The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 4, 1999, 05:09 PM   #1
KowHunter

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between this gun and a regular 870 express? Im searching for a good home defense shotgun and want somthing similar to what scattergun sells, but their prices are way too high for me. If I could I would just get the 870P and put a scattergun tech mag extention on it if it doesnt already have somthing to that nature.

------------------
-KowHunter-
Old September 4, 1999, 06:10 PM   #2
Mike Baugh

Kowhunter , Remington recently changed the finish on there 870P to a black from the original parkerized . I ordered a new 870P to send to Scattergun and when it arrived I noticed the color difference , when I called Remington they said they had switched colors . The new color does not match Scatterguns accessories , if that matters to you , it mattered to me so Remington refunded my money . I have had a couple 870P guns and I never noticed any difference except they use walnut for there wood stocks versus birch and there are no tube dimples in the mag tube to restrict you from installing a mag extension , they also have the ball bearing detent in the barrel ring to keep the mag tube from unscrewing on its own , if you remove the dimples from an Express you should put a clamp around the mag tube and barrel since the Express barrel does not have this detent to keep the tube tight . The Scattergun versions I thought were reasonably priced for what you get , the 870P 18" bead sight , wood stock , no mag extension , ran me $349 dealers cost and it was a bear to find , most of the cheaper dealers that carry the Police versions sell them in that configuration for $389 . Good luck , Mike...