The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 26, 2011, 05:21 PM   #1
hooligan1

Shooting Sticks

What is the best shooting stick apparatus in the market today?
I bought myself the Primos Tri-pod Trigger-sticks outfit but it malfunctioned the very first outing. I did get another set to give it another chance, but I was wondering how you guy's see those other shootingstick designs.
I will tell you this, that the Primos Trigger-stick design tripod is pretty sweet, you kind of point the V at the target and squeeze the trigger and the leggs fall quickly and sturdy for a good rest. They really seem to help me, although the deer I shot this year I wasn't using them. But I still really like them.

What about some of those other makes and models fellas???
Old November 26, 2011, 06:20 PM   #2
rickyrick

Made my own cause I'm a cheap wad
Old November 26, 2011, 07:39 PM   #3
columbia_shotguneer

I picked one up from Wmart for 9 or 10 dollars 4 years ago. I think they still sell them there but dont know the cost. I think it is a Winchester brand. It is really rugged and reliable, IMO.
Old November 26, 2011, 07:40 PM   #4
phil mcwilliam

I've been on a couple of African hunting safaris, where everyone uses shooting sticks. Never saw anything more complex for shooting sticks over there than 2 or 3 sticks bound at one end with some bicycle tire inner tube. Cheep, simple & they work.
Old November 26, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5
WIN71

I'm a cheap wad too

Old November 26, 2011, 09:48 PM   #6
BIG P

Made mine with a telescope tripod & a peice of plastic pipe cut in half for the rifle to rest in,its almost as good as a bench for those long shots on cutovers & power lines.Not real fast but light & adjustable.
Old November 26, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

Anyone wanting a 'cheapo' set of shooting sticks should take a look at this video on utube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsQjpx87zo

When I was in Africa last year my pH had two long hardwood sticks wrapped with an old inner tube and they worked great

I have had a Primos monopod trigger stick for a couple of years and really like it. It isn't as solid as the bi pod sticks I used in Africa but it makes a great hiking staff and can be deployed quickly if you happen to jump a deer while walking to your stand.
Old November 27, 2011, 06:46 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

My buddy has been dying to get a set and each one he last looked at looked pretty cheap.

Save your money and make your own set like Win71 did. A couple of sticks and a bike inner tube will do the trick as well. My buddy and his Dad are actually going to make a couple of sets using inner tube before the next season.
Old November 27, 2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Hog Buster

A few years back, when hunting sticks were just starting to show up, I made some. They worked fine for general target shooting. However in the field they were a very large pain in the rear. When carrying them they got hung up on everything, plus toting them around was a chore, without a third hand and arm. For quick shots they were just something to slow you down and get in the way. A couple of times trying to use them was enough.

Maybe if I’d had Mobutu the gun bearer it would have been different, but I didn’t and it wasn’t. I got so aggravated that I left them sticking in a soft spot in the ground during the last attempted use..... Someday I’ll go back and see if they’ve taken root.
Old November 27, 2011, 01:41 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

I use a Harris bipod, but have had success with home-built shooting sticks, in years past.

Crankylove and Cornbush make shooting sticks (up to 48" tall) out of 1/2" hardwood dowels, and twine or para cord. Aside from being perfectly adequate, they're dirt cheap. If the shooting sticks become a nuisance during a stalk, they can be left behind without a worry.

I can't find a good picture of the shooting sticks.
The bipod, at a "medium" setting:

Last edited by FrankenMauser; November 27, 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old November 27, 2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Lee McNelly

suggestion

c if this helps