The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old May 22, 2000, 01:19 PM   #1
DannyO

Hasn't he had his 15 minutes already???

MIAMI (CNN) -- Donato Dalrymple, the self-described savior of 6-year-old Elian Gonzalez, is suing Attorney General Janet Reno and INS Commissioner Doris Meissner for allegedly violating his civil rights during the raid that removed the boy from the Gonzalez home.

Dalrymple filed a lawsuit asking for more than $100 million from Reno, Meissner and Deputy Attorney General Eric Holder.

The suit was filed Monday in federal court in Miami by Judicial Watch on behalf of Dalrymple. Judicial Watch is a judicial watchdog group that became active during President Bill Clinton's impeachment proceedings.

In his two-count complaint, Dalrymple claims federal agents conducted an illegal raid, and he alleges his Fourth Amendment rights protecting him against unreasonable search and seizure were violated.

The lawsuit states the government placed "substantial and complete restrictions on Plaintiff's liberty of movement" and that Dalrymple was "restrained by use of physical force...without probable cause or other legal justification."

The second count claims violation of due process under the Fifth Amendment.

Dalrymple was one of two fishermen who plucked Elian Gonzalez from the water last November.

The owner of a janitor service, Dalrymple visited the Miami relatives of the boy daily when Elian was in the temporary custody of his great-uncle.

During the federal raid to reunite father and son, Dalrymple tried to hide Elian in a bedroom closet before agents broke through the bedroom door and seized the boy from Dalrymple's arms.

------------------
"Some people spend an entire liftime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Semper Fi
Old May 22, 2000, 01:41 PM   #2
Hard Ball

I think his idea of suing Janet Reno for violating his civil rights is an oustanding idea! It would force DOJ tp reveal all sorts of information they would rather keep secret.
Old May 22, 2000, 04:33 PM   #3
kjm

Judicial watch didn't become active during the impeachment. From my understanding, there probably wouldn't have been an impeachment without Larry Claymons digging. I love 'em!
Old May 22, 2000, 08:42 PM   #4
paratrooper

Would he settle for free bait for a year ?

------------------
TOM
SASS AMERICAN LEGION NRA
Old May 22, 2000, 09:25 PM   #5
EnochGale

He isn't really a fisherman. He is a maid or
a housecleaner. His brother is the fisherman.
This jerk was on the boat just helping out.

While I don't approve of Reno, that doesn't make him worth old fish guts.
Old May 22, 2000, 10:47 PM   #6
hoosierboy

This "fisherman" is a media whore. It was known througout the media, he would come out once a day and walk past eveeryone and ask, "does anyone need me to speak to them today?" The just laughed at him and he went in. Rumor has it he was boneing marysleysis, who was a peice of work herself being in and out of the hospital several times through the whole ordeal. The uncle has a record for several DUI's. It makes for a great network movie. It makes the plot more interesting.

I hope he sues their asses off, and this will mean full dislosure, so we can see the justice department is just as crazy as they are!

------------------
MEMBER NRA, GOA, JPFO.
Old May 22, 2000, 11:20 PM   #7
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Regardless of Dalrymple's personal issues, I got $10 that says if he presses his suit, he'll have an accident before it's resolved.

Any takers?
Old May 23, 2000, 12:01 AM   #8
Juan Hunt Greer

Coinneach: No thanks, I don't take sucker bets!
crankshaft
Old May 23, 2000, 10:23 AM   #9
jeffer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EnochGale:
He isn't really a fisherman. He is a maid or
a housecleaner. His brother is the fisherman.
This jerk was on the boat just helping out.
[/quote]
So why was he in the house in the wee hours of the morning?
Doing a little (land fishing). Or could it be that he likes to take young boys into closets.

[This message has been edited by jeffer (edited May 23, 2000).]
Old May 23, 2000, 03:58 PM   #10
Ledbetter

Dalrymple, Reno and the American legal system deserve one another.

Coinneach: I'll take your bet. Can't lose either way .
Old May 23, 2000, 04:40 PM   #11
RickD

The posts knocking the Dalrymple distressingly shallow. Whether he wins or loses, this law suit under J-Watch will require the federal government to reveal some very embarassing things. Like some nagging doubts about the warrant, due process, and the law Reno says the family was violating.

Whether he gets the money or if he was star-struck is a red-herring. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

Rick
Old May 24, 2000, 10:53 AM   #12
EnochGale

Look in the mirror, RickD.

The Elian affair is not an RKBA issue.
Carrying on about it because you don't like
Reno is just another way to make us look
silly.

Give the father his kid and let the media
and money hound go back to fishing.
Old May 24, 2000, 11:17 AM   #13
RickD

This is not an RKBA-only forum.

What I hate are government thugs propped up by a 1.8 Trillion-dollar budget operating under color of law. They will use the same techniques to storm your door when they decide your Remington 700 is no longer politically correct.

While you harp on the media-seeking behavior of a side-issue fisherman, others are looking into the likely illegal behavior of the federal government.

I can't wait.

Rick
Old May 24, 2000, 12:40 PM   #14
ChrisL

The fisherman aside, including the farcical, circus like nature of the press coverage, the actions of the government were clearly illegal and if we're to believe prior Clinton defenders Dershowitz and Tribe, "..a danger to every American..". I find it non-sensical that anyone can discount the whole affair as being only a media charade based on self agrandizement and profit for all those involved.

As stated, we'll see how happy we are when something similar happens to us and the cry we'll hear is....."Move on..They're just gun nuts!". The real Clinton legacy. "Move on...Business the american people elected us to do..Move on..Nothing to see here...Move on.."

"..Carrying on about it because you don't like Reno is just another way to make us look silly."??

Liking or disliking Reno has nothing to do with it. This is likely THE most corrupt justice department leadership and administration in this country's history. We don't need an atlas to know the road we're on. More learned, experienced legal minds than ours have recognized the action for what it was and we're worried about it making US look "silly"? As compared to corrupt, illegal, unethical and immoral?

And "..not an RKBA issue...?" Really? We screech that the 2nd is the foundation that protects the rest of the BoR but somehow shredding the 4th and 5th are not RKBA related? The BoR is a package deal. A violation of one amendment should arouse the suspicion of the all others.

[This message has been edited by ChrisL (edited May 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ChrisL (edited May 24, 2000).]
Old May 24, 2000, 12:42 PM   #15
FUD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EnochGale: ... The Elian affair is not an RKBA issue ...[/quote]If our government can use force to grab a young boy without due process of law (after all, the family was still invovled with discussions with the government through their lawyers -- it wasn't like they locked themselves up and refused to cooperate), what is to stop them from using the same methods to start grabbing guns? For that reason, I think that this is a very important issue for this forum.
Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD