The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2010, 09:20 PM   #1
alphaco

Need help on which dies

New to reloading. Based on feedback have decided to go with a forster single stage press & redding dies. Not sure which set to purchase. I will be reloading 308 and 223 so I know I need FL dies. When I look at Cabela's site they list the folowing sets:
  • Redding Series A Competition Seating Die Sets
  • Redding Series A Die Set
  • Redding Series B Die Set
Any idea if the competition seating die comes with the full-length resizing die or do I need to purchase the and A or B set and then the comp seating die if I want the additional benifit it offers? Any idea what the diference between the A & B sets are? Am I even on the right track or should I be looking at their other die sets not listed on Cabela's?

Thanks for the help.
Dan
Old December 22, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2
amamnn

Excellent choices if you are going to be loading for competition grade rifles. Be sure to replace the Redding lock rings with Forster--there is a difference and to get the best out of the press, you'll want them. Or better yet, buy Forster dies. You can also find all of it for a better price at Graf's or Midway than at Cabella--usually. The link below will tell you what you want to know about Redding dies.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...ndgun-die-sets
Old December 22, 2010, 10:31 PM   #3
alphaco

Thanks for the info I did check out the redding site but not easy to navigate for info. I should also mention that I am using mostly mag feed rifles so I probably need a crimp. As for Cabela's it's because I have gift certificates...Other problem is that I can tell what comes with the die sets they have listed - their descriptions of items are terrible:barf: I do already have the forster rings I think I want the Redding National Match 3-Die Set but can't tell if that is what I would be getting
Old December 23, 2010, 07:08 AM   #4
snuffy

The only difference between forster dies and redding is price! They both have micrometer adjusted seaters, in fact, they're based on the same original design.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 23, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
flashhole

I suggest the Forster Benchrest FL sizer die set (includes the benchrest seat die, not the Ultraseat die, same design but the Ultra has the micrometer). And a Lee Collet Neck Die for each cartridge.

Are you ready for civil war?