The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 16, 1999, 01:39 PM   #1
Will Beararms

Shot' a Seven point Buck at 06:30 on 13 Nov at 65 steps once in the right shoulder with a 30-30 using 150 grain Remington Express softpoints from a Marlin 336W topped with a Tasco 4X Scope. (The rig cost less than $350.00 brand new and is ideal for dragging through the rough terrain we hunt.)Although he dropped immediately, the animal was shot once more while on the ground due to the fact that we hunt in dense bottoms and thickets in Southeast Arkansas. If a deer gets up again, you can lose it very easily. At first, I felt bad about shooting such a small buck. One hour later a Doe and Spike Buck crossed in almost the exact spot. I felt much better noticing that the Spike was three times larger than the Seven Pointer I had taken. The downed deer was checked in at an Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Checkpoint by a contract Biologist. The small Buck weighed 96 pounds and was 4.5 years old. Hunting is not the rage it once was in Southeast AR and there are too many deer per acre. The problem is accentuated by those who plant grass for a short period of time. It seems that artificial forage makes the deer over-populate since they think there is plenty of food. SE AR could stand a 30 day season where a deer a day is taken preferably one or two Bucks per person and as many Does as possible. The hunt was very meaningful for me in that I helped rid the SE AR herd of an inferior Buck with bad DNA. Additionally, I missed a Doe at very close range, two days later---------this kept me humble and will keep me coming back. I hope everyone else had a safe and productive hunt as well. Next up, January Duck hunting in the Felsenthal WMA----God willing. America, what a country!

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited November 16, 1999).]