The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Red_Eagle

Lee safety scales

I just got this thing from Midway's today and I'm having trouble with it. I'm having a real hard time reading the 1/10" mark. I already have an RCBS 505. But for $18, I thought I'd check it out. Is there some trick to reading this thing?
Old January 24, 2008, 05:20 PM   #2
tomh1426

I got one of those as part of a kit but never use it.
I had a hard time reading it and getting it to measure accuratly
I have an old Redding that works just fine but Ive been wanting a nice digital scale lately.
Old January 24, 2008, 05:46 PM   #3
grymster2007

It's a vernier scale. Kind of a pain to read, especially with my eyes, but can be plenty precise.

See link:

Reading a vernier
Old January 24, 2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Sevens

I continue, even now, to be astonished at what a good piece of equipment it is considering what it's made of and how much it costs. Seriously. I wouldn't give mine away or toss it because I trust it as a backup. (I use a digital scale)

Reading the 1/10 is simple once you know how to do it-- As you slide the bar back and forth, you can see three white lines appear through the cracks. The middle white line will be brightest, with the line on either side being not as vibrant white. Where you see the brightest white line is where the scale is reading.

It's a helluva lot more difficult to explain with words than it is to show or to do.

While you can place something in the pan and weigh it, it works better as a device that you set at a given weight, and then adjust how much you place in to the pan to get the desired result.

You slide that bar to a number for single grains... then you slide it slightly a little more left or right for tenth grains. When it's exactly right, you click the button in to place and it will NOT move. Then you add powder to the pan until it levels itself.

When I first went to buy it (1992 I think?) I couldn't believe the price compared to any other scale. When I opened it up, I couldn't believe I was going to get any decent use from something made of plastic and aluminum. But still, today, I use it and it works. It always works exactly the same and keeps it's zero. The only REAL problem that I ever had with the scale is that you cannot weigh bullets with it other than .224 rounds, because it has a 100 grain capacity.

For new reloaders with an absolute shoe string budget, it's one helluva tool.
Old January 24, 2008, 08:35 PM   #5
craigcolorado

Red_Eagle

It is a very easy scale to use..and to be honest...it is very accurate.

Let me help you with this. I chronograph my loads. Using this accurate but inexpensive scale...my fps from round to round is around 8 fps!!! That is much better than factory loaded ammo since ammo factories use a metered method to load ammo. In simple terms...ammo factories use an empty container of approximate powder needed that is filled with powder then it is dumped into the brass shell. In simple terms. Factory loaded rounds do not use scales to load ammo!!! Not that I'm aware of anyhow. Yes..I have chronographed factory rounds to check this fact.

Use the Lee scale....unless you are shooting a Camp Perry type shooting event....you'll be happy with this scale. I look at the prices of other scales at the Sports_ _ _ Ware _ _ _ _ _....not sure if I can say that sports outlet name here..but RCBS, REDDING, HORNADY, God...they've gotta be kidding what they're asking for these!! For $18.00....Use the Lee!!! It gets the job done really well!
Old January 24, 2008, 09:18 PM   #6
mrawesome22

No tricks to reading it I'm aware of. Just read the directions. I don't think I would have bought it if I already owned a 505 however.

I compared my Lee scale against my PACT digital and it was dead on. The digital is much easier to use.

Quote:
I'm having a real hard time reading the 1/10" mark.
My scale measures grains, not inches.
Old January 24, 2008, 09:40 PM   #7
KeithB78

send it back to hard to read, but they are accurate
Old January 24, 2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Red_Eagle

Thanks, Guys

Sevens, I did what you said. I'm working up a load for my 30-06 using AA-3100. I measured out 53.5 grs on my RCBS 505 and when I put it on the Lee it was, I estimate, within 2/10ths of a grain below what the RCBS was reading. I'm loading 1/2 gr below max so I dont think it matters much which scale is right. If I pulled out my RC-130 I'd probably have a 3rd reading.
UPDATE: I played with it a little more and it's reading the same as the 505 now. I didnt need another scale, I was just curious about it, wanted something to play with and it was cheap.

Last edited by Red_Eagle; January 24, 2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old January 25, 2008, 12:10 AM   #9
DaveInGA

More toys are always good.

Regards,

Dave
Old January 25, 2008, 12:17 AM   #10
Sevens

Toys and cheap deals on Midway--Here's one. I have the regular old dial caliper. I love it. Feels and works like a precision instrument. As far as I'm concerned, it's flawless.

Right now, Midway has the electronic digital caliper on sale for thirteen bucks.
I wouldn't enjoy using it as much as the dial caliper. I can't imagine it would feel or look as much like a precision instrument. And as I said, there's nothing wrong with my good old dial caliper.

But for $13, I almost feel like I oughta buy one!
(but I won't, too much other stuff I'd rather spend the money on)

Maybe someone else will go pick one up because of my note!
Old January 25, 2008, 12:41 AM   #11
TexasSeaRay

The Lee Safety Scale was the first scale I ever bought and used when I began my reloading journey. Didn't take too long to figure it out and when I did, my only "wish" about the scale was that it had a brass pan instead of aluminum.

A couple of years later, I bought a RCBS 502 that is still my primary scale. Got a digital scale that I rarely use anymore for handgun loads.

When I'm working up a new target load, I'll use the Lee Safety Scale as a backup for my RCBS and it is extremely accurate.

I'm with the others--you never would've convinced me that this thing was, and is, as accurate as it is.

People can wail against Lee all they want, but the fact is, Lee has probably had more innovative reloading devices and tools than any of the other big brands combined--and what's more, done it at prices that open the door for everyone.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old January 25, 2008, 02:10 AM   #12
Gbro

Check under the base, It has a plastic spring strip for the approach to weight device.
The one i had, the spring was curled the wrong way and it was real hard to use for charging cases. No biggie if you only use it to test occasional loads.
Anyway i sent it back and the replacement scale came back with the same problem. It went back and i used the funds for a set of dies.
Old January 26, 2008, 07:00 PM   #13
Jamesmb

Quote:
But for $13, I almost feel like I oughta buy one!
A few weeks ago I bought those digital calipers for $32.99! Wish I would have waited!

Think they still have the digital scale for $29.99 till the end of the month.