The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 25, 2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Nick9130White

Turkey call problems.

I just bought the promos deadly double and I am having problems.

Its long reed up, notched on my right side. I can hold it with my lips, makes a sound. Push it a little back, hold it with my teeth, sound, Put it on the roof of my mouth, nothing. I trimmed the tape pretty far down cause it was making me gag to much it helped a little. Could that cause it?

How do I keep my tongue? Flat on the outside of the horse shoe? Just to hold it up?

Sorry for all the questions, and any tips appreciated!
Old March 26, 2012, 12:09 AM   #2
bejay

usually keep my tongue flat with some pressure and use it to keep the back of the call positioned in the roof of the mouth, if your new to mouth calls you should probably just start by getting used to the call being in your mouth and dont even try calling at first until your comftorable with it and its not causing you to gag it usually doesnt take very long to get used to.
Old March 26, 2012, 10:33 AM   #3
shortwave

Also, if new to calling, you may want to start out with a single reed.

The material you trimmed, can be trimmed but you have to remember that that material also acts as a gasket between the roof of your mouth and tongue. As you are exhaling or calling, if air is escaping around call instead of going by reeds , you won't get any sound(or very little).

You have to break in every new call. Sort of forming it to your mouth. If I have to trim a call, I try to trim as little as possible. Again, that material has to form a gasket especially on the sides of call.

Put your call in your mouth and let the material get wet(soften). Place call in proper position. Apply small amount of upward tongue pressure on material forcing call against roof of mouth. In short bursts, start out softly saying the words KEE-KEE-KEE. When you get noise from your call, still say the words KEE-KEE-KEE with a little more air and less vocal tone.

After you start getting noise from your call, there are many good tapes and even vids on youtube that will teach you different calls,cuts, purrs yelps etc.
You have to practice!

Also, VERY IMPORTANT:
There are also a few distress or alarm calls you need to learn the sound of. Accidently make these calls in the woods and you'll have a lonesome turkey hunt.
Old March 26, 2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Nick9130White

I got a new call and I can now get a sound!
Now I just gotta practice, thanks for all the help!