The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 4, 2013, 01:51 PM   #1
PawPaw

Savage Axis sight-in

I bought a couple of these rifles for teenaged grandsons for Christmas. They're both left-handed, so the choice was simple. My retailer was able to find two in .25-06 and I put them on layaway. They're actually a whole lot better rifles than I suspected that a rifle that I paid $318.00 NIB to be.

Sight-in was fairly simple, would have been easier if I hadn't used old bargain scopes that I had on the bench. But even with cheap bargain scopes, they sighted-in fairly easily.

It will be a little while before I can really sit down with the boys and wring those rifles out, to shoot for group, but I believe that they're going to be very nice rifles. They certainly seem to be accurate.

Next grandkid in the line-up tells me that he really likes the .308 cartridge. We might put a Ruger American on layaway for him for next year so I can do a side-by-side test.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 4, 2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Doyle

PawPaw, if the kid really wants a .308 see if the barrels on the Axis can be changed as easily as on a normal Savage. If it can, you could probably sell the .25-06 barrel and replace it with a .308 barrel for next to nothing. The .308 normally goes on a short action, but using a long-action donor shouldn't cause any problems.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:51 PM   #3
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
PawPaw, if the kid really wants a .308 see if the barrels on the Axis can be changed as easily as on a normal Savage. If it can, you could probably sell the .25-06 barrel and replace it with a .308 barrel for next to nothing. The .308 normally goes on a short action, but using a long-action donor shouldn't cause any problems.
Well, Doyle, the Axis uses a barrel nut, so changing the barrel shouldn't be a problem. All I need is a barrel vise and a spanner wrench. Those are relatively inexpensive.

I think that this kid will be happy with his .25-06. It's the next grandkid in line that likes my .308. He really likes my .308, but he ain't getting it. It's mine. He might get it eventually, but I suspect he'll carry me to a hole first.

Old January 4, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
reynolds357

Savage makes Axis in .308.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:39 AM   #5
bull bob

Doyle,

Be careful about that, the Axis uses a different recoil lug setup than the other Savage rifles. The lug is actually in the stock with a notch in the barrel that sets onto the lug. If the barrel was made for the Axis, then it should work.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:14 AM   #6
PawPaw

Quote:
Savage makes Axis in .308.
Well, it's a catalog item, and I've seen exactly one in left-hand. I ordered these rifles in March of 2012 and the dealer searched nationwide for them for nine months. We could find left-hand rifles in 30-06, .25-06, 270, 260, 7mm-08 and .243, but the .308 left-hand rifles were simply not available. The dealer still has two on order and no joy at this time. I finally decided to go with a .25-06 for the boys. The .25-06 is a great caliber for younger shooters, it's got enough boom to suit them, and it's very accurate. Recoil isn't a problem. Plus, we've got several in the family so we reload for the cartridge. (Of course, I reload for the .308 too.)

Yeah, you're right. Savage catalogs a left-hand Axis in .308, but I haven't been able to find one.

Old January 8, 2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Doyle

Quote:
Doyle,

Be careful about that, the Axis uses a different recoil lug setup than the other Savage rifles. The lug is actually in the stock with a notch in the barrel that sets onto the lug. If the barrel was made for the Axis, then it should work.
I did some more research. The recoil lug is behind the barrel nut. Any small-ringed savage barrel will fit into the Axis and the recoil lug doesn't come into play.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #8
bull bob

Oops, my mistake. I should have looked at mine instead of trying to go from memory.