The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 25, 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
BlackFeather

I have a question... can you help?

I live in oregon... I plan to take a trip to ohio and more importantly california... I will be leaving by plane... how do I bring my shotgun and rifle along with... I am very new at this so I am lost...any help will be much appreciated...
Old June 25, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Look at two places - the TSA website and the website of your airlines for instructions. Print the airline instructions to take with you when you go to the airport. Go a touch earlier.

It's best to get the rules from the source. Basically, you have to have a suitable locking case, get it checked, etc. Check those sites.

No ammo with the gun - that has to be packed separately. Check local laws on having the gun - is it legal there and for you.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:29 PM   #3
ImprobableJoe

Piece of advice: buy the ammo when you land.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion.
We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft. TSA locks are not approved for securing firearms.
You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:59 PM   #5
ImprobableJoe

peetzakilla,

You're technically right, but that is an added level of risk with an overzealous security person that isn't worth the risk. Better to spend a few more bucks, and buy ammo when you land.

Of course, I am the sort of person who ships my bags by UPS rather than carry them on a plane... but that's just me.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

I've not had problems with significant amounts of ammo. But YMMV - you have to stay within the limits.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:39 AM   #7
maestro pistolero

When you tell them you are declaring a firearm, just be direct and matter of fact. Kind of low key. It' s not necessary, but it's reassuring to the agent and nearby passengers, if any.
Old June 26, 2009, 02:44 PM   #8
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero
When you tell them you are declaring a firearm, just be direct and matter of fact. Kind of low key. It' s not necessary, but it's reassuring to the agent and nearby passengers, if any.
Ummmm.... what exactly do you mean by not necessary?
Old June 26, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
brickeyee

Check with the airline also.

Most have weight limits on ammunition.

11 pounds used to be common, but at least one had a 9 pound limit a while ago.
Old June 26, 2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've not had problems with significant amounts of ammo. But YMMV - you have to stay within the limits.
Unfortunately, the ruling bureaucracy has worded the procedure as "unlimited quantity for personal use." which makes the lower on the totem pole, non-common sense using, bureaucrat wanna-be, hoping for that next promotion security officer think that "for personal use" means that they can deem that your specific quantity exceeds the amount that would be "personal use" and make a nice name for themselves with the already promoted non-common sense using bureaucrats above them.

So, what should be, and was intended to be, "no limit" became "Whatever the hell limit the over-zealous pain in the pooper agent who happens to be looking in your bag says the limit is."

Disclaimer: I've done the job, I can say whatever I want about them.
Old June 26, 2009, 03:35 PM   #11
csmsss

Bottom line is that the bag that you pack your firearm and/or ammunition in will have to be under 50 lb. or you will get charged an overweight fee by the airline (last I heard it was $75). The problem with getting ammo at your destination is that you don't necessarily know you'll be able to find it.
Old June 26, 2009, 05:15 PM   #12
maestro pistolero

Quote:
Ummmm.... what exactly do you mean by not necessary?
There's no law that says you have to be nice, but you're an idiot if you aren't. Did you really need clarification?
Old June 26, 2009, 06:00 PM   #13
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero
There's no law that says you have to be nice, but you're an idiot if you aren't. Did you really need clarification?
Yes, I really did need clarification because your statement could have been taken to mean that declaration of the firearm wasn't necessary.
Old June 26, 2009, 06:21 PM   #14
maestro pistolero

Quote:
Yes, I really did need clarification because your statement could have been taken to mean that declaration of the firearm wasn't necessary.
Ok, thanks. I certainly did not mean to suggest that. You MUST declare your firearm(s). You SHOULD be low key, direct, calm and pleasant.
Old June 27, 2009, 05:32 PM   #15
BlackFeather

well thanks alot... I appreciate it...