to make my mind up on what I should get?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 18, 2015, 08:35 PM   #8
skizzums

I am close to having my 9mm done, just waiting on masdefense to get their 5.5" barrels back in stock. I ust ordered a bolt fom tactcal ambush. so if your looking for a cheaper 9mm build, check out those two sites for parts.

http://www.tacticalambush.com/AR-15-...ROUP_c_69.html

http://www.shop.masdefense.com/9MM_c34.htm

I went with an 80% lower I had sitting around for a year or so, but if I was starting from scratch I would probably get a complete lower from PSA, hard to beat that price. I would think if 100 yard accuracy is your goal, you need to be looking at full length 14.5-16" barrels, which will probably be easier to find as well.
Old February 18, 2015, 09:10 PM   #9
zachattack2

Precision,
I am going to get a scope after I get my ar-9mm upper.
Old February 19, 2015, 10:17 AM   #10
HJ857

I'm pretty sure that I'm still using the original battery after two years. I have never noticed fading at all. The dot can be extremely bright, it is not a problem in full sunlight. If you try paper punching, turning the brightness down makes the dot more defined and appear smaller. But it's not a precision optic in any way.
Old February 19, 2015, 10:25 AM   #11
zachattack2

I am still deciding between an AR-15 in 9mm or 22lr.

So I have a question,
Do you need an extra heavy buffer spring for the 22lr AR?
Because it is recoil operated like the 9mm do you need it?

Thanks,
Zach
Old February 19, 2015, 10:28 AM   #12
tahunua001

no, 22LR has so little recoil to begin with, that the spring is not an issue.

basically, if you build a 9mm AR you are building a dedicated rifle, it is such a pain in the butt to convert back and forth that it's better to just buy a second AR for other calibers. 22LR is pretty much just a new bolt carrier group and special mags away from it's original 223.
Old February 19, 2015, 11:30 AM   #13
Ibmikey

As I indicated earlier I have a Colt 9mm which of course is a dedicated rifle, I also have a DPMS dedicated .22 LR M4 carbine that gives all the feel of a true AR but the proper twist (1/16) to stabilize the .22 round. Actually as much fun as this .22 is my S&W 15-22's are more fun and all of the controls work just like their bigger brothers. Shoot the Smith an you will be hooked.