The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Desert Rancher

LC9 vs P89 advice

I used to have a P89 and still have some clips. Wondering if I should get another P89 or go with the LC9?

I just don't know what all the differences are. Not looking for CCW, just hip carry and accuracy.

There is some difference in cost.

Thanks!

~DR
Old January 12, 2013, 12:34 PM   #2
baddarryl

They are not even remotely the same. Depends on your purpose. I have an old p89 and you cant find a better tough old reliable truck gun or duty gun for the money anywhere. They are quite the value. That being said, I wouldn't let the mags influence you. You can always sell them in this frenzy! Have you looked at the P95?
Old January 12, 2013, 12:38 PM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
I used to have a P89 and still have some clips. Wondering if I should get another P89 or go with the LC9?

I just don't know what all the differences are. Not looking for CCW, just hip carry and accuracy.

Get a Ruger P95. It will use the same magazines as the P89.

The LC9 is a totally different gun, specialized, very small. Much smaller than a canned ham.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 12, 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Pico

Keep all hi cap mags

Roger that comment to keep those mags. Next year you may be able to trade them for an LC9.

Pico
Old January 12, 2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Desert Rancher

Thanks guys.

Do I need to be an FFL to sell mags? What about ammo?

~DR
Old January 12, 2013, 09:49 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Do I need to be an FFL to sell mags? What about ammo?
Shouldn't.

Some sates have weird requirements, but I've never heard of any that keep you from selling magazines. Unless you're in California, and have what they consider high capacity magazines. In that case, possession is grandfathered, but you can't sell them. AFAIUK, YMMV, I Am Neither A Lawyer Nor A Californican.

If you do want to sell, you should be able to liquidate those magazines pretty easily, and for decent money.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 15, 2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Skans

The LC9 is a very small 9mm which is Double Action Only (think revolver trigger). My LC9 can fit in most of my pants pockets with the right pocket holster.

In comparison to the LC9, the P89 is a much larger, bulkier, heavier, 9mm with a double action / single action trigger. One is intended for concealed carry. The other is more of a range gun, or mid-to-full-sized gun.