The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2007, 12:30 PM   #1
darko

Limited space

Hey there,
I'm hoping to start being a re-loader sometime early nex year (starting with 45colts) but my biggest problem seems to be a place for a workbench. The only space I have available in the house is the laundry room. Which is only about the length of a washer and dryer side by side. It would be against the opposite wall of the washer/dryer which is where the door swings into, meaning my bench would only be about two to three feet long by maybe two feet wide(at best)! Is this realistically enough room for a workable loading bench???

28:06:42:12
Old December 3, 2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Musketeer

My reloading "bench" is a wood microwave cart. It is about 24" x 18" on top. Under the top (where the microwave would go except that I have a Lee Pro 1000 bolted to it with a hole cut out for the primers to drop) is an open cabinet space where I keep a box to catch primers and assorted items that need not be locked up (dies, books, scale when not in use, etc.). Under that are a pair of doors onto which I have added a padlock. Open them up and I have space for my powder, primers, loaded rounds, and anything else I do not want in the open.

It's on wheels and coverred with a sheet.

When I want to reload I wheel it out of the corner, uncover it, load primers and powder (brass is usually in it already) and go. I typically reload 45 COlt and 10mm and try to do as many of one type at a time as possible as the Pro 1000 is a pain to change calibers on (need to change the plate).

If I can reload with a 24" by 18" footprint you can do so with a laundry room closet!

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old December 3, 2007, 01:01 PM   #3
darko

Thanks musketeer! That is good news to hear. In fact, I was at a loss as to how/what to build for a bench but just took a quick look at some inexpensive kitchen/microwave carts and think I may be on to something. Those carts could easily be reinforeced by adding some beams to the sides and adding a heavier top. Plus they have cabinets that I could add a lock to for the stuff that needs to be kept from the kiddos. Man thank you! You may have solved my bench issues all around!

28:06:42:12
Old December 3, 2007, 06:49 PM   #4
BigJimP

Instead of a permanent bench - consider mounting your loader to a plank
( 2" X 18" ) - and then you can move it to storage. You can put it on a portable bench like a "workmate" or even a couple of sawhorses. Just clamp it down. Putting a loader on a benchtop that flex's can be a problem - even 3/4" plywood isn't stiff enough. If you make a benchtop out of plywood - use something real dense - like Baltic Birch or some other high density plywood. You might get away with taking a good quality 3/4" plywood and doubling it - with the top piece oriented the opposite direction of the piece on the bottom and get some more stiffness out of it that way.

I used this plank idea for 10 years or more for pistol and shotgun loaders / then stored them on a shelf in the garage when I wasn't using them.
Old December 3, 2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Musketeer

Hope it works for you. I have used mine for 5 years now. The only thing that does not fit well is the case cleaner but I just sit that to the side when I need to run it.

I have a kid issue also so the lock is a great addition.

Good luck!

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old December 4, 2007, 10:53 PM   #6
BigJakeJ1s

I bought a Rockler steel router table leg set (very heavy duty), and matching HD swivel casters (locking pivot & roll). A top and two shelves of plywood, with a fiew boxes of bullets and brass down low, and that thing is rock solid when the casters are locked. Top is 18x23". I roll it out to use it, roll it back into the laundry room when done.

Andy