The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 17, 1999, 11:58 PM   #1
SB

There is my review of the pepper spray. Comments and critiques on how to improve things are most welcome.

http://bbs.ipass.net/~stringb/pepper.html
Old May 21, 1999, 11:37 PM   #2
chucko

I read your review. Impressive! You have more guts that me. I've never used or been sprayed with pepper gas. The only point of refference I have is making my to the gas chamber twice a year while in the USMC. They burned CS pellets in the chamber and it acted on mucus membranes and any moist part of your body. Eyes, nose, mouth, lungs, and other moist parts we won't mention here.

I do have a couple questions.
A friend of mine gave me a can of pepper spray labeled:
BG-X ( BodyGuard 10% ) 10%OC, 1.5M SHU

I see you reccommend 2M SHU.
Whats SHU?
Is it a liniar rating?
( so 1.5M SHU is 75% the power of 2M SHU )

Thanks for your time.
Chuck
Old May 22, 1999, 08:11 AM   #3
Kodiac

Here is an idea for a more realistic test of the OC...
and try it with FOAM and REGULAR SPRAY to see if there is a differance.

Have party to be sprayed be the attacker - he has to snatch your pistol - make that a water gun in your holster.

When he makes his move - from 21 feet away... you may start spraying.

See who wins.

Tell us how this test turns out...

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old May 22, 1999, 11:01 AM   #4
SB

I recommend also checking out a similar thread on bladeforums. Many of the issues are being addressed there.

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000243.html

As for foam, I do know one guy that was sprayed with it, and not surprisingly, he swears by it. And yet, I've also heard cases where the foam can be wiped off and thrown back. Not so with a regular spray. Hence, my recommendation against them. However, I could be wrong. Please let me know if I am.
Old May 23, 1999, 04:26 PM   #5
Jeff OTMG

The foan was really developed to prevent widespread contamination in jail environment. There was a problem with jailers not having any weapons available so they were issued pepper spray. Unfortunately if it gets into the air it can recirculate in the air conditioning and spread, the foam prevents this but does allow for throw back. The Guardian Products BodyGuard and BG-X lines both use 2 million SHU (Scoville Heat Units) pepper. I would like you to try your test with the fogger version. It helps if you are not expecting it because when it hits you, you gasp in surprise, inhaling the cloud. I was IMMEDIATELY incapacitated. My throat closed up and I could barely breath in addition to the ntense burning sensation that you experienced.
Old May 23, 1999, 05:41 PM   #6
SB

Well, in the review, I was supposed to be sprayed in the mouth. I assume it would produce a very similar effect to the one you described.

It's true that choice of spray depends on the situation because each type has their advantages and disadvantages. Foggers more resemble area weapons, and great if you need to leave a "cloud" behind. The disadvantage of foggers though, is that it can be carried by the wind. That's the strength of the stream, because it's concentrated. Disadvantage is that the user has to make it connect with the attacker. And of course, foam you've mentioned it's advs/disadvs.

You know what? I realized I wasn't clear enough in my review. My recommendation was made for most folks who are carrying it when they go out. I'm going to go and clarify that. Thanks.
Old May 24, 1999, 10:57 PM   #7
buzz riley

Chucko,
To answer your question about Scoville Heat Units(spelling borrowed from Jeff)-its a rating system used for spices.
Also, OC doesn't compare well with CN or CS, since the latter two are roughly 60% psychological(if I remember my training correctly). I've had the displeasure of them all, and OC definitely "sucks canal water" compared to the others.
Old May 25, 1999, 07:07 PM   #8
Exiled And Addicted
Retired Screen Name

I got sprayed once from an aerosol mist canister directly as part of some continuing training for my security officer license, and let me tell you, it was a beast! My eyes slammed shut, I bent over and didn't come up for a few minutes. My face stayed hotter'n hell and bright red for over 2 hours, even after washing thoroughly with cold water. It's not a "user-friendly" force option, so be careful.
Old June 12, 1999, 08:24 AM   #9
Hoplite

From what I've seen and heard OC's effectiveness varies greatly depending on the ammount of the exposure and the individual in question it's used upon. Having participated in and observed OC's use in a gas house (an enviroment where everyone participating is exposed to a roughly ( I would say) equal ammount) I can tell you that reaction varies from person to person. Some people will be totally incapacitated (bent over coughing, gagging, crying, with snot hanging out of their nose four feet), while others will only experience an uncomfortable burning and constriction and once out of the enviroment will be not much worse for the wear, so I have to conclude that individual makeup counts for something as far as OC goes. Although it does seem to have at least some effect on everyone.

Exposure ammount will vary in real life also(Direct hit/partialhit/outside/inajailcell etc.) Anyone with any sense isn't going to stand still and let you hit them directly with that stuff, and also I think controlled breathing and not panicking also help in dealing with the effects of the gas.