The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2008, 11:31 PM   #1
Big Caliber

Hornady Die Bushings

Does anybody out there in Reloadingland have any experience with these bushings? You just replace the nut on the press (RCBS in this case) with the Horn. adapter. Your dies are then set up once in the twist-lock bushing. So now, you can change calibers with a twist o' the wrist w/o having to fiddle with screwing the dies up and down to get proper seating/crimping. How come no one else has come up w/ this idea?
Old January 24, 2008, 02:26 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The short answer is the same reason the revolutionary army didn't think to invent metallic cartridges or gattling guns. Someone has to be first with an idea. In this case, however, others may have had similar ideas and dropped them as unsuitable because of its lack of universal compatibility.

Standard reloading dies have 7/8-14 threads. Most reloading presses are bored and tapped for this die size. Even Hornady's dies are mostly that size thread, so the bushing, to go over it, has to be bigger. The result is the adapter bushing has to go into a press with a hole threaded for the larger 1 1/4-12 thread dies, like 50 BMG dies. In other words, the system won't fit most presses. That lack of universal press compatibility has limited the applicability of that system.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 24, 2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Adventurer 2

That is a one time set-up for that specific load. The seating die could change for bullet weights/types. Drop the bushing in 1/4 turn and it is locked - every die has to have it's own bushing. With the bushing on the die it no longer fits in the original die case. A regular die can be locked and the difference is just screwing it down (it doesn't have to be adjusted everytime if you are reloading the same bullet).
Old January 24, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4
DaveInGA

"Does anybody out there in Reloadingland have any experience with these bushings?"

I have 7 years experience using these. They're wonderful. I use them on the Hornady LnL, I used them on my RCBS Rock Chucker and I use them on my Lee Classic Cast single stage I replaced the Rock Chucker with.

"You just replace the nut on the press (RCBS in this case) with the Horn. adapter."

Yes, you replace the reduce on the Rock Chucker with the Hornady conversion kit adapter and your Rock Chucker is ready to accept the LnL bushings.

"Your dies are then set up once in the twist-lock bushing."

You install your die in the bushing, then adjust the die per normal once time and you'll not have to adjust it again. The only time you might have to change the die setup is in the case of a seating die, where you've changed the type of bullet you use, say from a FMJ to a lead bullet. Since you generally tend to settle down to a single bullet type, adjustments related to bullet changing don't happen all that often.

"So now, you can change calibers with a twist o' the wrist w/o having to fiddle with screwing the dies up and down to get proper seating/crimping."

You've pretty much got it.

"How come no one else has come up w/ this idea?"

Innovation in the reloading industry can be slow and reloaders can be slow about accepting something new, as they're generally conservative. That said, they have come out with similar ideas.

Lee has recently come out with a similar system for their aluminum frame press. Not sure if it can be adapted to their cast press, RCBS Rock Chucker or not. I know the Hornady conversion kit will fit any press that has 1 1/4-12 threads.

Regards,

Dave
Old January 24, 2008, 11:30 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

The following presses work with the Hornady LNL adapter: Hornady LNL & LNL AP, Redding Big Boss, Big Boss II & UltraMag, RCBS Rockchucker, Lee Classic Cast. Maybe not "most presses", but a pretty big chunk of the heavy duty single stage presses accept them.

Other options for quick die changes (in single stage presses) include Lee (new) Challenger and Forster Co-Ax. The new Lee press uses their own threaded insert/adapter that is not compatible with any other presses that I know of. The Forster Co-Ax uses either Forster or Hornady lock rings on standard dies, and the dies snap in and out of the press.

The Hornady die boxes will hold standard dies with the bushings installed, and their boxes are sold separately (they hold 4 dies each plus shell holder and extra seating plugs).

Andy
Old January 25, 2008, 04:02 PM   #6
flashhole

I had a bad experience with the set up. I have two Redding Ultramag presses. I bought one of the adapters and several bushings. They worked well enough, then I bought another adapter for my second press, it wouldn't screw into the press. I contacted Hornady and they told me I had a cheap press. The original adapter fit both presses just fine. I bought yet a third adapter and it wouldn't fit either. I went to a plumbing supply house and had them gage the threads, they were out of tolerance for what they were and they could not screw standard fittings onto the threads. I contacted Hornady again and sent them back with a letter explaining what I had done and what I had found. They sent them back to me in the same sealed pack I sent them in with a note saying there was no problem with their adapters and they weren't going to do anything about it. They wouldn't even open the pack and check them out to see if my claim was valid. I was a little ticked when they told me their POS potmetal adapter was of higher quality than my Ultramag presses. No more Hornady purchases for me. I have some of their stuff and still use it but I would never recommend anyone buy Hornady equipment.

I should add - I sold the lot on eBay and included the two adapters that didn't fit for free. I told the buyer that I was including them in the shipment and asked him to tell me if they fit his press. He had the same problem I did. They wouldn't screw into his press either.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 25, 2008, 09:19 PM   #7
Big Caliber

Thanks for all the input. Lotsa valid points. I like the Hornady handgun bullets, but I've always shy'd away from buying any of their equipment for no real reason at all. That was the first negative customer service report of any firearms entity I've ever come across. Think I'll just get more powder instead.