The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 19, 2006, 12:54 AM   #1
Gareth Moehr

Mystery Rolling Block Rifle

Hi guys;

I have a old rolling block rifle with absolutely NO markings. I even took the stock and forstock off and looked underneath them. NADA for a hint of manufacturer or model. It's similar to a Remington Crackshot, but it's bigger all over. The most obvious difference is the barrel is much heavier.

It appears to be a .22 caliber. It has a saddle ring and distinctive trigger guard that I can't find anywhere else. If you pull down the trigger guard to lower the block, the number 3518 is stamped on the trigger guard next to the hinge. That's the only number or mark anywhere on it. For construction it has three screws through the reciever/trigger housing assembly

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rifleleft.JPG (38.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg rifleright.JPG (40.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg rifle2.JPG (22.9 KB, 83 views)
Old February 19, 2006, 10:52 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It looks like the Hopkins and Allen Model 922, the "New Model Junior." If there is any marking, it should be on the top of the barrel in very small letters. Those rifles (there were several models) were made from 1888 to 1915, when the company went out of business. The ring is not a "saddle ring", only an assist in unscrewing the take down screw which holds the barrel in place.

As you might gather from the name, those were made as boy's rifles and sold in that era for from $3 to $5. There is a mild collector interest if the rifle is in excellent condition, but few are, as most youngsters shot the heck out of them.

Jim
Old February 22, 2006, 12:02 AM   #3
Gareth Moehr

Checked out

Yes, you are quite right. There is a mark in VERY tiny letters on the barrel. With that info, I found the rifle in a book. It is a model 922. Thank you so much for helping me solve this mystery!

Gareth