The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 13, 2012, 08:41 PM   #1
hangglider

CCW and Alchohol

Since getting my CCW--whenever my friends ask me out for an evening of bar hopping, I routinely leave the firearm behind. Even if I do drink without carrying, I now restrict myself to 2 beers at most--I don't want to get nailed for DUI.

The irony of it is that running around the sometimes seamy parts of town means the chances of a bad event are probably somewhat elevated. But I believe the mere possession of a loaded weapon with alcohol present or imbibed of any volume is a crime itself--permit or not (may vary from state to state).

I know that one solution is to have a "designated CCW non-drinker" in your group--but that's not always possible in my situation. How do others deal with this situation? (I'm not lurking or trolling to get someone in trouble).
Old January 13, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2
cheyenne'sfinest

i just leave mine in the truck, but i can't "bar hop". i'm 18... been in the situation though. regardless of age or where i'm at mine is always at least in the truck
Old January 13, 2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Don H

It's legal to drink and carry in Utah unless one is impaired (the impairment standard is the same as that for driving a vehicle). If I choose to have a glass of wine with dinner, I feel just as safe and responsible to carry as I do to drive home...and it would be just as legal.
Old January 13, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Crankgrinder

i dont know your states disposition but i woulnt count on it that the law anywhere wouldnt stretch the word "impairment" in Texas it has become .08 which pretty much means any alcohol at all or anything they want it to. i ve been in a few ordeals in some seedy bars here where i live and id have to say im far more afraid of the cops and prosecutors than i am of the criminals and id have to take my chances there instead.
Old January 13, 2012, 11:51 PM   #5
motorhead0922

Whether you drink or not, in many states it's illegal to carry into a bar (defined as an establishment where >51% of income comes from alcohol).

Of course, we have no way of knowing if that applies since you don't have your state listed in your profile.
Old January 14, 2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Justice06RR

I'm in the same situation as the OP. Leave the EDC in the car (glove compartment or locked case) when going out to the bars or your typical watering holes. Its mostly illegal to carry in a bar/club anyway.

The only event you could carry and drink would be a house party, and even then I would be very careful depending on the people there and how much alchohol is consumed.
Old January 14, 2012, 12:35 AM   #7
kinggabby

The only alcohol drinking I do will be at home.
Old January 14, 2012, 12:38 AM   #8
Willie Lowman

Danger Will Robinson!

If you get into a situation where you must put holes in some jerks lungs the last thing you want is booze in your system.

There is a saying about how every bullet must have a lawyer attached to it. If you have been drinking (and therefore you judgement could be in question) you had best not be shooting unless it is a truly dire situation (and you have sober witnesses)
Old January 14, 2012, 12:50 AM   #9
catnphx

If I know I'll take even one sip of alcohol, my guns stays at home. Try explaining that to a jury ... drinking and guns don't mix; it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old January 14, 2012, 02:16 AM   #10
Sport45

I pretty much outgrew drinking once I got married and started a family. I'll have a beer every now and then, but don't carry when I do.
Old January 14, 2012, 02:32 AM   #11
TheNocturnus

Do what I did, give it up. What's more important to you?
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 14, 2012, 03:25 AM   #12
hangglider

Yup--weapons and alcohol do not mix--though in TN it is in fact legal to carry in a bar (but not drink at the same time). 9 people got shot at a nightclub on Christmas day here.
Old January 14, 2012, 03:57 AM   #13
cloud8a

If you want to go out drinking with your buddies but you want your gun for protection so your night of drinking is not ruined by a bad guy, you take your chances with fate and law. CCL laws are not designed around your desire to party. You are expected as a CCL holder to be level headed and responsible and NOT under the INFLUENCE. It is just like any other license, forklift, car, CDL, go down the list. Common sense will tell you it's a trade off. I believe that is a good thing.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:13 AM   #14
GM2

Quote:
Do what I did, give it up. What's more important to you?
Nocturnus31 is giving sage advise indeed.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:31 AM   #15
FrederickDav

It's actually pretty easy to figure out. Should I drink or protect me and loved ones? I'll go for the protection.
Old January 14, 2012, 07:41 AM   #16
Bailey Boat

First off I only drink at home on my property, and second, why do people go to "seedy" bars in the first place??? Can ya'll not find reputable establishments to do your drinking??? Even during my bar hopping days there were places I wouldn't go because of the clientele or the looks of the place, use some better judgement!!!
Old January 14, 2012, 09:15 AM   #17
hangglider

Here in the south bar hopping/dinner restaurants is a very social thing that all segments of the city population do. Keep in mind I already said my firearm stays home if I know I'm going to have a drink--and even if I don't drink it still stays home if others with me might be drinking. Although the law here allows it--I personally consider the mix too volatile for me to effectively and knowingly deal with. And what drinking I do has dropped to near zero since getting CCW--but I still get invited to parties and such, and as a single guy the opportunities to mix with women in a non-drinking environment--well, you get the idea.
Old January 14, 2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Vermonter

Legal or smart

Like anything else you have to draw your own line. What is legal may not be smart and what is smart may not be legal. In VT i can take a gun more places than most of you can bars included.

If im headed out to get blitzed (has only happened once in the last 4 years) no gun is coming along. If im stopping with a buddy for a beer after work it stays in the holster. My point here is mindset. You should have your own code of common sense and stick to that.

Thanks, Vermonter
Old January 14, 2012, 11:54 AM   #19
Win62a

Alcohol impairs the hell out of your situational awareness.
Old January 14, 2012, 12:12 PM   #20
McMoore

WOW, after reading each post I have come to the following conclusions.

They reflect honor, respect, and loyalty. I only wish the “general” public could read and understand these posts. From what I see in the paper, there appears to be fear or loathing of those who carry. We are viewed as “gun slinging loonies with small brains looking for a fight”. What I see are law abiding citizens, respecting others to protect their families and friends.

I am proud to be a member of this group and not the “general” pubic.
Old January 14, 2012, 12:48 PM   #21
KLRANGL

Virginia fits into a nice little loophole I suppose if you want to call it that. You can carry concealed into a "bar" (we don't technically have bars in this state) and not drink. We also cannot carry a firearm in public and be "intoxicated." That law cites three other laws: drunk in public, DUI, and I believe felony maiming. This means that if you get busted for one of those three laws, you will have a "possession of firearm while intoxicated" tacked on top if you're carrying.

Solution: Leave firearm in car while at the bar, and don't drive drunk. Pretty simple. You could also carry unconcealed and drink, but expect to be asked to leave in most places.

Here's another thing to consider: You can get a DUI without being over the legal limit. If you act like you're driving drunk and the officer can articulate that sufficiently in court, and say he smells alcohol on you when he pulls you over, you have a decent chance of getting a DUI without the breathalyzer even coming out.
Old January 14, 2012, 01:07 PM   #22
TXGunNut

If I'm having dinner out with friends & family I'll carry but may (or may not) have one drink. I did the LE thing too long to be able to enjoy myself in bars. I don't go there, wouldn't go armed if I did. It's illegal in TX and probably a bad idea (at least) in other CCW states. A shooting that would be justified in any other circumstances would be very questionable in a bar. There's nothing in a bar worth jeopardizing my future over. Nothing.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 14, 2012, 01:19 PM   #23
kinggabby

Quote:
There's nothing in a bar worth jeopardizing my future over. Nothing.
If it is worth someones future over then they might as well get rid of their guns and hand over their CC license. Because they are headed down that path.
Old January 14, 2012, 01:38 PM   #24
serf 'rett

Some things are really quite simple.

Quote:
running around the seamy parts of town
Don't go there.

Quote:
Yup--weapons and alcohol do not mix
Correct.

Quote:
9 people got shot at a nightclub on Christmas day here.
If that club is in the seamy part of town, then see first comment.

Quote:
Here in the south bar hopping/dinner restaurants is a very social thing
Have lived in the South for 55+ years and haven't been bar hopping, yet I do many social things and Lord knows I've hit the eateries.

Quote:
the opportunities to mix with women
Are you really interested in meeting women found in the seamy parts of town?

Quote:
in a non-drinking environment
I thought the opening post was asking what others did in a drinking environment.

Anyhow, when you cross the Mississippi River into Arkansas, your question becomes moot as it's not legal to carry in a bar. As an additional thought, our state powers-which-be did not want to appear prejudiced against drunks so we can’t carry in church either.
Old January 14, 2012, 01:51 PM   #25
FairWarning

It is unfortunate that most high end clubs and bars are either right in the middle of or just outside very seedy/dangerous areas, especially if you live near a major city. I have two vehicles, one rather expensive and one very average. I no longer take the expensive one to clubs or downtown much at all just because it draws all kinds of unwanted attention, both from would-be carjackers and police. I also drink very little these days. Better to be aware of the world around you at all times.

Regarding packing heat, from a common sense standpoint (and more importantly, the law) guns and heavy alcohol usage do not mix. The song "10 Feet Tall and Bulletproof" is based on fact.

Last edited by FairWarning; January 14, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Closed Thread