The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 11:04 PM   #1
FrankenMauser

Ruger Customer Service Strikes Again!

For its 20th birthday, I sent my well cared for, but well worn, .44 Mag Super Blackhawk off to Ruger. I wanted to see if they'd replace the cylinder with the newer version, due to varying throat diameters and some lock-up and cylinder-to-barrel alignment issues (it was worn out ).

They sent me back what is essentially a new revolver, built on my original frame.

Work done:
-Replaced barrel and front sight (wasn't necessary).
-Replaced cylinder.
-Replaced base pin.
-Replaced rear sight.
-Replaced ejector shroud (with steel).
-Replaced hammer (for an undocumented trigger job).
-Replaced locking pawl (not in the paperwork, but it isn't the original).
-Replaced all hardware (every pin, every screw).
-Replaced all springs (undocumented, but they aren't the originals).
-Full refinish and re-blue.
-Shipped back via 2nd-Day Air

Total cost: $0.00

So, it's 20 years old, has seen many thousands of rounds, and is now "new, unfired" again. Not to mention, the Ruger billboard is now under the barrel.

The photo they sent back with the revolver, of the test target, shows a 6-shot 15-yard group of about 1" outside edge to outside edge. It's impossible to make out individual holes in the crappy image, but I'm hoping it's perfectly capable of the 0.6" groups that target hints at.

Not even a drag line, yet....

(That color difference between the frame and grip frame is just due to lighting.)

My only complaints are:
1. They didn't ask before they replaced the barrel. The old one was fine.
2. They used the new-style base pin. (I like the shouldered style.)
3. The new cylinder has much more end-play than I'd like.
4. They didn't communicate with me, at all, even though I asked them to let me know what the course of action would be.

We'll see how it shoots on Saturday....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0799_800.jpg (217.0 KB, 4685 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0798_crop_800.jpg (210.1 KB, 1305 views)
Old January 23, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2
shootniron

If you are dissatisfied with it, I will refund the money you spent to have it rebuilt...and I will pay shipping and FFL fee. Just let me know...
Old January 24, 2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Nanuk

Very nice!
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:18 AM   #4
silvermane_1

nice super blackhawk, hope is brings you some good groups for years to come.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old January 24, 2013, 06:31 AM   #5
jason_iowa

Ruger has a long history of standing behind its products. Its always great to hear more stories though! I'm sure they felt there was a reason to replace the barrel or they would not have done it.

Beautiful SBH, well done Ruger. Its so much more satisfying to do business with a company who stands behind its products. I don't mind paying a premium for a premium product. I wish more companies would use this kind of business model.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:37 AM   #6
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootniron View Post
If you are dissatisfied with it, I will refund the money you spent to have it rebuilt...and I will pay shipping and FFL fee. Just let me know...
Seconds!
Old January 24, 2013, 06:58 AM   #7
seeker_two

Quote:
If you are dissatisfied with it, I will refund the money you spent to have it rebuilt...
I'll double his bid.....that's nice work!

Last edited by seeker_two; January 24, 2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:11 AM   #8
CajunBass

About typical of what I've experience with Ruger customer service, and what I've heard from others.

They may have simply replaced the barrel, to put the roll mark on the bottom of the barrel for you.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 24, 2013, 07:42 AM   #9
jrhilde

Had to reread your post to make certain I understood that you were honestly complaining and it was not a joke---now then, you are upset that you send them a very well used handgun and they vertually rebuild it for you at no charge? So Ruger has almost lost a customer by going well out of their way to completely satisfy you? Maybe you would be happier with a different manufacturer, have you ever considered Taurus ?
Old January 24, 2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Nasty

I'll not only cover your repair costs, but will go so far as to refund to you every penny it originally cost you!

Remind me...what did those cost 20 years ago?

I remember they were expensive...like almost $150?
Old January 24, 2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Leejack

I'll offer you five times what the other guys did, and we'll split the shipping!
Old January 24, 2013, 10:09 AM   #12
rodfac

Geez, Frank...I'd call that spectacular Customer Service....if' you'd wanted a conversation regarding what needed to be done...a letter to that effect should have accompanied the gun...but reading your post again, I have to assume you're completely satisfied...and any dissatisfaction is tongue in cheek...Right?

Then again, some folks would complain if they were hung with a new rope!

BTW; those are truly beautiful stocks....Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:08 AM   #13
garbler

Ruger is darn good about taking care of their customers. A warning though. If you send them a gun that has custom parts or has been smithed they will throw out all parts that have been altered or are not original and restore the gun to ' factory ' settings.

It's a legal thing
Old January 24, 2013, 02:12 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Geez, Frank...I'd call that spectacular Customer Service....if' you'd wanted a conversation regarding what needed to be done...a letter to that effect should have accompanied the gun...but reading your post again, I have to assume you're completely satisfied...and any dissatisfaction is tongue in cheek...Right?
Indeed.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:13 PM   #15
rodfac

Thank goodness, Frank...I've enjoyed your knowledgeable posts over the years....thought you'd gone over the edge there for a brief moment...Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:12 PM   #16
collectormzornes

That is awesome glad to see it hasn't changed with all the other crazy world changes.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:35 PM   #17
bedbugbilly

Very nice! I understand what you're saying but like you said, you essentially have a new handgun . . . that will last you many more years. I have Colts, Smiths . . . but I love my Rugers . . . maybe I'm lucky but I've never had a bit of problem with any of them . . . rugged and dependable all the way!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 24, 2013, 11:58 PM   #18
Daggitt

Unbelievable. I can't believe how badly you were treated. Dump the darn thing in the trash and buy a Taurus. Just out of curiousity , what's your address and what day does your trash man come? I'm just curious. It's my nature.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:05 AM   #19
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Unbelievable. I can't believe how badly you were treated. Dump the darn thing in the trash and buy a Taurus. Just out of curiousity , what's your address and what day does your trash man come? I'm just curious. It's my nature.
I can't believe it, either.

How could they have the audacity to just completely rebuild the revolver...

I think I'm just going to dump it in a lake, so I don't have a constant reminder of how terrible their customer service is.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:19 AM   #20
GP100man

Few yrs. back I sent in a Redhawk & conversed & sent a letter to please fix the barrel issue only !

The only thing I got back original was the frame,trigger group asm. & the cyl.

They determined due to wear all the parts below were replaced & fitted

Springs
Crane
Barrel
Hammer asm.
Trigger
Front sight

& they refinished the Satin Stainless !

It has 1 of the smoothest ,crispest triggers I ever pulled on a redhawk !!

No communications until I opened the box , still no explnation just the list of parts replaced .

Disappointed , alittle , but more HAPPY with my Redhawk !!!

GP
Old January 25, 2013, 07:38 AM   #21
Gdawgs

I have a Super Redhawk that won't fire about half the time when shooting double action. Goes off everytime in single action though. I may have to send her back and see what happens.

I only know of one person who had a bad experience with Ruger customer service.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:35 PM   #22
GP100man

Gdawgs , bet a dollar to a donut someone has put liter springs in your Super & did`nt shimm the hammer to stop hammer drag (marks on the side of the hammer) shimming helps alot !

http://triggershims.com/
Old January 26, 2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Ozzieman

Ruger did do him a great service but, it would be nice to know why.
This would be like taking a car in for a front end alignment and they change the transmission, motor and steering gear and not telling you why. Just what was wrong that needed all that work?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:29 AM   #24
Big Blue Cats

With Ruger's call to arms petition and stories like this Ruger has found a new customer with me!
Old January 26, 2013, 11:23 AM   #25
blfuller

I sent a Ruger Mk1 back for a reblue and it was miraculously transformed into a brand new looking gun. I was really surprised on how it looked considering there were dings all over it. I have always liked their customer service.

If you don't like the base pin, I'd replace it with one of the aftermarket ones that have a shape to your liking, it'll probably tighten things up as well. Belt Mountain is one of the manufacturers