The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2009, 03:52 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

That's what it is alright. I have no clue why they did that? It's obviously not an accident, but rather an extra machine operation they are paying for (well, maybe not; it could be ground into the firing pin tunnel drill). I just have no idea what the advantage could be?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 5, 2009, 04:06 PM   #27
alloy

Looks like part of the deburring or the center-drill/pilot location in the lathe.
What Wildalaska alluded too?
Old August 6, 2009, 10:02 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

It does, but it is small for that and I can't think why they wouldn't do that before cutting the bolt face recess? You could argue it was done that way, but done too deeply. Well, that's one setting away from being fixed. I still can't see an adequate excuse for it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 6, 2009, 10:47 AM   #29
brickeyee

Someone might be getting a little heavy handed after drilling/reaming in removing any burs, or a tool was replaced and not set correctly for depth.

If you had someone setting up a tool with poor knowledge of firearms they might not even consider it an issue.
Old August 6, 2009, 06:01 PM   #30
Buck88

Well guys, what are we getting to here? Should I contact Remington and have one of their service centers check it out? Or should I follow WildAlaska's theory that all Remys do this and leave it alone?
Old August 6, 2009, 09:02 PM   #31
RKG

While I can't be sure how much bad will come of that primer flow, I'm sure no good will come of it and I would insist that the rifle be repaired. Oversized firing pin holes and firing pin holes with such an obvious chamfer are pretty basic design no-nos.
Old August 7, 2009, 12:12 AM   #32
impalacustom

I guess this is why I don't own or buy new stuff unless it's custom made. I would call Remington up and tell them to fix it or tell them I'd fix it and send them the bill.

That isn't how any rifle should be and is an example of **** poor quality in my opinion.