The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 2, 2005, 01:55 AM   #1
308 BOSS

The Load Down Of The Savage 10fple2a

I was thinking about purchasing this rifle.I've owned a sAVAGE 110(deer hunting)rifle,but now i want a more tactical type of rifle.My question is...does this rifle have aluminum bedding blocks or just dual pillard and is the barrel and action black oxidized or just matte blue?I'm going to top it off with a Super Sniper 10x42M scope does this seem like a good combo?Thanks
Old October 2, 2005, 02:37 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

The term 'tactical' is a marketing term designed to convince guys like yourself that your rifle needs replacing. Will a Super Sniper 10x42M make your 110 shoot any better? Not that I'd ever think about discouraging a guy that just wants to buy a new rifle, but a 10fple2a is just a current target version of a 110 with a different stock and trigger. It's a 10FP-LE1 with a different stock. Pillars etc don't come with factory rifles. Mind you, it is a Savage and they tend to be very accurate out of the box. Matte blued action.
Old October 2, 2005, 02:47 AM   #3
cntryboy1289

whoops

Welcome to the forum.

Some factory rifles do come with pillars installed, other than that I agree with what was said for the most part. If you want to buy a new rifle, go ahead if you want to. You could just dress up your existing rifle with a new stock and keep the scope you have on it. I get tickled at the fact that so many folks want a so-called tatical rifle like the rifle they have already isn't designed to kill at long range. Here's a link to a stock that is declared to be a sniper stock by Choate:

http://www.choatestocks.com/UltimateSniper.html

I like it and wouldn't mind using it. I just won't be out there sniping anything other than a deer or a target with it myself. I mean you no disrespect by this or anything else I said, it may actually have nothing to do with you, but it gets kind of funny at times when folks want the black gun for whatever reason it is they want it. Put the name "Tactical" on it and it sells like hotcakes.
Old October 2, 2005, 01:03 PM   #4
308 BOSS

Regards To My Question

For the guys who responded to my question thanks for the insight,but i have to make a couple of things clear regarding my question in general.I'm not the kind of person who sees something "shiny"and fall for it.Back when i did have my Savage 110 i was planning on getting the Choate stock,but having to get a heavy barrel etc;why not just get the total package?The article i do have on it from the Special Weapons (fall 2003)stated it had a integral bedding block and black oxide finish i just didn't know if this was a prototype or if it came like this.Just wanted to know if anybody had one if so give me some info.on it.
Old October 3, 2005, 01:05 AM   #5
cntryboy1289

Understand

I am not sure about the finish on the gun, but you could go the Savage sight and look it up. Here's a link to them:

http://www.savagearms.com/

I don't know your plans about whether or not you are going to keep your rifle you have now, but if you decide to sell it, email me or pm me and let me know one way or the other. I wouldn't mind taking it off your hands if you decide to sell it. A new barrel and stock might be cheaper than the new rifle, but that is your decision to make on it. Good luck with it.
Old October 3, 2005, 01:23 AM   #6
308LAW

try this website, they can answer most of your savage questions.http://www.savageshooters.net/forum/
you might also think about building your own if you are handy with tools. there is plenty of information on that site to help if you decide that route. I am currently putting together a 308 "tactical" rifle for target use that will be based on the savage/stevens action.
Old October 3, 2005, 01:28 AM   #7
308LAW

oh and the SS scopes are a pretty good scope for the money, I have used one on an ar-15 and was impressed for $300.
Old October 3, 2005, 08:55 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

I have a Savage 10FP from before the new trigger came out. I took it through the PR1 class at Gunsite, and then went on to shoot it in the Long Range Firing School at Camp Perry, but with the Choate stock.

The stock that came on this rifle is made from a thermoplastic. It does have molded-in pillars because the thermoplastic is too soft to hold up to stock screw pressure without reinforcement. Unfortunately, the forestock is too flimsy for a bipod. Since the PR1 class required a bipod, I took a Harris with me, but soon found the gun was unable to group much better than 2 m.o.a. off of it. After three days, bluing rub marks were apparent on the barrel just above the tip of the stock. When the bipod was in use, the weight of the gun was bending the flimsy forestock enough to touch the barrel. This caused the inconsistent groups.

Because thermoplastic is dense, the stock is internally skeletonized with hollows. I considered trying to whittle it out under the front of the barrel, but concluded the side-to-side sway would still be excessive. I thought about adding stiffeners. I usually enjoy trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I spotted the Choate stocks in the Brownells catalog and just had to try one. I got the Ultimate Sniper version, took it to the LRFS at Perry.

Accuracy of the rifle in the Choate stock was superb, and let me stay in the 10 ring most of the time. Most satisfying was that my errors landed where I called them. At short range I got several 1/2 m.o.a. groups off bags and stayed around 3/4 m.o.a. off the bipod. However, three ergonomic problems with the Choate stock showed up at the school:

First, set up for long range shooting, I was using angled scope ring bases. These set the eyepiece of the scope up high enough that none of the cheek pieces that come with the Choate had enough height. I had to improvise by sticking on a big section of polyethylene foam pipe insulation.

Second, the forestock of the Ultimate Sniper stock is too square at the back. Even using a shooting glove, after a day of prone position with my left hand leaning forward against this square, it was sore.

Third, though it was of no consequence at the LRFS, the Choate is very heavy. It may be quite suitable for S.W.A.T. or other urban sniping duty, but when I imagine doing some of the rugged terrain crawling and moving we'd done at Gunsite with it, I believe I would have found it a bit cumbersome and fatiguing.

The following year I returned to the LRFS. This time I had acquired the Choate varmint style stock. Also, heavy and lacking in cheek piece height, but the front rail on the forestock let me use a standard aluminum shooters hand rest. This proved much more satisfactory for slung-up prone. Accuracy was the same.

That's all I have to convey on the subject. Good luck with the new rifle!

Nick