The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 10:46 PM   #26
TunnelRat

@Rinspeed
It's far from a dog. To me there are other items in the HK lineup that, FOR MY OWN USE, I like better. My purpose is to just let people know of some things I found out after purchasing. All HKs are expensive and this is no exception so I figure if these are factors that might turn off other buyers better to let them know. If there are factors about it that really appeal to you I do think it could be a great gun.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 5, 2013, 12:34 AM   #27
ScotchMan

Changing an HK from DA/SA to LEM is not tinkering. It is fixing a mistake HK made in the factory when they didn't make it LEM from the start.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 5, 2013, 12:42 AM   #28
TunnelRat

Quote:
It is fixing a mistake HK made in the factory when they didn't make it LEM from the start.
Lol, and we enter the realm of personal opinion. To each his own. It is certainly nice to have the option.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:04 AM   #29
buckhorn_cortez

I just purchased a P30 with the V1 trigger. For me, it's one of the most comfortable pistols I've shot. This includes seven 1911's in various sizes, an XDm 5.25, and an FNX-9. My pistol ejects all of the brass 4-5 feet from the pistol, in about a 5-foot diameter circle at the 3:00 position from the ejection port.

My only beef with the pistol is the trigger. I cannot get used to the V1 trigger after 500 rounds. It's been dead nuts reliable in function, but I cannot put the rounds where I want them at this point in time. I don't have that problem with the 1911's, XDm, or FNX. I had my wife shoot it, and she had the same problem with the groupings being low and left because of trigger control. She uses an XDm in action pistol and can shoot a pretty tight group with that pistol generally scoring "A's" on the IDPA torso targets.

I've seriously thought of selling it and trying a Walther PPQ M2 - I'm just skeptical I can find one + magazines in time to beat the Feinstein agenda.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:24 PM   #30
RC20

Quote:
I'm ******. I've been thinking a P30 will be my next pistol and I know I read you think it's a dog. Maybe I'll just look for another 229 made in the 90's.
I will continue to say that if it suits you the P30 is really a fantastic gun.

If there is one aspect I like most is the grip. Of all the guns I handled (and continue to handle) for me it simply is perfect.

That does seem to be a consistent vein in what you read and I think that my brother with his smaller hands and mine are both fine with the same grip setup he settled on.

Its also accurate. I have shot my SP2022 a lot more, but I have been able to shoot better rested groups with the P30 (not by a lot but enough to notice)

I am not enamored with the de-coker (I do like the Sigs) but easily gotten used to.

I thought the SA trigger is better than the SP2022 and about equal to an older P220 (not quite as good but pretty close). DA went to the Sigs but again not by a lot.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:53 PM   #31
BRJACKET

Question for TunnelRat

Which HK pistols did you (or would you) keep and why? Just curious about your thoughts.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:36 PM   #32
TunnelRat

I own two P2000s in 9mm DA/SA. One for carry and one for the range. To me they have all the accuracy and more comfort than the P30 and in a more convenient package. YMMV.