The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2013, 06:36 PM   #26
Paul B.

I think it took me maybe 65 maybe 75 minutes to load up 60 rounds od rifle ammo yesterday. Taking into account I loaded 40 tounds of 30-06, then switched and did 20 rounds of .280 Remington, that sounds about right. Two things made the time as short a it was. One, the brass was brand new Winchester for both calibers fresh from the bag. All had been checked for dents, dented necks and other irregulariies the day I brought them home from the LGS. I usually buy a minimim of 200 rounds of rifle brass at a time, more on hard to get rounds like the 7x57 Mauser and .358 Win. All are checked within 24 hours of when I get home.
Cases are primed with a Lee hand primer and powder charges are thrown by an RCBS 1500 Chargemaster. Just dial in the wanted charge and push dispense. Calibration BTW only takes 2 or 3 minutes prior to charging cases. Once the first case is charged and check weight on an electronic scale and then with a balnce beam scale it's time to go to work. When you put the pan on the measure it starts dropping another charge. While the charge is going into the pan, I'm seating the bullet from the prior charged case. It doesn't seen to be moving all that fast but in actuality, it is faster than when I was dropping powder from the Uniflow. This is especially true when using log type powders such as the 4350's and 4831's. where you drop the charge short and trickle to bring to the desired weight. Do that with load work up and it can and will run ito hours.
Handgun loads are handled with the Uniflows. I have three. One is set up for .38 Spl. taret loads and rops 3.1 gr. of W321. I spot check charges ever 20th round. Another is set up for 14.0 r. of A2400 for the .357 Magnum. Same process as with the .38 Spl. Uniflow #3 is used for whatever other handgun round i might be loading from .32 ACP to the Colt .45.
Handgun ammo is usually done en mass so to speck. Take the .357 Mag. as an example. Currently I have well over 1,000 rounds of prass prepped and all I need is the bullets. Just have to find the time to sit down and cast a large batch. Currently I'm trying to find a couple of loads for a 30-06 and .280 Rem. I'm planning to use on an elk hunt starting in 22.5 days. Neither rifle is cooperating. I do have the old faithfuls that I normally use so if I don't find proper loads for the "new" rifles, it won't be the end of the world.
Paul B.