The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 21, 2015, 10:13 AM   #26
AK103K

Ive always liked them. Bought my first, a Colt SP1 back in 74, for the princely sum of $225. Still have it, and its had a boatload of rounds through it over the years. Have a lot of rounds downrange out of M16's of various set ups too.

The AR is one of the most versatile, and can be one of the more accurate platforms out there. These days, I have four of them, The SP1 is still "stock". One Armalite is set up as a "precision" type rifle. The other two, an Armalite and S&W, are set up as basic working rifles, with BUIS and an Aimpoint mounted. Im not into hanging a ton of stuff on them. Good sights and a good sling, a pile of reliable mags, is really all thats necessary.

I like all the others too, for the most part, and have owned at least one (and usually multiples) of most of them. The "issue" versions of most of them, all seem to shoot about the same. Some are better at being target rifles, but when shot in a little more realistic manner, they all seem to shoot similarly.

After spending a lot of time with all of them, its the AK's that I find myself drawn to for all around use. I just find them handier, more natural to shoulder, and shoot with.
Old January 28, 2015, 06:40 PM   #27
chris in va

I tried very hard to like my S&W Sport. Great rifle, never jams, accurate...but all those protrusions and buttons makes for an ungainly and awkward platform.

I find the Mini 14 to be much more streamlined, and the reciprocating bolt handle a much easier way to operate the action.
Old January 29, 2015, 08:59 AM   #28
Rimfire5

I was always down on ARs also because I never shot one that was anywhere near as accurate as my bolt action CZ. My CZ is a 1:9 Varmint and it averaged 0.483 with all bullets weights from 35 to 75 grains over 1439 groups and 362 different loads of powder-bullet combinations.
Then I finally broke down and bought a Les Baer Super Varmint 1:8 with an 18 inch barrel. They guarantee 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards so I thought it might get close to the CZ.
So far, after 139 groups it has averaged 0.450 for 5 shot groups at 100 yards with 69 through 77 grain powder bullet combinations. The best load averages 0.250 at 100 yards for 5 round groups.

I now really enjoy shooting the Les Baer as much as my bolt action.
It cost a bunch more than my CZ, more than 3 times a much, but it was worth it to me and has changed my opinion of ARs.
Old January 29, 2015, 09:30 AM   #29
olddav

You just cant controll what cranks your tractor, I'm with the OP. I would step over a pile of AR's to get to a M1 Garand, unless I had a buyer for the AR's then I'd pick up a couple.
Old January 29, 2015, 11:46 AM   #30
osbornk

Sign of age?

I guess you're old like me when you think a pistol grip belongs on a pistol and a stock belongs on a long gun. We also think a single shot shotgun is simply a farmer's tool used for varmints and only occasionally used for hunting.
Old January 29, 2015, 07:26 PM   #31
Pat T

You don't have to like them. Shoot the guns you like and enjoy it. All we ask is that you don't go Jim Zumbo on us, LOL!
Old January 31, 2015, 10:52 AM   #32
g.willikers

It's relatively lately that ARs have become so popular.
When they originally came onto the civilian market, it was quite different.
The first one I can recall seeing in a gun store was the late 1970s, and the owner said he couldn't give one away.
Maybe still to close to the Viet Nam fiasco and all those bad memories.
It was a handle top Colt priced at $250 and had been hanging on the wall so long that it was covered with dust.
Times sure have changed.
Old February 1, 2015, 07:49 PM   #33
Ignition Override

A friend is storing his guns at my house, including an original (non "green box")
AR-15. No accessories.

It has not interested me even before watching the Youtube video on various parts to be disassembled for cleaning. After watching the disassembly, I've seen less of a reason to use his AR.

My SKS is much easier to clean and meets my objectives. Only classical rifles/handguns with character appeal to me.
Let's count our blessings for the AR's vast popularity! Imagine what our SKS, CMP (S. Grade) Garands and Enfield #4/#5s would cost!
Old February 1, 2015, 07:50 PM   #34
zachattack2

If you think the feel is cheap on the gun, get better parts or parts that you like the feel of.

If you want a AR-15 for cheap and buy crap parts it might feel like a peice of crap but if you buy nice parts and spend your money and build it right it will feel nice and like a gun you would want.
You can also get parts that look different and maybe you will like the look it that's what you don't like

What AR-15 did you shoot? Was it a nice one? And if it was someone else's maybe you didn't like the look or feel? If so get your own and make it how you like it!

Sinceraly,
Zach
Old February 2, 2015, 01:45 AM   #35
FlySubCompact

OP,

I thought I was the only gun guy on the internet who has no desire to own an AR. Shot two in my life. One, thirty years ago and then again about ten years ago. Neither rifle made me think: "Gotta save my pennies for that."

I did get to shoot an M14 once. Now that thing I liked. Never could afford one, but I would like to have one. That thing was a hoot to shoot.
Old February 3, 2015, 07:31 PM   #36
BoogieMan

I have one I put together for something to do. No folding stock, no laser, no light. I like it for the engineering that went into the original ar design. It's the Lego gun. I like my sks better, I also like all my other milsurps better.
If I ever build another it will have a wood stock.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 3, 2015, 09:48 PM   #37
bamaranger

long time

Taken me a long time to warm up to the AR, and likely still would not have one if bamaboy were not so thrilled with 3gun. WE bought our first and only one, a heavy barrel flat top carbine, this summer, used.

And, the bit about building an AR, and then hanging every conceivable doodad off it till it weighs as much as an M1/M1a, seems off to me as well. Our AR carbine is plain jane, less optic, and heavy barrel, which was simply a matter of how it came to us.

But the thing was the "sound". Ka-chong, ka-chong, every shot seemed like it was fired from a pogo stick! Finally got accustomed to it....but it took a while.
Old February 4, 2015, 08:52 AM   #38
rickyrick

The only reason I have an adjustable stock on mine is the fact that it just comes cheaper like that now days. ... I see no advantage as I'm not jumping in and out of vehicles or wearing armor.....

Will have a fixed stock in the future. Pretty sure some leather will be involved as well
Old February 4, 2015, 09:09 AM   #39
TMD

34 years ago in basic training I fired my first AR or should say M16A1. By the time I retired 20 years later the last thing I waned in my collection was an AR for a rifle and a Beretta M9/92fs for a handgun. Fast forward to today and somehow I've collected over a dozen different AR's in four different calibers and two Beretta 92's and it seems that I cant go to the range without bringing one of them. Go figure.
Old February 4, 2015, 12:11 PM   #40
Picher

I don't own any semi-auto centerfire rifles and though I've shot several customers' guns, have no desire to own one.

Long-range shooting/hunting, at least everything over 400 yards, is not where I want to go any more. Shooting metal silhouettes offhand out to 300 yards is more of a thrill to me.

That's the great thing about shooting. Everyone can do things the way THEY want to do them, whether it's shooting handguns at 10 yards or 50 calibers at over 1,000. Enjoy!
Old February 5, 2015, 12:44 PM   #41
elmbow

T O'Heir, this quote needs to be immortalized, I love it: "Rifles with pistol grips just ain't right." Life is too short not to have a safe full of classic, well balanced, carry right in the field all day rifles, ergo, nothing over ~7 lbs and NO pistol grips. (I'm ducking for cover now).
That said, I spent 30 years toting the black rifles, and appreciate them for what they do well, close quarter battle in primarily urban environments. Someone commented about all the doo dads folks tack on to these things nowadays. If an AR (5.56) weighs more than 8 lbs you have defeated the purpose of the platform. I own ONE (1) an M4 clone, topped with the Leupold Mk4 MR/T and VTAC sling attached, it weighs 7.25 lbs. I keep it and about 10,000 rds stashed away for when the Brownshirts start fast roping onto my roof, (them or the Zombies, I'm not bigoted)
I tried my hand with an Armalite AR10, pre ban, back when Armalite was trying to figure things out. I put over $3000 into the damned thing, never could get it to function reliably, weighed damn near 12 lbs, asked myself the ultimate question: Why The F*** do you own this thing? and promptly traded it away on a sweet oil finished 16 gauge Citori.
AR anything or M1A at 10 lbs? That brethren is a serious no brainer!!! I love my NM M1A, deadly beyond 600 yards with stock sights, reliable, buttstroke ready, but alas, too heavy to have "fun" with. I will reserve that for all my lever guns, pump guns, and scout guns that weigh about the same as a 4" ribeye.
Old February 5, 2015, 07:49 PM   #42
rodfac

I carried a Car 15 in the Birddog as a FAC in Vietnam's lll Corps, 1970. It was accurate enough for the purpose in mind (getting picked up ASAP if I had to set the Cessna down on a dirt track and well before the little [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]s could get at me). I was stocked with Air Force issue ammunition at the time and most of the B-camp Special Forces guys I lived with, combat loaded that ammo when going out to one of the A-camps for a week's duty.

All of which led me to avoid the AR for many years. I qualified in the Air Force with the M1, used it as member of the USAFA hi-power rifle team from 66-68 and had enormous respect for it's long range target accuracy. I still own several of them, but they rarely leave the safe.

By '95, I was ready to get back into the competitive scene and bought a Colt H-BAR with a 7" twist. Loading for it was rediculously simple...Sierra 69's and 80's shot far better than any M1 I'd ever fired. Recoil was non-existent and the match sights I installed were right on the money, repeatable. I had a local smith put in a tube to allow use of a good sling and it was off to the races again.

Esthetically, there's not much to like in an AR...'less you're one of the mall ninja types or have combat fantasies from your arm chair. The damned thing still goes boing with every shot and no amount of grease in the stock will quiet it out. But it's a purpose built rifle...out to 300 yards with issue rounds it's deadly...lots of rounds to build fire supremacy etc. and accuracy with most any carry handle scope to pick 'em off at that range. So I'll give it my grudging respect for what it can do and has done for the past 45 years, but don't expect me to love it.

If you want steel and walnut, I've got a '31 National Match '03 Springfield with less than 500 rounds through it that'll make you cry. With 60 yr old eyes, it gave me a 92 at 600 on practice day...they just don't build 'em thataway no more...the '03 was a battle rifle from a gov't arsenal that Marines used on German machine gunners out at 600-700 yds. They'd not ever seen accurate rifle fire that far...and that was 1918...

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 5, 2015, 10:20 PM   #43
armoredman

Sorry, can't pass this one up...

Quote:
Rifles with pistol grips just ain't right.
I dunno, kinda like this one...

Of course, it IS one of a kind. I do like rifles with pistol grips, like my SA vz-58.

But, like said near the beginning of this thread, it's an individual choice thing. The AR rifles certainly are popular, no doubt of that. I see at least five or six every time I hit the range on the weekend. Now if they'd only TRY to hit something with them...
Old February 6, 2015, 07:34 PM   #44
zachattack2

If you don't like it, don't get one, get guns that you like. You will have them the rest of your life and you want something that you will like and be happy with not regret you getting an AR15
Old February 6, 2015, 07:36 PM   #45
zachattack2

Armoredman, sweet gun pics.

Got to agree with you, I think they are sweet with pistol grips.
Old February 7, 2015, 08:52 PM   #46
snolden

First, I am a 12 gauge/30 caliber kinda guy. That said I do have one AR that I use to entice our kids and kids friends to come shoot. I usually end up getting them into the 7.62x51 battle rifles. So it does have its uses.
Old February 9, 2015, 10:35 PM   #47
Homerboy

Ive owned a few AR's. Sold them both. Also had a Mini. Sold it too. But I miss the Mini. Not so the AR. I have a Garand now and love it. The Mini might not be as accurate, but it hit what I was aiming at. A 20 ounce Coke bottle didn't have a chance at 100 yards. Good enough.

And the sproing sound the AR makes was annoying. Ear right up to the spring inside the stock. Could even feel the sproing.
Old February 9, 2015, 11:23 PM   #48
GrailKnight

I feel the same way about the AK pattern and just can not get into it.

Now the AR on the other hand I have wanted since my military days long ago and finally got around to buying one and could not be happier.

I say to each their own when it comes to firearms. Everyone has different tastes, wants, and needs.
Old February 9, 2015, 11:26 PM   #49
tahunua001

different strokes for different folks. I tried for a long time to like AKs, never warmed up to them, got away from them for a while, now I'm giving them another shot. I am a huge AR15 fan but I will say that I do not agree with stock AR15 ergonomics, aftermarket really makes the AR shine. still, they aren't for everyone.
Old February 9, 2015, 11:51 PM   #50
marine6680

The availability of wood furniture for the AR may make it appeal more to some...

Personally, I prefer my AR to be simple. Standard MOE furniture from magpul, a set of irons, and a red dot... The magpul stuff due to its increased quality and usefulness over the standard AR stuff, and a red dot because of their obvious advantages for short range shooting.

Beyond that, free float rails, fancy target stocks, 45 degree sights and all the rest seem frivolous and unnecessary weight.