The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 3, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1
senior
Member In Memoriam

German p38/01

Recently picked up a 1959 P38 trade in and showing my ignorance by asking just WHAT is that long metal chain with metal beads for in the cleaning box? Assume it is part of the cleaning process, but cannot figure its use, thank you for any explanations.
Old September 3, 2009, 02:20 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would assume it is a pull-through for cleaning the barrel without disassembling the gun or taking a chance on a cleaning rod striking the breech, but I don't think it is factory.

Since the P.38 is the simplest pistol in the world to field strip, please don't even think about using a pull-through; they tend to break, leaving the patch in the barrel.

Jim
Old September 3, 2009, 02:45 PM   #3
senior
Member In Memoriam

cleaning

I agree that the chain and beads have something to do with cleaning, but just dont understand what it would be as the chain is about 38 inches long with metal loops on each end and the metal beads are part of the chain from one end to the other
Old September 3, 2009, 06:39 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, I can't see any cleaning purpose to be served with a chain that long. It may have been someone's idea of a way to secure the gun. I wouldn't worry about it. I have a postwar P.38 in the original factory box, as well as other Walthers in the factory boxes, and none has anything like that, so I don't think it is any factory accessory to the gun.

Jim
Old September 3, 2009, 07:02 PM   #5
senior
Member In Memoriam

chain

Thanks Jim, Yea this cAme with box and holster also and that little plastic cleaning box, think i'll keep it and when my belt gets old i'll just use it for holding up my pants! LOL