The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 18, 2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Parabellium

First time black powder, need some info on Revolvers

Hi im new to this forum, and i need some info

i have been looking at some of the traditions 1851 navy and the 1858 rem
the barrel is marked FLLIPETTA ITALY one brass case and one that i guess is steel, looks like darkened brass. $130 for the brass and $150 for the dark brass are these any good and how strong is the brass?

and another one thats used and its a 1858 rem all steel except for the trigger gaurd, and its engraved under the barrel with E.N. Santa Barbara made in Spain. they are asking $150 and it seems to be in nice cond.

thanks for any info
Old February 18, 2005, 08:51 PM   #2
mec

The FllPieta means they were made by the Pietta Company. Some people have good look with brass frames while others find they shoot loose fairly quickly. One poster said that he had actually bent his brass framed Remington 58 by seating a bullet too hard. This is quite feasible as the area at the bottom front of the frame has very little metal.
There are rumors that Pietta has improved their quality in recent years. This is definately the case with Uberti-another Italian replica maker.

For good information on using the caplock revolvers, see the black powder section of thehighroad.org. There is a sticky not by Gatofeo that is very detailed and useful
Old February 18, 2005, 11:49 PM   #3
Gatofeo

"There is a sticky not by Gatofeo that is very detailed and useful ..."
--- Mec

Not by me? I just checked and only saw my post as a sticky in the Blackpowder section of The High Road.
There's another grumpy ol' ugly cat somewhere in the Utah desert?
You mean I have a doppelganger?
Ohhhhhhh! The horror! THE HORROR!

Old February 19, 2005, 12:04 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

There is indeed a "sticky" thread and I was impressed enough to make it "sticky" for our members. Click here Gatefeo's thread on how to use a cap 'n ball revolver
Old February 19, 2005, 01:03 AM   #5
Parabellium

Thanks for the info!
are pietta Revolvers good?

Gatofeo: im from northern utah, any shops you can suggest that are helpfull and have good prices?
Old February 19, 2005, 02:06 AM   #6
Springer45

Piettas are fine. I have an 1858 that I bought from Cabela's last summer and it's been a great piece.

Last edited by Springer45; February 21, 2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old February 19, 2005, 02:49 AM   #7
Parabellium

great, tomorrow ill head down and pick it up.

also any hints on finding soft lead? i want to make my own balls.
Old February 20, 2005, 07:50 AM   #8
RoyP

A cheap place to fing lead is to hit the local tire shops and see what they do with thier old wheel weights.
Old February 20, 2005, 11:06 AM   #9
Ozzieman

Bent a rememgtion loading lead???

That one I would find hard to believe if they were loading it correctly and using soft lead, I have 9 different colt repros most are
FLLIPETTA and there are problems. But there minor and usualy the small parts that make up the lock work and trigger.
But the parts are all easy to get and very easy to replace, IF I was paying 500 like a repro built by colt that would bother me but for a 120 dollar gun its nothing.
One other thing, being that there so cheep I have taught myself simple gun smithing with them.
I have one that I have had since I was 18 and IM 50 now. Its been fired so much that the bar that the cylinder rotates on has a small cut just below the start of the barrel where gas pressure has cut it. And thats a lot of rounds in a cheep black powder gun.
I would much rather have a real or repro COLT but these Itilians are a lot of fun and well worth the money.
Try to find a large gun show, they can be had much cheeper and there are a lot more to choose from,
Suggestions:
1. Stay with 44 cal lot more fun
2. My favorite is the 1862 colts, like the sheriffs model in 5 1/2 inch.
3 Remingtons are stronger, but there not colts and for me dont feel or sound as good.
4. have FUN
5.HAve fun
6. have fun

PS the 1862 colt is the one in the middle,
PS #2 car lead weghts are good but a little hard, there is a lot of Tin in them. Add at least 30% pure lead to tire weights and they will be soft enough. Remember the softer the more accurat the gun. When the ball is inserted in to the cylinder there is only a very small ring cut off and the barring surface that makes contact with the lands in the barrel in minnimal. When you use soft lead the ball actualy changes shape more when its fired and makes more contact with the lands. Car weights work very well in rifles where patches are used but in colt repo's the softer the better. But I have shot a lot of car weights too.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 3, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old February 21, 2005, 04:19 AM   #10
Parabellium

thanks for the info guys, i picked it up and i cant wait tell i can take it out and shoot
Old February 21, 2005, 12:21 PM   #11
armedandsafe

Wheel weights are actually pretty hard for black powder. I go to the recyclers and pick up plumbers lead or X-Ray lead. The desirable stuff is pure lead, with no tin or antimony. Every once in awhile I run across a dive belt in the thrift store. The weights are 5lbs each of pure lead and I can often get a belt with 4 or 5 weights for $5 or so. That always makes me happy.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old February 22, 2005, 05:04 PM   #12
mec

my bad Sticky Note by Gatofeo not Sticky Not by Gatofeo

good sticky note and it is by Gatofeo