The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 26, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
57phil

Questions about a Riverside Arms Shotgun

I'm looking for a little more information, or confirm what I already found, about a shotgun that belongs to my mother-in-law. It's similar to one that was discussed on this forum back in 1999.

Directly below is the information from my mother-in-laws gun:
Riverside Arms Co
Chicopee Falls Mass USA
Pat.Apr.20-1915
Serial Number 51776
In 1999, Harley Nolden responded to Joe Portale, who had a gun with basically the same info just a different serial number. Below is Harley's response:
According to my records the Riverside double is mfg'd By J. Stevens Co. and is actually their Model 315. This is one of several utility shotguns Mfg'd by Stevens from 1877-1988. My records indicate the the value on this shotgun is: NIB $1.000.00-Excellant=$500.00-$200.00.

There is a year code stamped on every Stevens double barrel shotgun produced between March 1949 and December 1968. The serial number is prefexed with a letter. if your shotgun does not have a letter preceeding the Sr# it was mfg'd prior to 1949.
So I'm guessing my mother-in-laws gun is also a Model 315 that was made before 1949. The serial number isn't preceded by a letter. Does this sound correct?

Is there any way to determine the manufacture date based on the serial number for guns made before 1949?

In a follow-on post in the 1999 thread, Joe thanks Harley for a parts diagram and I'm wondering if the parts diagram is still available.

Thanks, Phil.
Old November 26, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

RIVERSIDE ARMS Co
TRADE NAME USED BY STEVENS ARMS Co 1915-1940
IT IS THEIR MODEL 215 &315

HARLEY
Old November 26, 2009, 06:35 PM   #3
PetahW

There is NO serial number/date of manufacture information available from the records of A.T.Stevens Arms & Tool Co, aka Stevens Arms - later acquired by Savage Arms Co.

It seems that, when the Stevens production records were subpoenaed by Congress shortly after WWI when Congress was investigating Stevens for war profiteering (Stevens was the largest maker of firearms in the world at that time), Stevens reported that all their records were "lost" - and have remained so ever since.

The closest one can come is by knowing the issue and diecontinuance dates of a particular Stevens model whatever, finding from collector's about how many were totally produced, and inferring the DOM by averaging yearly production.

IOW, a WAG.

Old November 26, 2009, 10:36 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Riverside was a Montgomery Ward trademark on other goods; whether that gun was made for MW, I don't know but such arrangements were common.

Jim