The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 12, 2002, 03:22 PM   #1
CyberGOP

CVA Bobcat rifle ?

How does it shoot with conical bullets ? Is it reliable ? Is it worth buying it's only $64 .
Old October 21, 2002, 12:43 AM   #2
CyberGOP

Has anyone had any experience with this rifle ?
Old October 21, 2002, 09:09 PM   #3
dragon1965

Hi CyberGOP,
I'll tell you right up front that I am a newbie to the blackpowder thing and I have never fired a CVA Bobcat. I have held several of them in gun shops and I gotta say I wasn't real impressed. The fit and finish really seemed to lack a lot. In my opinion (and we both know what opinions are like...lol)...if you bought this gun you would very soon be looking to dump it and get a little better quality. You would be hooked on blackpowder though it is really fun to shoot these smokers !!!
Recently my son got started in blackpowder(BP) and got me interested...I went out and found a very nice TC New Englander in a gun shop for $115 and I am sooo impressed. I am hooked !!
To make a long story short I think you would be happier finding a GOOD used gun that you will use longer than a basic entry level rifle.

Dragon
Old October 24, 2002, 08:20 PM   #4
CyberGOP

Thanks for the advice dragon1965 , it's appreciated.
Old October 27, 2002, 01:51 AM   #5
GrayBear

THE BOBCAT .50

My wife bought me one, a couple years ago when a friend wanted me to shoot BP with him. I'd say go for it. You'll get hooked on BP shooting. You'll soon want and will get a fancier rifle. It may or may not outshoot the Bobcat, so what? It will be pretty, brass patchbox and all!

And, you'll still have a knock-about rifle, keeping teeth-marks off the fancy piece. You'll have a loaner and a teaching tool. Take someone to the range or for a hunt, they've got their own stout little rifle.

Mine shoots better than I can hold it. I've even outshot some of the much fancier guns. Ran into some advice on the web that has stood the test of several BP shoots. Try a light load on the range of 25 gr of FFg powder, a .495 ball and a .020 patch. Switch to 90 gr for a hunting load. works well for me, but your milage may vary.

IMHO, stick to roundballs in the Bobcat. I feel the twist and barrel length are against you if you use conicals.

Thanks,

GrayBear
Old October 27, 2002, 02:51 AM   #6
CyberGOP

Thanks for the advice , GrayBear , I appreciate it , don't know if I'm going to buy the gun or not yet .
Old October 29, 2002, 12:59 PM   #7
Tropical Z

I wanna get one too,just to have it.If its a great teaching tool for less than $70.00 how can you go wrong?
Old October 29, 2002, 01:25 PM   #8
BJordan71

I'm not sure which model is a Bobcat but I have a CVA Grey Wolf in .54 caliber that's a real hoot to play with. I got it early this year at a local gun show for $79. It's got the black synthetic stock. I've only shot round patched balls through it but it doesn't seem to care whether I'm packing 50 grains of Goex FF or 120 grains of Pyrodex the accuracy seems to be the same. I just aim a little lower the more powder. I really like it.

Stay safe.
TFL#12525