The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 8, 2012, 09:21 PM   #26
bacardisteve

While my H&R isnt the handi rifle mines the ulra rifle. Pretty much the same gun but with a laminated stock and bull barrell. Awesome guns and very accurate. Mine is in 450 marlin and its a blast to shoot. Its certainly an attention grabber at the range when I drop in a 500gr barnes buster. You will love your big bore!
Old December 11, 2012, 01:36 PM   #27
ole shooter

Check the bore!!!!!!!

This is my first post and I joined to pass this information. Where I don't have the Handi itself, I do have the H&R (NEF) 45/70 Buffalo Classic. Even though I would imagine my rifle is a bit heavier than yours, it was a brute for kick with some factory ammo. I added the lace on "Kick Killer" butpad and filled a 3/4" copper pipe with lead to install in the stock bolt access hole. That sent the kick off to a new home. lol The pull is now a tad long ,but still a joy to shoot. I do reload and am having problems with leading in the bore with 300 gr. hard cast lead. It shoots jacketd bullets like a dream. I should have known enough to check the rifling closer but just didn't just cleaned it and started playing. I have tried IMR 3031 amd AA 5744 in low vel. loads but is still leading from the Suters Choice 300 gr. bullets. I'm not giving up by any means, and will send in for re-barrel if need be. Other than these cautions, I think you will really enjoy that rifle. There is a video on You Tube of a fella loading 45/70 sitting on a tree stump with the cheap Lee Classic Loader. The full set of powder dippers is something on the order of $10-$12. I have a fairly new Hornady single station but am still going to order the portable little kit. I am quite intregued with the Handi rifle platform and plan to get some, as I enjoy single shooting. Sure hope this rambling info helps some . ole shooter.
Old December 21, 2012, 10:20 AM   #28
jal5

Finding a 45-70 barrel for my Handi rifle is on my list for 2013. I love those little rifles and have several centerfire, shotgun, and muzzleloader- they are versatile, easy to work on yourself, and if you reload you have a variety of options for ammo. Enjoy!
Old December 23, 2012, 02:38 PM   #29
KevininPa

"Thanks JHenry, I think I'm going to love this gun once I get it in my hands. How old are your boys? I have two of my own 17 & 10, the 10yr old limes shooting. He has put claim on my S&W 15-22. He's getting very good with it. He wants to shoot a hog or a deer, so, I've been thinking of a 243 for him. The gun shop around the corner has a used Handi in 223. I was thinking of that for him."

Don't get one in .223! It's a great general purpose round, but every darn scare empties the shelves. I have a pump in .223 and every time Obama nods his head, I can't easily find ammo.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:48 PM   #30
tahunua001

I do not own a 45/70 but if I ever found one with the right price I would buy it in a heart beat. they are one of the most versatile rounds I've ever seen. my brother in law has 2 of them and he tinkers with a number of loads.

his elk this year was shot with a 416 grain hard cast hollow point bullet, more than enough stopping power to drop a buffalo if needed. believe it or not, it doesn't kick all that bad out of a lever action but I wouldn't want to try those loads out of his contender.

he has rigged up a 'pop gun' casing that uses offset 22lr blanks as charge and you just pop a 45 cal round ball in the casing and let her rip, it sounds like a bb gun going off and it decapitates squirrels, great for vermin control especially if you have close neighbors

my favorite is his 'bucking ball' loads where he loads the powder, plugs it with a gas check, then follows with bird shot and caps it off with a round ball, he used the bucking ball to finish off his elk and it still easily penetrated the skull. I think those would be an amazing home defense load but what do I know.

Last edited by tahunua001; December 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:59 PM   #31
shootniron

The 45/70 will do everything the 30/30 will do and it is a great place to start reloading, However, if you are going to shoot it much, you will have to reload due to cost of factory 45/70 ammo. If it were me, I would proceed with the purchase and get a Lee loader and learn and shoot,
Old December 23, 2012, 11:16 PM   #32
breakingcontact

I think it's a cool gun and I'm not into that kind of thing. Enjoy.