The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2011, 11:24 AM   #26
Clark

In 1999 I got home from a flight back from Japan with no sleep in over 24 hours.
I went to Microsoft for an interview for a 3 month gig designing a keyboard, and aced the interview with hours of math derivations.
I felt really smart.
I finally went to sleep.
When I woke up, my email told me I have won an auction for an M44 rifle and a case of ammo.
I had no recollection of bidding or even seeing an on line auction.
I paid the money.
I felt really dumb.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 10, 2011, 12:36 PM   #27
scsov509

Quote:
4 is a good age.
My kids started helping me at about age 3. I'd only do something slow paced at first, say removing primer crimps or resizing small quantity brass on a single stage. But by age 5 or 6 they were helping with things like emptying brass out of cleaning media, sorting cleaned brass by caliber, or putting loaded ammo into boxes. My oldest is big enough now to sit at a turret press by herself and load complete cartridges one at a time as long as I sit with her and supervise. It's slow, but it's great time together and fun that she's even old enough to go shoot some of those now. (Wow do they get big FAST!)

Now we homeschool our kids and find you can use just about anything as an opportunity to teach. My 4 year old daughter is learning numbers right now by reading from a digital scale while we weigh and sort bullets and brass for bench rest shooting (or digital kitchen scale while we cook). My oldest first learned about different units of weight at the reloading bench (grains, grams, oz, lbs, etc), and then ended up spending the next month doing a research project on weights and measures and even wrote her own poster size conversion chart. And pertaining to the OP, now when I have accidents and spill powder or have to pull bullets, the powder goes in a big coffee can and gets saved for later. You can't even imagine what sorts of cool science experiments you can do at home with leftover powder.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:35 AM   #28
madlink

all seriousness

All kidding aside, I have loaded nearly 10,000 9x19 rounds without a single mishap, and one reason for my success is that I never reload when I'm tired, and I don't allow myself to get distracted. I use a Dillon 550B and I typically use a dental mirror and flashlight every once in a while to make sure the powder is filling okay. (I have never had a problem with the powder!!)
Old May 11, 2011, 04:18 PM   #29
Cascade1911

Quote:
3.a. On days where I am not shaking badly (familial/essential tremors), and I'm feeling froggy... I'll write the full charge weight on large primers. ...All three digits, with the decimal point.
I remember going to Ripley's Believe it or Not when I was a kid. Lords Prayer on a pin head and all that. These days I can't even read the cartridge markings without good light.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:35 PM   #30
greentick

I frequently work a shift that ends at 2am. Takes me an hour to wind down after Im home so during the cooler months I reload if my wife isnt up. When I start getting fuzzy I wrap it up. A few months ago I flipped the primer pick up tube for my 550B over and right in front of my face pulled the cotter pin... and watched 100 primers drop out onto the floor. Still turn one of those up occasionally when I move boxes around.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:24 PM   #31
sc928porsche

Before I retired, I reloaded on the weekends after everyone had gone to sleep. Of coures that was just ONE of the excuses I used for my afternoon naps.