The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 23, 2012, 05:24 PM   #76
batmann

I'm with Big P----the worst pistol I have ever owned is a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup. Beautiful pistol, extremely accurate, when it would run, but keeping it running, well--------------I also had a S&W .44M that would lock up at times. BOTH are gone now and good riddence.
I have been very lucky as, with the exception of those two, all of my firearms have been keepers.
Old April 23, 2012, 07:19 PM   #77
geetarman

Ruger MkIII.

It was so bad, I ground it up and threw it away. I will never have another.

Geetarman
Old April 23, 2012, 09:30 PM   #78
Doug S

Taurus PT111. Broke within the first 60 shots of the first range session. Gun was purchased NIB.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old April 23, 2012, 09:38 PM   #79
hAkron

Taurus didn't do too well in this thread! Never owned one, but I did rent a .357 Taurus revolver at the range. Had to take it back up to the counter when the cylinder fell off. I guess a screw that holds it on the gun worked its way out.

Worst gun I ever bought was a Walther PPK/s, a recent production Smith and Wesson one. Had to send it back to S&W on day 2 of ownership. 9 short weeks later I had it back. The new slide they put on it must have been beat on with a brick. The rails were all scratched up. Sold it for a huge loss, the buyer wanted to lower the price nether $20 after seeing the rails.
Old April 23, 2012, 09:57 PM   #80
Cheapshooter

Haven't found one yet! But I have been trying.
Attempt #1.
Heritage Rough Rider. Bought it on a whim, but had been wanting a "cowboy" 22. Great little shooter, Accurate, and fun to shoot. As long as I remember that stupid safety opposite the loading gate! Still wouldn't say it's a POS.

Attempt #2
Bought a Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly on a whim also. And because it was the first one I saw plus a great price. I've found it to be reliable, and accurate with 45 Colt. Also reliable, and accurate with the new handgun specific buckshot loads holding a tight pattern of 2-3 inches, and point of aim accuracy at normal SD distance of 10 yds. In addition it holds a snake proof pattern with #7 1/2 shot out to 10-15 feet for the perfect snake protection.

Attempt #3
Bought a Hi-Point C9 just to see how bad they really are, and found out that are not bad at all. 100% reliable function, and one of the most accurate out of the box 9MM's I've shot.

I guess my next attempt will be a Taurus 922 22 LR/ 22 Mag convertible. Or maybe a PT22 Poly just 'cause they're "cute"
Unless of course the KAHR Arms CM9 I won the bid on at the NRA Foundation Banquet Auction turns out to be one!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 24, 2012, 04:16 AM   #81
kcub

to heck with guns, buy a lottery ticket

then you can change your nom de guerre to EXPENSIVESHOOTER
Old April 24, 2012, 07:25 AM   #82
franco45

Diamondback DB380, multiple feed and trigger reset problems. Beretta 3032, the frame cracked after 80 rounds.
Old April 24, 2012, 07:46 AM   #83
stu925

I guess the worst gun I own is an old W. German single action .22 that they called the L.A. Deputy. My father gave it to me when I told him I was looking for a cheap .22 to plink with (he actually gave it to me to keep me from buying a Jennings). He couldn't remember how he had acquired the revolver, just found it in a box in his closet one day. The gun shaves lead when fired but actually shoots snake shot pretty well and has thus become my snake gun so it still serves a purpose. I also own 3 top break revolvers that were handed down by family members, 2 H&R and 1 Iver Johnson that may qualify since none of them works all that well. Maybe I should drag out those top breaks and see what can be done to fix them.

Stu
Old April 24, 2012, 08:28 AM   #84
Motownstan

32 Seecamp Jam-o-matic with recommended Winchester ammo and hard to shoot with a one finger grip. Traded if off after a couple months. Still have my Kel-Tec P-32, which is a waaayyy better gun.
Old April 24, 2012, 10:16 AM   #85
Cheapshooter

Quote:
then you can change your nom de guerre to EXPENSIVESHOOTER
LOL The wife already thinks it should be!
Old April 24, 2012, 05:16 PM   #86
Therealkoop

#1 worst: Jennings .380. It was free, and it blew the side of the chamber/barrel off at less than 50 rounds. Melted it with a torch (incredibly easy).

#2: Springfield GI- USED AND HOME SMITHED. Got it as a bunch of parts for 250$. Rear sights filed past use and falls out, broken ejector leg, broken ejector arm. Holes drilled for rail, Plunger tube leg broken off, different barrel installed that was incredibly poorly fitted. Backyard gunsmiting at its best.

bought a spring and pin kit, new plunger, new extractor. Fitted the barrel the best I could and put a bunch of old 1911 parts I had lying around in it. Shoots reliably with ball now, and Ive got about 300$ in it total.
Old April 25, 2012, 04:34 AM   #87
kcub

Quote:
32 Seecamp Jam-o-matic with recommended Winchester ammo and hard to shoot with a one finger grip.
Surprising.
I've had one in my back pocket for 20 years.
No jams with Silvertips, the only thing I use.
Old April 25, 2012, 09:21 PM   #88
reaganmarine84

Gee. for all the posts that list a Taurus,it seems like Taurus is in good company. Let's see:Glock,Colt,Kahr,Smith&Wesson,Ruger,Walther,Beretta,Springfield,Sterling and some surprises with Wilson Combat and Kimber. Seems to me that any firearms company,even high $$$ companies can produce poopers. In some ways,I think that just because of the sheer high volume of Taurus firearms out there in the world,the chances of finding/having a poor one is also higher.
Taurus 24/7 Pro DS 9mm & .40;(2)Taurus OSS DS 9mm;Taurus OSS DS .40;Taurus 809;809 compact;840;PT709 "slim" SS;PT738;full size BUL Cherokee;SCCY CPX-2;Smith&Wesson BG .380;Arcus 98 DA;EAA witness P 9mm;I.O. inc. AK-47C;Zastava PAP;Mossberg 500 tactical;Marlin model 60.
Old April 26, 2012, 07:17 PM   #89
teddybear

Walther P22, traded it for a Beretta neos
Old April 26, 2012, 08:30 PM   #90
Don P

Jenning's Jam-O-Matic 22lr
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 26, 2012, 10:40 PM   #91
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Walther P22, traded it for a Beretta neos
Oh yea, forgot about that one. That would be Attempt #4 (post #80). With the same results as the other 3. Runs perfect with the right ammunition, Accurate enough for the short sight radius, and style of the gun, and it's been tons of fun at the range!
Old April 27, 2012, 08:20 AM   #92
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
Shad, you ever heard the old saw, "Fool me once, shame on you ....fool me twice, shame on me."?
Sure have. Some were gifts and the Kimbers were bought pretty much at the same time.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:52 AM   #93
KMAX

Bersa

Worst handgun I ever owned was a Bersa Thunder 380. It broke twice in 500 rounds. I loved shooting it until it broke.Maybe I expected too much from an inexpensive gun. Worst rifle was a Stevens 22 auto I had when I was a teenager. It ate firing pins. Sold it to a buddy that liked full auto 22s.

Only trouble I ever had with a half dozen Tauruses was a 740 Slim had more recoil than I wanted to deal with.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old April 27, 2012, 09:26 AM   #94
Denezin

For me it was my first ever handgun purchase. A heritage rough rider .22lr or .22 mag (depending on cylinder used). Bad trigger mixed with poor asthetics right out of the box made it a horror. Plus if you did it just right it would jam right up for ya everytime. Now for the worst ever gun handled? i borrowed a taurus pt92 once when my other hg got stolen. Feed reliable but accuracy was terrible. Shot a 2 inch group at 10 yards cept it was 10 inches low and 6 inches right. I moved the sight way way left and it got better but still shot extremely low.
Old April 27, 2012, 11:15 AM   #95
PPBart

Wow -- four pages of posts about bad guns and nobody has bashed Hi-Point yet! Maybe those who bought H-P are ashamed to admit? It does seem like every other major brand has had it's share of duds.

Disclaimer: I have never owned a Hi-Point of any caliber, but might still be pursuaded to buy one.
Old April 27, 2012, 01:32 PM   #96
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPBart View Post
Wow -- four pages of posts about bad guns and nobody has bashed Hi-Point yet! Maybe those who bought H-P are ashamed to admit? It does seem like every other major brand has had it's share of duds.

Disclaimer: I have never owned a Hi-Point of any caliber, but might still be pursuaded to buy one.
Hi Point actually makes a fantastic gun for the price they ask. Quite reliable and great customer service. I wouldn't own one because I like a bit more fit, finish, and longevity from a pistol,but I'd own one before owning a Taurus for reliability.
Old April 27, 2012, 03:07 PM   #97
Silent Bob

Kimber Ultra Eclipse II. The most expensive and worst handgun I ever bought. Could not get through a single magazine without some sort of malfunction. The whole experience nearly left me with PTSD.
Old April 28, 2012, 05:52 AM   #98
gyvel

(1) Biggest POS was a Ruger SP 101 .22lr. It would lock up in rapid double action fire. It went back to Ruger three times and three times came back NOT fixed. I traded it in for something else.

(2) Browning BDM, complete with Zamak parts and internal parts held in place with silicon RTV.

(3) Turkish made Regent R100, purchased on the strength of a "glowing' report by the American Rifleman. It taught me to NOT believe anything I read in that publication.
Old April 28, 2012, 05:56 AM   #99
kcub

Many DA revolvers can lock up in rapid fire if you don't fully release the trigger.

Older S&Ws are the most forgiving.
Old April 28, 2012, 08:15 PM   #100
gyvel

Quote:
Many DA revolvers can lock up in rapid fire if you don't fully release the trigger.
That wasn't the case with the SP101. I'm well aware that DA revolvers need the trigger released completely before resetting for the next DA shot.

On the SP101, something was binding internally during rapid DA firing. Ironically, cocking the hammer for a SA shot would somehow "put everything back to rights," and the gun would function normally for a couple of DA shots, then lock up again.

I could never figure it out, and, apparently, neither could Ruger, hence, it went bye-bye.

I will say that this is the ONLY DA revolver which gave me that problem; I have never had a Colt, Smith or any foreign DA lock up like that.

Last edited by gyvel; April 29, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
cheap , gun , hand gun , pistol