The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 07:26 AM   #26
jaguarxk120

The people that don't like the 16 gauge guns, many of whom have never shot a proper 16 gauge shotgun.

The Winchester Model 12 and the Ithaca Model 37 have frames scaled to the gauge. The Remington 870 16 gauge is built on a 12 gauge frame.

Some of the imported guns, doubles/O/U's are built on a scaled frame and are a joy to shoot and hunt with.
Old April 11, 2013, 03:47 PM   #27
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I have a model 37 that almost looks like it just came out of the box. I'm guessing it had very little use, was cleaned properly and spent most of the 40 years before I bought it in somebody's closet or gun cabinet. Plain stock in cherry condition and you could barely tell that it had miniscule spots in the bore. After a couple of boxes of #6 shot and a good scrubbing with a new bore brush it is spotless.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 12, 2013, 08:32 AM   #28
drcook

Quote:
I have a model 37 that almost looks like it just came out of the box. I'm guessing it had very little use, was cleaned properly and spent most of the 40 years before I bought it in somebody's closet or gun cabinet. Plain stock in cherry condition and you could barely tell that it had miniscule spots in the bore. After a couple of boxes of #6 shot and a good scrubbing with a new bore brush it is spotless.
And is it for sale ? To me ? For $49.95, 90 days same as cash ?

Sounds like a nice gun, I am assuming that it is a 16ga ? Regardless, as an Ithaca owner, why don't you join

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php there is a section devoted to Ithacas, in fact June 26th of this year there is an open house at the Ithaca plant here in Ohio. There are details on a sticky in the Ithaca forum

and

http://www.ithacaowners.com/index.ph...0d9022a3554f80

and if a 16ga

http://www.16ga.com/forum/

dc
Old April 12, 2013, 01:05 PM   #29
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
And is it for sale ? To me ? For $49.95, 90 days same as cash ?

Sounds like a nice gun, I am assuming that it is a 16ga ? Regardless, as an Ithaca owner, why don't you join
Winchester model 37 16 gauge and add another $200 to your $49 number. I have paid $50 for older single shot shotguns but you are a few years late for this one. They stopped making them in 1963. Before the crazy prices started this would have been a 150 dollar gun but it's cherry condition and competition for it drove prices up. At least ammo for it is still somewhat reasonable.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 12, 2013, 01:26 PM   #30
drcook

Quote:
Winchester model 37 16 gauge
Ah, sorry I assumed Ithaca Model 37, 2 different camps, same old school craftsmanship and handling qualities. The prior post to yours mentioned Ithaca Model 37 and I thought you were saying you had one also.

Both nice guns and yes you are still fortunate, even if it is not an Ithaca

I am not really interested in buying it, you know.

Still, why not join the take part in the 16ga forums and shotgunworld has a 16ga section also.

Walmart stocks 16's. Usually Federals or Remingtons. I have not had any issues finding shells.

Buy the way there is a mid-50's, new in box Ithaca 37 16ga out on Gunsamerica.
Old April 12, 2013, 04:54 PM   #31
jaguarxk120

For those of you shooters where price is no object, in the latest issue of Shooting Sportsman they have a writeup on a new Fausti O/U. It's called the Venetian, the largest gauge is 16 and the frame's are scaled to gauge. Nicely engraved.