The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 24, 2013, 11:48 PM   #1
JMILLER

M&P 9C

Who has experience or opinions
on the m&p 9c as ccw. Would
welcome suggestions on holsters
and carry options. Appreciate any
and all help.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:18 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

new M&P holsters, rounds, custom work...

I owned a S&W Military and Police full size 9x19mm(9mm Luger) in 2011/2012. They are robust well engineered weapons.
I'd suggest these sources for a M&P compact. For sights see Trijicon HD; www.trijicon.com or the 3 dot night sights/operator style from www.bowietacticalconcepts.com . David Bowie(not the rock star ) is a highly rated M&P pistol smith and a sworn LE/SWAT commander. He does great work on M&P series pistols.
For holsters/belts/gear; www.miltsparks.com www.donhume.com www.blackhawk.com www.blade-tech.com www.safariland.com www.usgalco.com www.bianchi-intl.com www.tedblockerholsters.com www.highnoonholsters.com www.kirkpatrickleather.com www.thebeltman.net www.uscav.com www.policehq.com www.midwayusa.com www.grafs.com www.natchezss.com www.5.11tactical.com www.bullet50.com www.duluthtrading.com . Greg Kramer, Mernickle, Alessi, Ken Null & Del Fatti are also well known for gun leather. NOTE: wait times or custom leather may take months to get. Orders may be slow, contact the shop before you spend any $$$.
For cleaning/gun care; www.brownells.com www.mpro7.com LPX, www.gunzilla.us www.weaponshield.com . Do not use a lot of CLP on your firearms. It can clog it up or damage the firing pin, ammunition primers, etc. Read the S&W owners manual.
For ammunition, good carry-defense loads include; the Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP, the Golden Saber bonded +P JHP 124gr, the Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P round, the DPX or PowRball from Corbon, the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP.
I like 124gr 9x19mm because you can train with milspec FMJ 124gr 9mm then get factory made 124gr JHPs for carry/protection.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Water-Man

I prefer the AmeriGlo HACK sights SW-433B
Old February 25, 2013, 08:42 AM   #4

If you can find them, get some mec-gar +2 mag extensions. Gives you 14 rounds in a very small space
Old February 25, 2013, 09:06 AM   #5
loganchieftain

I chose one because I shot a friends 9c and loved the way it felt in my hand and found it easy to shoot well for its smaller size. I had the apex trigger kit put in though I've heard the stock triggers now are better than the earlier models. They are reliable, high quality guns. Hard to recommend a holster, it's a personal preference thing. Be sure to get a good belt, without a heavyweight belt even a top quality holster won't be comfortable.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:15 AM   #6
vba

I have a m&p9c and really like it. I do carry it at times and my holster is a Galco concealable OWB holster meant for my Sig P228. The gun fits well in this holster, but just a smudge loose. Haven't gotten around to ordering a proper holster yet.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:41 PM   #7
sholling

I have Trijicon sights on all three of my MPs. Ammo is a bit harder right now because nobody has 9mm but I choose my ammo based on DocGKR's tried and truly effective ammo list. It's a list of ammo that has been tested and meets the standards for federal law enforcement use.

For IWB holsters you may may want to look at a Custom Carry Concepts Quick Cover or TAC-1. CCC uses fairy thin Kydex that allows for a bit more comfort than most and has a lower ride than Comp-Tac which is another great brand of holsters. For a concealable OWB you might want to look at a Black Dog Concealment. For something a bit more upscale take a look at TT-Gunleather.

Old February 25, 2013, 01:20 PM   #8
"JJ"

I love my M&P9c!
I use it in USPSA competitions and it has not failed me once!
I have lost count on rounds! At one point I was doing USPSA and Steel challenge with it each month. That was arond 350 - 400 rounds a month in competitions alone.

I carry it in a IWB. I either use a Desantis Intruder or a Blackhawk soft IWB with single belt clip. It just depends on dress.
I wear it at about the 4 o'clock position. This is just something personal but The seat belt really bothered me in the vhicle with the weapon at 3 o'clock.
Plus it seemed like it was a tumor on my side there as well! It seemed like it stuck out a mile! It probably was not as noticeable but it would always bother me.
At the 4 o'clock position I can simply lean forward a bit and draw the weapon while driving and can draw it fairly quickly from normal concealment.
The class I compete in at the USPSA competitions require all weapons and extra mags to be behind the hip bones so this is where I wear it in competitions as well.

I looked at getting the capacity extending base plates but read some bad reviews. There were some that used the original mag spring and had some problems feeding the last rounds. There are also some that come with a new spring that of course are a bit more expensive that I am sure work fine. But now we are at around $25 bucks and a full size mag is around $32. If I do anything I will probably just carry the weapon with 12+1 and carry a full size back up mag with a X-Grip mag adapter ($12).
At this point I am at $44 instead of the $25 for the extended magazine and about the same capacity, but I have not madified any factory parts. It may be a personal thing but I feel a bit better about relying on a self defense weapon that is built to factory standards and very little influence by me!
But to be honest, I probably wont do anything!
Most of the time I carry one extra mag, sometimes two depending on the dress! I always have at least 25 rounds of 124 gr +P hollow points!
If that doesn't work another 18 wouldn't either!!

This is one of if not my favorite weapons!
Good luck with your decision!
Old February 25, 2013, 04:23 PM   #9
ShootingNut

Love my M&P's, carry a M&P .40c in a IWB Kholster, which for me is very comfortable. Similar to the Crossbreed IWB but less money.
http://www.kholster.com/proddetail.php?prod=CR
Old February 25, 2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Scarletma

MP 9C

I have in 9mm the MP9C, the 9pro and the Julie Galowski for my daughter (it is a 5")
The compact 9c was the first one I purchased and put night sights and Crimson Trace grips. Then put in an Apex trigger kit and do not carry it anymore because the trigger is too light It is now used as a home defense go to. You can use many magazines and just get the extension add on for around 12 bucks which takes up the missing grip when you use an extended magazine. For me it is easier to grip with an extended magazine but would be to large to carry.
It is a great gun but if you fire it then the MP 9 Pro you will only shoot the pro. ALL of my family members shoot better groups with the pro. The Julie 5" model is one step down on the pro in trigger feel.
Put the Crimson Trace grips on it and you will love it.
Old February 25, 2013, 06:36 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Julie 5"...

Quick ?,
Was that the Julie Pro Series M&P that has pink rubber inserts for Breast Cancer awareness?

Clyde
Old February 25, 2013, 06:44 PM   #12
L2R

9c is my fa vorite carry gun

also used to get my best score in IDPA last year.

cleveland IWB (like a supertuck) packs it away the best but
my sticky holster gets the most use. It is fact to pack and works as advertised.

good luck, no doubt lots of good choices out there.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:54 PM   #13
sholling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletma
I have in 9mm the MP9C, the 9pro and the Julie Galowski for my daughter (it is a 5")

The compact 9c was the first one I purchased and put night sights and Crimson Trace grips. Then put in an Apex trigger kit and do not carry it anymore because the trigger is too light It is now used as a home defense go to. You can use many magazines and just get the extension add on for around 12 bucks which takes up the missing grip when you use an extended magazine. For me it is easier to grip with an extended magazine but would be to large to carry.
It is a great gun but if you fire it then the MP 9 Pro you will only shoot the pro. ALL of my family members shoot better groups with the pro. The Julie 5" model is one step down on the pro in trigger feel.
Put the Crimson Trace grips on it and you will love it.
Good call on the Crimson Trace grip I have them on two of my three M&Ps and on two of four 1911s. I'm just curious which Apex kit was too light, the carry/duty kit or the competition kit? I bought my M&Ps years ago (pre Apex) and had a gunsmith bring two of mine down to a smooth 4-1/2bs That's about perfect for me and the same as my self defense 1911s. I'm curious because I've been thinking about throwing an Apex duty/carry kit in my 40c.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:04 PM   #14
JMILLER

GOOD INFO

I appreciate all the feedback.
I've already run a few rounds
through it and it is a good
shooting gun. After i got it,it
seemed a little too big to conceal.
It will just take some getting used
to. And the right holster.
Once again thanks for all the
information.
Old February 27, 2013, 03:20 PM   #15
breakingcontact

Re: M&P 9C

This has been an excellent thread. Good question. Good suggestions and response after the buy. Well done all.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:30 PM   #16
redneck

I'm late to the party but I carry an M&P 9C quite a bit. I make my own holsters but I can give you some tips based on my experience.

1. For IWB I would opt for a holster with wider spaced clips/loops like a crossbreed supertuck or one of that style. I have a basic single clip holster I made and found that it had a tendency to make the waistline of my jeans sag between belt loops and it wouldn't always sit how I wanted it (never an issue with smaller guns, but the 9C seems to be right on the line for me). I made a crossbreed style holster and it has been much better, weight is spread out more and it stays in place great.

2. For OWB I have been using a holster similar to a desantis mini slide. I actually bought the desantis and was not happy with how it fit my belt or how it was molded (had a tendency to collapse making it very hard to draw and reholster, it was a nice holster but bad combination with my belt I think). I really like this style holster though and made my own with minor changes. I find they conceal really well in the 4:30-5:00 position, and don't get in the way when I'm riding my horses or getting in and out of my truck.

Edit: I added meprolight night sights to mine. Was extremely happy with them (they're very bright) until the front sight died on me. Haven't had a chance to try the warranty out. I'd give them another shot at this point though.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:43 AM   #17
1hogfan83

I have to two M&Pc 9mm. The first one is great, real tack driver. The second one was a pain to say the least. I say WAS because I havent had the time nor ammo to go see if they fixed it. The factory sent it back saying they fixed the barrel and gave it a new extractor. I dont have any reason to believe it was just a fluke. I carry my other one in an old faithful holster. The extra mag sits in a remorra holster carrier. One thing about the second, the trigger feels diffrent, no gritt. They told me that they would take real good care of me. I never heard anything bad about the companies CS.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old March 1, 2013, 08:37 PM   #18
Hitthespot

I owned a M&P 40 compact. I was not happy with the weapon almost from the day I purchased it. First of all It didn't have the Magazine cut off which I prefer. They come either way and I didn't realize it until after I purchased it and got it home. Second of all I purchased mine with the Ambidextrious manual safety. The safety stuck out way too far and was FAR too easy to disengage. No where near as nice as my SR9c. I found that many times when I removed the gun from my IWB holster the safety was in the fire ready position. I sold it and bought the SR40c.

Now having said the above, I thought it was well made and would absolutey trust it to go bang when I needed it too. I also thought it was a great looking gun. I would only recommend buying one without the manual safety.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:59 AM   #19
Scarletma

for Clyde

Quick ?,
Was that the Julie Pro Series M&P that has pink rubber inserts for Breast Cancer awareness?

Clyde

Yes it is
Old March 2, 2013, 12:04 PM   #20
Scarletma

For Scholling

Good call on the Crimson Trace grip I have them on two of my three M&Ps and on two of four 1911s. I'm just curious which Apex kit was too light, the carry/duty kit or the competition kit? I bought my M&Ps years ago (pre Apex) and had a gunsmith bring two of mine down to a smooth 4-1/2bs That's about perfect for me and the same as my self defense 1911s. I'm curious because I've been thinking about throwing an Apex duty/carry kit in my 40c.

It is the Carry duty, _Smooth as a hot knife in Styrofoam which could be a bad thing with too much adrenalin
I learned to concentrate and get the feel in my finger of where the release is but all my family members shoot good with it but do double taps frequently.
Once you put the Crimson grips on there is no turning back, it is bright day or night and there is no doubt you have been marked (the only draw back I see with it is you can watch the movement of that bright little spot and see your flaws! Breathe in breathe out and try and hold steady! The further the distance the more you go OMG!