The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 6, 2008, 06:22 PM   #1
bigpappa10mm

cowboy costume

Do shooters carry a large knife while competing to compliment authenticity or should I say do I need a knife or not
Old March 6, 2008, 06:57 PM   #2
berkmberk1

Around here mostly they don't. But then a lot of them are "Plinkerton Men" and have their cash stashed in slicked up Rugers and they dress to the minimum. Myself, my rig may have one eventually, as I don't think of it as a "costume" as such. Like the LBE I had on duty a few years ago, I'll put it together as a "working" rig for those times I'll actually use it. Right now I haven't found a knife and sheath I like to fit a big 2 1/2 in belt!

I'm not the "bowie knife big enough to decapitate a horse" type, but I like something a little more substantial than a skinner.

Like I said, around here most CAS guys don't seem to feel naked without one....but one would serve to round out your overall outfit. Your choice.
Old March 6, 2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Hawg

I don't think many do. Oh, be careful with them big fancy spurs. You can bust your butt before you know what happened. If you decide to wear spurs get plenty of practice when you're alone, specially coming down steps. Not gonna tell ya how I know.
Old March 6, 2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
If you decide to wear spurs get plenty of practice when you're alone, specially coming down steps. Not gonna tell ya how I know.
He He, I have a pair that I haven't worn in almost 14 years because of an insodent that was less than plesant..

My 6 year old asked me about a year ago what they were & how to put em on but for the life of me I couldn't get my self to sport em for her.
Old March 6, 2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Marshal Pb Slinger

Quote:
Do shooters carry a large knife while competing to compliment authenticity or should I say do I need a knife or not
Are you a member of SASS? Many shooters wear knives as part of their costuming....
Old March 17, 2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Mark Milton

In the late 1800s, it was awful slow to reload most single action revolvers.
So when you emptied your five beans out of the wheel, a big bowie was a comforting thing to have if some sort of fracas was still going on.

It may not be required, but its better to have it than need it than to need it and not have it.
When I was a kid, my grandpa always said Tonto was the smartest man in the old west, because he carried a big knife and a revolver...
Old March 17, 2008, 03:27 PM   #7
Musketeer

If I ever can get into it I would like to do a costume based on a former cavalry officer. Kind of a mix of uniform and non-uniform pieces with the saber included.

What's the point in having studied fencing if I can't carry a sword!?!?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old March 17, 2008, 04:11 PM   #8
deanadell

It's about half and half with the group I shoot with.....

Personally, I don't, just because I haven't come across a period correct piece that I like yet....
Old March 17, 2008, 06:09 PM   #9
berkmberk1

Quote:
Personally, I don't, just because I haven't come across a period correct piece that I like yet....
I know what you mean. I was watcing Ebay all fall and winter for period pieces, anything adequate, not necessarily a Bowie............a lot out there.......about as much for an original in good condition as for a new custom job. I've just been trying to find an economical (not necessarily "cheap) 6.5 - 8 in. carbon steel blade knife. A lot design-wise is done up in stainless...........and they are a bear to get a good edge on...........
Old March 17, 2008, 07:04 PM   #10
Hawg

Some good period stuff here. www.crazycrow.com
Old March 17, 2008, 07:48 PM   #11
deanadell

thanks for the link Hawg.....might have to check one of those out soon.

Now that hunting season is over and my kids Basketball season is over (don't have to referee on Saturdays anymore ) it's time to start Cowboy shooting again.....
Old March 17, 2008, 09:31 PM   #12
berkmberk1

Thanks for the link! I just remembered them. Had the link once but my hard drive completely and utterly died......kaput..........nada...........woulda put a ball in it if I had had one then...........
Old March 17, 2008, 10:42 PM   #13
CraigC

Check out this maker. I've got two from him now and they are both first rate. One came off his site, the other was made to order. I'll post pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

http://www.mlknives.com
Old March 18, 2008, 10:12 AM   #14
Jbar4Ranch

I couldn't find one I liked, so I made this one out of an old leaf spring and a shed elk horn I found out in one of my fields.

SASS 47015