The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 2, 2013, 06:45 AM   #1
scoutman

Weight

Any one want to venture a guess on the weight savings gained by swabbing out the wooden stock on a 336 say for a composite like the Ramline youth.

Trying to get the weight of a 336 down to +/- 7 lbs with scope.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:39 AM   #2
PawPaw

Be careful. Not all composites are lighter than wooden stocks. Some are, some aren't. Several years ago I swapped out the wooden stocks on a Winchester 94. The wood stock was trashed and I went with a Ram-Line composite stock. The stock fit well and the stock swap was easy, but when I weighed the rifle afterwards, the rifle had gained 4 ounces. Turns out, that Ram-Line composite weighed more than the wood stock. Go figure.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 2, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
jmr40

Probably none, and it my well weigh more. I've weighed a lot of stocks and have found that most of the inexpensive plastic stocks weigh more than comparable wood. The only synthetics that offer any weight savings are the $600 customs made by McMillan and the other high end custom stock makers.

If you want a 7 lb scoped rifle you need to be looking at bolt rifles. Lever guns are just too heavy. About the lightest are just under 7 lbs up to 8 lbs before adding glass. There are plenty of bolt rifles from 5 lbs up to just over 6 lbs that could easily be kept under 7 lbs scoped. And many cost less than a lever action.

These are photos of one of my 870's in both a factroy plastic stock and factory walnut. The plastic stock is 1/4 lb heavier.

Old March 2, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
L_Killkenny

Average run of the mill 20" Marlin 336's weigh in around 7lbs, Winchester and their clones weigh in less, pistol caliber carbines less, 16" trapper types less. As a matter of fact it's a lot easier finding 8lbs bolt guns than 8lbs lever guns.

I'm not sure what the weight savings will be changing out stocks. Guns can be as much about balance as weight. And a few ounces here or there can definitely change the feel of a gun. Personally I feel weight of a gun can be very misleading and I've seen heavier guns that carry and feel lighter than other, lighter guns. Take the lever vs. bolt gun. Even in comparable weights the lever guns carries better and within the realm of .30-30 lever guns, the Win 94 has a completely different feel than the chunkier 336 despite only a few ounces weight difference. But it's just dang hard to get one gun, regardless of platform, lighter than the next. They all need stocks, receivers, bolts and barrels of a minimum thickness. All the OP can do is change the stocks and see what happens.