The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 12, 2010, 09:23 PM   #51
Uncle Buck

Bowtekhunter: Be Nice! That was my sister and it was a 30-30.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:30 PM   #52
boltaction

I was sitting in my blind on state land, with full blaze orange hunting clothes on, deer hunting when this nut comes walking through the woods with a shotgun. He stops about 40 yds in front of me and looks around like he's stalking something and then shoots twice at what I don't know. He "stalks" for another 10 yds then dose the same thing. At first I'm thinking what the f#%k is this A-hole doing. The I realize that I am a victim of hunter harassment. Wow, lucky me. Well back then there were no cell phones to call the DNR to complane and I wasn't about to leave my stand. So I thought what would be the next best thing to get a message across to this jack ass? I raised my .06 into the air and touched one off. I swear I thought this guy just **** his pants. He whirlled around bent over and looked at me with a look of shock on his face. I raised my arm and waved to him and the look of shock turned to a look of disgust. He stormed off and I never saw him after that.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:09 PM   #53
ENC

Last year pheasant hunting we scared up a hen who flew unmolested across a line of about 8 hunters and flew smack dab into a highline wire (not pole). Turns out she was only stunned, but I have never seen anything like it. Well unless you count the tweety birds into the windows.

Evan
Old January 13, 2010, 10:37 AM   #54
Pahoo

Quote:
Last year pheasant hunting we scared up a hen who flew unmolested across a line of about 8 hunters and flew smack dab into a highline wire (not pole).
I too have seen this, more than once. Also, if there is a lonely tree out in the middle of a field, they will fly into it. I have hunted Grouse in Wisconsin and it's amazing how they can fly in the woods. Same for Turkeys, but a Pheasant is a different story. Try getting a shot at one when it disappears from you field of view or shooting zone. Yes, most of the time they recover to do it all over again. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 13, 2010, 10:58 AM   #55
rcurry

All of you have seen some really interesting unusual things while hunting. Keep them coming!
Old January 13, 2010, 12:07 PM   #56
davlandrum

Watched a group of buzzards trying to figure out how to eat their buddy who was dead, hanging in some live wires. The wind would push him out from contacting the lower wires and all of them would swoop in, then the wind would let off and there would be a shower of sparks when it contacted the lower wire.

This was on an old Army base, so I don't know if they didn't have any protection circuits on the lines or what, but it went on and on. I was waitng for another one to get fried...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 13, 2010, 04:04 PM   #57
COYOTE JLR

Just this year while out deer hunting on the Grays Harbor/Mason county line (aka the middle of flippin nowhere) my buddy and I came across a fresh steer head, just skinned and still dripping blood, wedged into the fork of a tree at eye level and secured with a coil of thick wire. It was about this time that we decided to pack up and head home for breakfast.

Back about three years now I was out with a different friend of mine, it was late at night and we were on our way back from the coast when a massive bright green meteor passed directly over our head and disappeared over the horizon.

Four or five years ago I was hunting dove with two friends and we'd been walking through the forest toward a good clearing when a dove buzzed over head. One of my buddies pulled up and shot, we watched the bird tumble and hit several branches before falling out of sight. We wandered around for 15 minutes or more before realizing that it had fallen directly into the center of an ancient hollow cedar stump that stood in at about 12 feet or more.
Old January 13, 2010, 05:09 PM   #58
Pahoo

Pheasant Hunting

My buddy, his son and I were Pheasant hunting on private land, without a dog. We kept inside the fences on the land we had permission to hunt. As we came up over a small rize, we saw four other hunters with dogs in a perpendicular line to us and inside their fences. They got to the end and headed the other way. We continued and in short time we had a German Shorthair hunting with us. We tried to gesture him on but he just stayed with us and by that time the other fellers were out of sight. That dog was a super hunter and could even run down wounded birds. He hunted the rest of the afternoon with us and later we finally caught up to the other group and they thanked us for returning it. We told them that it was us that needed to thank them.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 13, 2010, 05:41 PM   #59
artsmom

I was walking across a county road while deer hunting, and looked down about 3/4 of a mile and saw an antelope. It seemed to be staring right at me, probably because I was wearing a pair of dazzling bright orange coveralls. I waved over at my brother to look, and the antelope caught the motion and started towards me at a trot. Then breaks into a canter, coming right down the road towards me. I stood stock still while it ate up the distance between us.

Finallly, the antelope was within 30 yards, and I thought to myself, "Getting savaged by a cougar or mauled by a bear makes a good story, but getting run over by an antelope won't impress anyone." So I turned to angle off out of the way. The antelope skidded to a stop, looked me over, and reversed course at a leisurely pace.

My brother thought the whole thing hilarious.
Old January 13, 2010, 05:51 PM   #60
Nnobby45

Quote:
Yes, odd sounds in the dark can be unnerving!
OK, relax you guys. The majority of sounds you hear in the early morning dark are simply other guys making their way to their tree stands.
Old January 13, 2010, 07:50 PM   #61
Rembrandt

After 40+ years of hunting I've seen plenty.....

* A blind 10pt buck stumbling into the side of our barn....probably got his eyes damaged by another bucks antlers in a fight.

* Another buck crawling on his knees through a ravine to avoid detection.

* MetLife blimp/airship flying about 1000 ft directly over my tree stand.

* Several deer caught when trying to jump fences.

* The most terrifying of all was an encounter with a Werewolf Deer...
Old January 13, 2010, 08:06 PM   #62
HankB

My 1st manager at my 1st real FT job was hunting during WWII, when he came across an area in the woods that was burnt . . . (He wasn't drafted, as he had a "critical" defense job - making Norden bombsights.) There were some pieces of metal framework scattered about, and strips of what looked like cloth caught up in the trees overhead.

He later learned that the Japs had been sending "balloon bombs" against the USA in the hope of creating forest fires. He looked at some pictures and it dawned on him that THAT was what he'd found.

Thing is, this was somewhere in upstate New York - so after crossing the Pacific, the Jap balloon crossed most of the USA. The maps he saw placed it well east of the furthest "official" landing of these devices.

He counted himself lucky, as some people on the Left Coast were killed when they approached one and it blew up.

He told me he looked again for it, but couldn't find the spot . . . so whatever's left is probably still out there.

As for myself . . . the funniest thing that happened to me was probably on one of the first times I went bow hunting. All decked out in camo, I was sitting quietly in a ground blind, waiting to ambush Bambi . . . when some sort of bird landed on my head! (I jumped a bit . . . )
Old January 13, 2010, 11:19 PM   #63
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The most terrifying of all was an encounter with a Werewolf Deer...
LMAO!

Now I know why they call you Rembrandt .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 14, 2010, 12:19 AM   #64
goldfacade

Bigfoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEsjvZFWg-o
Old January 14, 2010, 05:17 AM   #65
CajunBass

I don't know if it qualifies as "strange" or just "COOL" but the first time I went dove hunting, I was about 15 years old. I was next to my uncle on the fence row, and I watched a bird come in headed straight for him. He rose, swung his Parker 20 ga, and shot. Feathers exploded and the dove started its death dive.

My uncle, just as calmly as if he'd done it a million times, reached out his hand and caught that bird and stuffed it in his game pocket.

Now that was COOL!!
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 14, 2010, 06:49 AM   #66
troy_mclure

i got the wind knocked out of my by a wood duck in the same situation!, except it got me right in the chest.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 14, 2010, 06:53 AM   #67
DiscoRacing

while deer hunting,,,middle of the morn.. with my youngest boy... we heard something coming towards us in the distance... sounded like nothing Ive ever heard before... reminded me of how Adam Sandler screams all the time in the movie Waterboy... We watched as two owls were chasing each other,,thru the air,,screaching like they were both half dead,, and land in a tree right above where we were sitting..then the beat on each other for about a minute and continued on their way further down the woods. Not exactly sure what that was all about.... and... arent owls supposed to only be out at night??!!!
Old January 14, 2010, 10:46 AM   #68
Hog Buster

CajunBass reminds me of a day duck hunting with a friend many years ago. My friend shot a Mallard just about directly overhead. As the duck tumbled toward our blind he stepped out and caught it like a football. A broken wing bone completely penetrated his left forearm. After fighting infection and a rather long healing process I never saw him try that again.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:31 PM   #69
Magnum Mike

I shot a pheasant one time at about 40 yards out. It flew about 10 more yards then flew straight up in the air about 60 feet then dropped dead to the ground. Deer hunting I saw a guy get run over by a doe coming out of a cornfield. I thought that was funny.
Old January 14, 2010, 03:11 PM   #70
troy_mclure

first time out with a new dog(young german short hair pointer), its first quail hunt.

it came on point, we got ready, my dad called for flush, whoosh, about 30 quail exploded from this fairly small clump of brush.

before we could even shoot the dog was SCREAMING! it ran at least 100yd a way yipping like somebody had just shot it.

we could never get that dog onto quail again, you could tell when it smelled them, its tail would tuck up, and ears droop.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 18, 2010, 01:44 PM   #71
blkft1

A buddy and I were talking just as we set up our fishing gear on a dock in E.Texas.While he was babbling away about something I was watching some ducks flying low around the lake.I took my attention off the ducks,pulled out some gear then stared back at my friend who was talking to me when I noticed the ducks swinging in behind him.To my astonishment they just kept coming at us FAST,I could hear the wind off thier wings as they glided in.I just stood staring with my eyes widening thinking "No Way!". SMACK!!! My buddy takes a full wing to the back of the head.Of course he didnt even see the ducks that hit him,just turned around opposite the ducks flight path saying "What the H!" thinking someone blindsided him.I pointed to the ducks which at first he didnt believe,I'm guessing he thought it was the Creature from the Black Lagoon? Thats until they came around again at us,this time I was able to reach out at arms length and to touch the wing of one as they passed by veering away.Even though I wasnt the victim when I go fishing now I always glance behind me periodically to make sure nothings coming in on approach.
Old January 19, 2010, 11:16 AM   #72
STEINER

My brother was dove hunting along the bank of the American River when he sees a body floating along down stream. He swims out and grabs it, tows it to shore and calls the police. No way I would have grabbed it.

I saw a Wolverine up above the timberline around Desolation Valley back in
Old January 26, 2010, 08:17 PM   #73
Captain Tactical

Stepped on a huge black snake in my pasture! He hissed and jumped three feet! Got the willies just thinking about it.
Old January 27, 2010, 03:13 AM   #74
defjon

My great grampa used to coon hunt in central illinois all the time, beagles and a .22...wont go into massive details but he swears once he heard a sound he had never heard in 60 years of hunting, his dogs won't go near this bush the sound is coming through, he gets some lights in there and swears to this day it was an african lion- mane and all..

Me, I like cryptozoology and such. I believe him. So, I was thinking, maybe an animal escaped or let loose from a circus? It wasn't far from RR tracks. Who knows? Weird stuff out there.
Old January 28, 2010, 12:04 AM   #75
Doodlebugger45

One time me and my hunting partner didn't have as much time as usual to do our elk hunting in the Thorofare country. We packed our horses and went in 25 miles and set up camp and both of us killed our elk the next day. Packed it all up and went out.

The weird thing? Not once did a grizzly bear come into camp and tear things up. Not once did a bear come up to our kill site when we were dressing elk. Not once did a bear meet us on the trail we were riding along. Very weird.