The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 16, 2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Glockstar .40

AR lube

got a daniel defense v2 being shipped to my house. its my 1st AR and was wondering what is the best lube on the market right now? what are yall running with?
Old November 16, 2012, 12:45 AM   #2
scsov509

Frog Lube. Been using it for about 8 months now on all my weapons and love it!
Old November 16, 2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Moby

Several folks including Armalite say to run synthetic motor oil on the bolt and run it wet. I've done that with mine and have had no problems.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old November 16, 2012, 01:06 AM   #4
scsov509

Quote:
Several folks including Armalite say to run synthetic motor oil on the bolt and run it wet. I've done that with mine and have had no problems.
We run Mobile 1 on most of our business' demo guns, many of which are full-auto AR's and AK's. It flat out works, and is dirt cheap compared to anything else out there. There are a lot of great lubricants and cleaners on the automotive aisle, that's for sure!
Old November 16, 2012, 01:55 AM   #5
Metal god

IMO what ever you use make sure is more on the thick side .The hotter the bolt gets the thinner your lube will get . I used CLP for a while It seemed to work just fine . Im using Slip 2000 EWL 30 right now till I run out then I may try something else maybe some axel grease but I do like this Slip stuff . The EWL 30 is very thick , not as thick as some greases but way WAY thicker then CLP . When you put it on the BCG it stays there . It does not run off down in to the buffer tube or out between the receivers by the buffer when left in the safe for awhile . When you use something thick like grease or this Slip stuff you know when you grab your gun it will be good to go and will stay wet for many rounds .

In short for your BCG use the thicker stuff - Slip , frog lube , motor oil whatever Im sure they all will work well and really CLP is very good , if it's good enough for our soldiers it will be more then adequate for us at the range .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 16, 2012, 07:00 AM   #6
lmccrock

Synthetic motor oil to lube, Hoppe's #9 to clean on the bench. Breakfree CLP as a field expedient cleaner/lube.

Mobile 1 works quite well on an AR. However, over the years I spilled more on the bench than goes on the gun and it is still cheaper than the dedicated gun products.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:21 AM   #7
pturner67

Froglube, BF CLP, Mobil 1 synthetic oil...they all work well. I made a batch of snot (equal parts Mobil 1 5w30, CLP, and auto trans fluid) and it also works.

The most important thing...clean it and keep it lubed.

Last edited by pturner67; November 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Crow Hunter

Don't use a grease on the cam pin.

If you get it the firing pin channel and it is cold, you might get light strikes.

(Personal experience)

I use Breakfree CLP or Mobil 1.

I have never used Froglube, but I have read some complaints about getting thick/gummy and bolt tail corrosion.

Good luck.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Mrgunsngear

Breakfree CLP or 0 though 10w synthetic motor oil. I use lithium grease on the rails on the outside of the carrier but CLP or oil would work too.

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; November 16, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Edward429451

Weaponshield is good stuff. Midway.
Old November 16, 2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Fishbed77

Breakfree CLP works great for me. Cheap, works, and is easy to find.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:37 PM   #12
mitranoc

I like Eezox the best, but you can only buy it online. Breakfree CLP is also a great product.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Eghad

I use Slip 2000 EWL and I am trying out some Frog Lube.

NRA Life Member
Old November 16, 2012, 08:01 PM   #14
mitranoc

Quote:
Frog Lube. Been using it for about 8 months now on all my weapons and love it!
Quote:
I am trying out some Frog Lube.
Hey guys I recently bought some Frog Lube, but have not used it yet. They say that it works best if used while your gun is still warm? Is this how you're using it?
Old November 16, 2012, 08:07 PM   #15
scsov509

Quote:
Hey guys I recently bought some Frog Lube, but have not used it yet. They say that it works best if used while your gun is still warm? Is this how you're using it?
Yep, I usually let my gun sit under a lamp for a few minutes to heat up or hit it with a hairdryer/heat gun if needed. Then I apply some liquid, brush it in lightly with a cleaning brush if necessary, and then wipe the crud and excess off. I reapply while it's still warm, let it soak in and cool for a few minutes, and then wipe off the excess and reassemble. Shouldn't take longer than 5-10 minutes, and you'll be amazed at how much will weep back out of the metal when it warms up when firing. On my AR's I'll sometimes add a drop into the gas key and holes in the right side of the BCG between strings of fire if necessary, but mostly I just keep on shooting and let the Frog Lube do it's stuff.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:13 PM   #16
Steve in PA

Slip EWL 2000 is what I use.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:25 PM   #17
mitranoc

Quote:
Yep, I usually let my gun sit under a lamp for a few minutes to heat up or hit it with a hairdryer/heat gun if needed. Then I apply some liquid, brush it in lightly with a cleaning brush if necessary, and then wipe the crud and excess off. I reapply while it's still warm, let it soak in and cool for a few minutes, and then wipe off the excess and reassemble. Shouldn't take longer than 5-10 minutes, and you'll be amazed at how much will weep back out of the metal when it warms up when firing. On my AR's I'll sometimes add a drop into the gas key and holes in the right side of the BCG between strings of fire if necessary, but mostly I just keep on shooting and let the Frog Lube do it's stuff.
Cool - I look forward to trying it out. And it smells good too! Thanks.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:36 PM   #18
Marquezj16

OTIS CLP - what I use downrange and what I use at my local range.

Only used engine oil on M240B and M2. I am thinking of trying out some for my AR15s some day.
Old November 16, 2012, 08:57 PM   #19
scsov509

Quote:
Cool - I look forward to trying it out. And it smells good too! Thanks.
The minty-fresh scent is nice when you're running suppressed, that's for sure.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:29 PM   #20
Nathan

Quote:
Weaponshield is good stuff. Midway.
+1 Great stuff.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:33 PM   #21
pturner67

I have a question about Gunzilla

I have read what everyone on here and other forums have said about Gunzilla and the consensus is that it's a great product.

So...I pick some up today to see for myself.

Gunzilla seems to clean very well. So well that I re-cleaned 2 clean guns today and came away with multiple dirty patches.

My concern, though, is with how thin Gunzilla is. I'm used to using "snot" (equal parts BF CLP, Mobil 1 5w30, and automatic transmission fluid) and having my guns feel very smooth. But the snot is so much thicker than Gunzilla. I notice my CZ doesn't feel as smooth when pulling the slide back.

Can someone please comment? Does the lubricating property change over time? Is there something I'm missing? Is this all in my head? lol
Old November 19, 2012, 10:02 AM   #22
9mm1033

On recommendations from other AR owners, I've recently switched to 0-20W Mobil 1 synthetic. I was talking to a local police officer and he told me the PD AR's are lubed with Mobil 1. Works for me.
Old November 19, 2012, 10:14 AM   #23
B. Lahey

I like CLP, motor oil has benzene and other nasty stuff in it. I'm not such a health nut that a little motor oil on my hands would freak me out, but CLP works very nicely without the troublesome ingredients.

And I can say from personal experience that getting CLP in your mouth and eyes will not poison or blind you.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Crow Hunter

Be careful about Breakfree CLP anyway. It has some significant liver toxicity.

It also breaks some people out (me).

I still use it though.

Good luck.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:10 PM   #25
mukibetser

Another vote for frog lube. I head up metal components with a hair drier, apply the Flube, and then heat again and rub it in. I like it because it is simple -- all-in-one for cleaning and lubrication -- and smells a lot better than synthetic cleaners and lubricants. It does indeed seem to make it much easier to clean a gun after several applications.