The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 17, 2015, 01:18 PM   #1
rebel66

lever action

I'm trying to decide on a new lever action rifle.marlin336,rossi94,ormossburg464.buying new.trying to stay under $600.anyone have knowledge of any of these rifles?
Old February 17, 2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Chaz88

I have the stainless Rossi 94 in .38 - .357, I like it for what it is. It should still be well below your price point.

Fit and finish look fine on the outside but the machining is rough on the inside. Mine functioned fine out of the box but I will be taking it down, at some point, to clean it up and smooth it out.

Biggest finish problem I noticed right away is the unusually sharp end of the loading port. It will chew up your thumb if you are not careful.

The biggest problem, for me, is the sights. With target loads it shoots much higher than you can adjust for with the rear sight adjustment. Hotter loads helped but it is still unacceptable.

So, I like it for what it is. It is a lot fun to shoot and matches the caliber I shoot the most. But do not expect anything close to out of the box perfection.

If you have specific questions I will answer if I can.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old February 17, 2015, 02:06 PM   #3
SaxonPig

You've got pistol caliber models and rifle calibers models listed. What do plan to do with it? Serious hunting get the 336 or the Mossberg. Fun shooting get the Rossi in the revolver caliber of your choice.

I have a older Winchester 94 (1956) in 30-30 that has hunted a lot. My Savage 99 dates to 1902 and Lord only knows how many trips to the woods it has under its lever (the 99 may be the best choice for hunting as it allows superior pointed bullets to be used in its rotary magazine). I never owned a Marlin 336 but they are superior rifles.

My M94 Trapper in 44 Magnum has enough power to be a hunting arm but I just use it for fun shooting. My Rossi M92 in 45 Colt is purely recreational.

All of the rifles discussed in this thread are good. What's your need and caliber choice?
Old February 17, 2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Mosin-Marauder

I've always wanted one of the 336 marlins in .30-30 but I don't have any real use for it, other than a deer/coyote/plinker, and my .22-250 already fills those voids.

I'd get the 336. Those generally run about $400 for the W model.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old February 17, 2015, 03:20 PM   #5
Lucas McCain

As an owner of a whole safe full of lever actions, IMHO none of the new lever actions have the smoothness and quality that the rifles of say 20 years ago had.
If you're looking at any of todays new rifles, the Henry is the only I would recommend.
If you are looking at a lever action rifle of the 308 class your choices are the Savage 99 and the Browning BLR and don't forget Brownings 1895 model. Those are excellent, very high quality, reliable rifles.
If you're looking at a 30-30 class rifle you will want a pre-64 Winchester. In that era there isn't another lever action rifle that can match it. There are Marlins and post 64 Glenfields that are ok, but because of their micro-groove rifling design, they aren't as accurate. I only own one Marlin and that is the 35 Rem. No one else made it in that caliber. It is nothing but a safe queen, because it's a problem rifle.
Old February 17, 2015, 04:32 PM   #6
William T. Watts

I'd stay away from the new marlins for now, I purchased a new Marlin and had two replacement rifles shipped to me and neither one was worth keeping. Very poor quality at this time!! Fit and finish not good, head spacing and chambers poorly cut and throw in over size bores too.. I encountered all of these in the three rifles I either purchased (1st) factory replacement rifles (2). Marlin didn't leave much for Remington, eventually Remington will straighten it out, for now I would wait!! ! William
Old February 17, 2015, 04:37 PM   #7
s3779m

Just picked up a 336w from academy for $369. Have been wanting a gun with open sights for the truck that had a little more power than the marlin 1894c that I had been carrying. Put a fiber optic on the front since my eyes are getting as old as I am and I have been pleased all the way around. Grouping around an inch with the open sights at 50 yards from a kneeling position, which is all the accuracy needed, if I need more I'll grab a scoped rifle. I had forgotten what a pleasure the 30-30 is, only draw back on the 336w is the trigger, it takes getting used to (around 6 pound ). The stock on it is very soft, I put a few light dents on it putting the fiber optic sight on it, and it has gotten a few more from the truck but other than that a good gun, a great gun for the money.
Old February 17, 2015, 04:59 PM   #8
CowTowner

Quote:
only draw back on the 336w is the trigger
I had the same complaint with my 1894FG (41 Mag) Marlin.
I fixed it with this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/180...ProductFinding
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 17, 2015, 07:33 PM   #9
badlander

Find A nice used Marlin 336. for $400. or so and be happy.
Old February 17, 2015, 08:25 PM   #10
zachattack2

I have shot the marlin 336 a few times and would would defiantly reecommend it for other people to buy.
It has a very smooth action and shot doesn't jam or anything in that sort.

The gun is very reliable and if you want to get a good lever action gun either get the marlin 336 or the Henry. I have the Henry and I love it!

Zach
Old February 17, 2015, 09:28 PM   #11
jimbob86

My impression of the guns you mentioned:

The Marlin 336 is similar to my daughter's Marlin 30A. Heaviest of the three, more rifle-like than the others. Barrel is stiffer, and has a heavier profile than the others, which are more Winchester 94ish. Stock is likewise more substantial on the Marlin. IME, the (percieved?) recoil of a Marlin is lighter than that of a Win94 .....more weight, more to hold onto.

The Mossberg is a slightly more robust (or less svelte?) copy of the Winchester 94 ...... if that's what you are after, then that's your gun.

I've never played with the Rossi, but I gather that it's a pistol caliber carbine. That would make it cheaper to feed, but of limited utility for hunting. If you are not going to hunt deer sized game, that might be your gun.
Old February 17, 2015, 09:39 PM   #12
badlander

The pistol caliber rifles are more than enough for deer size game and larger with the .45 Colt and .44 Mag.
Old February 17, 2015, 09:44 PM   #13
Blindstitch

I could make a recommendation but I need to know the purpose first.
If it's hunting are you in a state that can use any cartridge or pistol only?
Are you just looking for a fun cool target gun.
or a fun cool cowboy type rifle.

Caliber might make all the difference.
Old February 17, 2015, 09:46 PM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
The pistol caliber rifles are more than enough for South Florida deer size game and larger with the .45 Colt and .44 Mag., so long as the range limitations of the pistol rounds are kept in mind.

Fixed it for ya.
Old February 17, 2015, 10:03 PM   #15
badlander

Good point.
Old February 18, 2015, 02:51 AM   #16
Darto

I noticed on the H&R NEF forum that the 30-30 was about the most accurate of all calibers in that single-shot rifle.

My point is a savage 99 with spitzers might be both flat shooting and accurate. And gentle on the shoulder too!

I have a very old 94 in 30-30 (used) and Rossi 92 in .45 LC (bought new).

Both cost cheaper than a new Henry. Neither of my two will take a scope very easy.
Old February 19, 2015, 09:38 PM   #17
Drm50

Marlin 336

Find a Marlin 336 marked JM, this is before Rem screwed up quality. 336 is easy
to scope and usually cost less than 94 Win. I have several Marlins, the 30/30
is the one that is shot the most. Another poster said Savage 99 in 30/30 with
Spitzer bullets would be good. I agree, but the cost of good 99 in 30/30 will
make your head spin. A lot of other brands mentions are nothing more than
novelties, Wanabe's.
Old February 19, 2015, 10:16 PM   #18
skizzums

people will tell you to stay away from rossi, I am not disagreeing, just sharing my experience. I am 1000% happy with my stainless 20" rossi .357. it feed about anything as long as you are mildly "fast" with the action and handle it with authority. it is surprisingly accurate and quitter than a .22 with cowboy .38 loads. I do get a hair of gas-blow on my .38 cases that I don't with .357's. the gun I ultra lightweight and gives the .357's a little kick, although not painful or anything. I don't see any reason to get the action "slicked" up as others do, it does just fine for my purposes but I have limited experience with levers in general. do your own research, but I have had my rossi over a year and probably around 1000 rounds and have zero issues with and it is a blast to shoot and light enough to carry on a hike all day. I will complain about th little bras bead front sight, it can be a PITA on a bright day
Old February 20, 2015, 01:13 AM   #19
Pathfinder45

Rebel66, where art thou?

There's nothing terribly wrong with wanting a new rifle..... But a great many of the best rifles that have ever been made aren't new. So why limit yourself?
I say, if you want to put a scope on it, then Marlin or Savage. If not, then Marlin or pre-64 Winchester.
Will it be a 30-30 carbine? Then the Winchester model 94's made from 1937 to 1948 are the most attractive to me. The Marlin 336T is also of interest.
Will it be a 30-30 rifle? Then the Winchester model 55 is first choice, preferably solid frame, though most were take-downs. Even older model 1894 rifles are also nice but pricier than I can abide with. The best price on some of these can often be found in one that's not entirely original, but tastefully recombined. Like a model 1894 receiver, straight-stocked, with shotgun buttstock, model 64 barrel and magazine, looking for all the world like a model 55.....
Limiting yourself to a brand-new rifle? So boring....
Now if we are talking about a, "pistol-caliber", lever-gun, well, that's full of options too. The Marlin 1894 Cowboy is very nice for a new rifle.
Old February 20, 2015, 01:22 AM   #20
jimbob86

Quote:
I say, if you want to put a scope on it,
...... then take care not to mount it too high- these things are stocked for a very low sight plane, generally.

If you do scope it, get a cheek riser/comb raising kit to get you eye elevated to the new sighting plane.

Nothing ruins the finest quality of the lever gun (quick handling) like not being able to find your target in the scope because you shoulder the gun and are looking square at the mounts ......
Old February 20, 2015, 04:50 AM   #21
skizzums

I agree, when I first got the levergun I saw all the cool setups and scopes etc, but after shooting it a little bit, you'll see why its the perfect gun for ironsights. It's quick on target and quick to shoot. I am more interested in some of the iron sight upgrades than I ever would be on a scope. It's the perfect mid range gun as it is, but I guess if I had a bigger caliber and decided to hunt up to 200 yards, I might have a different opinion.
Old February 20, 2015, 07:09 AM   #22
Tony Z

For Marlins marked "JM", where will this mark be? Also, what year did Remington buy Marlin and are there also any other identifiers? A 336 in 35 Remington is on my gun "bucket list" (peep sights).
Old February 20, 2015, 07:48 AM   #23
stagpanther

Hands down a 16" 44 mag lightweight carbine. Even neutron bomb strength loads are fun to fire out of a lever gun. Some don't approve of mounting a scope atop a traditional lever gun, but you'll get over that quickly shooting MOA or less at 100. : )

Old February 20, 2015, 09:01 AM   #24
Bruce_Hunter00

Marlin .44 Lever

Last fall I purchased a Marlin .44 from Grabagun good price.
Out of the box is would not cycle any ammo it would jam.
I called Marlin and they said send it in ,,it would take about 6 weeks before they could work on it. The tech from Marlin said they had problems with cycling FTX even with the red follow designed for FTX.

I owned an older 30-30 Marlin and the action is similar and
I wanted to use it for late deer so I decided to look at it my self.

Wow was I disappointed in the workmanship the bolt had some huge burs where the lever moves it back.

I filled off the burs polished all place where I could see places of wear or too tight. Look up leaver action tuning. After about 3 hours of work the gun cycles well from .44 special to Hornady FTX so from the shortest to the longest.

I like the way the Marlin ejects the cartages out the side not the top. I have a scope on my rifle.
Old February 20, 2015, 10:29 AM   #25
jimbob86

I have often said on this forum that ......

......the best value in deer caliber guns are often found on the used/consignment racks.

For those of you looking for older model 336's, Marlin built these rifles for various chain stores in the 1980's ..... and put the store brand names on them. They can be labeled as J.C. Higgins (Sears) Model 45 and Model 50, the Montgomery Ward Western Field Model 740-A EMN, the J.C. Penney Foremost Model 3040, and the K-Mart Model 30TK. Before that, they sold these same rifles as the Glenfield line- Models 30, 30A, 30AS or 30AW. They have stained birch stocks and a bit lower level of metal finishing than the standard Marlin 336's of their day, but from what I have seen, they are still superior in the fit and finish department than what Marlin is putting out today. My daughter has a Marlin 30AS, and it's been a great gun. We did put a Burris 2X handgun scope on a LeverScout mount and the lowest rings we could find ......still had to raise the comb about 3/4 of an inch with some foam padding under the cartridge sleeve on the stock to get the sight plane right. It works really well for her.

Deer caliber guns get shot very little, for the most part: guys may put less than a box through them in a year, then it's back in the closet for 11 months.

The one thing with used lever guns to watch out for is a worn/damaged crown from poor cleaning practices- most guys are too lazy to remove the bolts and clean from the breech, and won't use a muzzle protector, either, so their cleaning rods beat the hell out of the rifling right at the muzzle ..... that's not unfixable, but it ain't free, either.

Other problems might be lead fouling- the micro-groove barrels are not real cast boolit friendly, as a rule ...... also fixable, as it copper fouling.

These problems should never happen in this, the Age of Information ..... but like I said, people are lazy ...... it's easier to just buy another gun than properly maintain the one they have!