The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 26, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
bjlffire

What gun to get 13y/o for comp

My son has been shooting in some .22 steel matches(doing very well) and want to graduate up.
We think, just for his age and size we should stay with a 9mm.

Any suggetions on what to get him?

He has not decided on type of comp, just knows he wants to move up.

Thanks
Old September 26, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Creeper

Welcome to the Asylum...
Quote:
He has not decided on type of comp, just knows he wants to move up.
Unless you're rolling in cash, you might want to wait and see what that competition might be. Saying that, for a high quality, entry level gun, the Springfield XDM 5.25 in 9mm is becoming quite popular in IDPA.

C
Old September 26, 2012, 09:02 PM   #3
bjlffire

He seen Doug K. shoot at PASA in IL.
Thinks that would be fun.
Just shooting,no behind cover issue.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4
kraigwy

Beretta 92FS' are easy for kids to shoot. Accurate, and can be used in just about any pistol competition out there.

Many say its too big, but not from what I've seen. I moved up all my grandkids, some from the age of 8, to the Beretta and haven't had any problems.

You should try to find one to rent or barrow, let him try it, I think he'll like it. Then you can be like me, having all the kids and grandkids fighting over it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 27, 2012, 05:16 AM   #5
Radagast

If money is no object, and he wishes to move up to centerfire steel matches, then http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-steel-master/
If he gets heavily involved (high round count training) then there is the rare possibility of stress fractures in the wrist. A compensated gun will mitigate that.
I disagree with kraigwy on the 92fs - I use it for newbies and kids training as its a very forgiving gun, but the double action is long and heavy and not really suited to small hands. USPSA & IDPA will require him to start with the hammer down. If he is after a 'service' or production configured gun, then the CZ75 SP01 Shadow would be my pick. Steel frame, accurate, relatively inexpensive, DA/SA. He can shoot it in single action until his hands are fully grown and compete in Limited with minor power factor loads if he desires. When his hands are big enough to crank off rounds in double action then it will be very competitive in USPSA Production. I don't know if it meets the restrictions for IDPA SSP.

FWIW my background is as a former IPSC PD competitor. I was selected for the Australian team once upon a time. Back then 8 out 10 top Aussie PD shooters shot Glocks. The year after the Shadow was released it was 9 out of ten shooting Shadows.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Hunter Customs

If you are wanting to stay with a 9mm, Springfield and STI makes some nice 9mm 1911 style guns.

Most competition shooters will be shooting 1911 style guns, there's good reasons for that.

The main reason is the trigger system in a 1911 can be tuned to a desireable pull weight for competition use.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 27, 2012, 12:57 PM   #7
bjlffire

We are going to TO Gun in Arnold Missouri next Friday(school is out) they have an indoor range and have a bunch of guns to rent.
He has made a list of what he thinks he wants to start with:
92FS
Caracal
XD
M&P
G17

He wants to shoot a 1911.45 and I will let him there but it is not on the table to get for him because of the possible injuries to wrist and elbow.

Thanks
Old September 27, 2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Steviewonder1

The key here is to get something that will fit in his hands. He is still growing and will be able to shoot a larger gun in 4-5 years. Good Luck to him.
Old September 27, 2012, 03:40 PM   #9
chadio

Cost no object.... SigSauer P210
Old September 27, 2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Don P

Quote:
He wants to shoot a 1911.45 and I will let him there but it is not on the table to get for him because of the possible injuries to wrist and elbow.
Just stick to the 22 if you are worried about injuries. Granted recoil will be less with a 9 but rmember double stacked 9's have some weight to them.
He wants to run and gun, then USPSA. To me its a track and field event with a gun. Move as fast as you can slinging lead
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 28, 2012, 10:03 PM   #11
1stmar

If you reload you could get the 45 and only load to minor until he is ready for major pf
Old October 1, 2012, 01:41 AM   #12
MarkDozier

I agree with loading to minor as soon as he can safely handle the 45. Buy one 45 and you set for life. Of course once he is bitten by the 45 bug he will go broke buying them.
Old October 1, 2012, 07:29 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

choices ain't forever

The S&W M&P in 9x19 offers a superb platform and the ability to change its 'handle' size.
Old October 4, 2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Jesse Tischauser

M&P 9L or M&P 9 Pro. They different grip pannels woudl be great for smaller hands and those guns are nice!
Old October 21, 2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Arkie45

+3 on the M&P 9mm platform. Very reliable, accurate, not very heavy, and light recoil. A good friend's 15 year old son out-shot about half of us at IDPA last week with a M&P 9mm FS.