The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 1, 2024, 11:33 PM   #1
Recycled bullet

300 blackout single shot handgun

I get to shoot this soon! I am excited!
Old February 2, 2024, 12:00 AM   #2
Pumpkin

A buddy of mine bought a blued 300 Whisper barrel for his Contender years ago. I remember how freaked out we were looking at the rifling twist on that bugger. Not sure if he ever shot it. Nice pistol.
Old February 9, 2024, 01:28 AM   #3
V-fib

had a CVA like that in .357. Not very fun to shoot. Sold it to Bud's and got a Traditions Outfitter G3 single shot rifle in .357, much nicer to shoot.
Old February 10, 2024, 03:30 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Unless you already have other gun(s) shooting the .300 Blackout, I don't see the point.

Its a 55K psi class round, which, going by the specs, will give you the same kind of performance from a 14" barrel that a .30-30 Winchester does, at a much lower pressure.

I notice what appears to be a thread protector, so you might want to look into getting a good muzzle brake for that beast.

Have fun, I would expect it to be quite accurate, though a bit of a handful for most shooting.
Old February 12, 2024, 06:51 AM   #5
Recycled bullet

The pistol shot well yesterday morning, all things considered. The best results tested with 155 grain flat nose plain base and 170 grain gas checked rcbs silouette bullets with 14 grains H110. At 30 yards the bullets grouped about the size of a postage stamp. I want to repeat the test with a pistol scope, as opposed to this 2moa green dot sight. My astigmatism causes the aim point to smear and blur. It kinda looks like a twisted letter L.

The other load used the 150 grain pointy flat base over 3.5 grains of Bullseye. These were not so good in the pistol, when tested in the bolt action rifle they were ok. In the rifle fired at 50 yards they printed twenty shots into about an inch, interestingly about 3 inches above point of aim. The rifle is roughly sighted in for 225 grain spire points over 10 grains of H110. I did not adjust the scope mounted to the rifle during testing.

Old February 17, 2024, 02:52 PM   #6
Recycled bullet

Shot it some more today. The Mp308 hunter mold surely cuts nice crisp holes in the paper plate at 50 yards. I shot seated, resting the big pistol over a rifle bag.
Old February 17, 2024, 02:54 PM   #7
Recycled bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-fib View Post
had a CVA like that in .357. Not very fun to shoot. Sold it to Bud's and got a Traditions Outfitter G3 single shot rifle in .357, much nicer to shoot.
Was it inaccurate or did it hurt your hands when fired?
Old February 18, 2024, 01:37 AM   #8
V-fib

not inaccurate at all. with a pistol scope on it, it was too heavy to shoot without some sort of mono/bi/tri pod. If you were to use your CVA in a deer blind with a rest it would work very well for you. However simply said it was just too awkward for me to shoot freehand. The traditions rifle for me is much more instinctve to shoot. Plus,i didn't have to register my traditions since it is a rifle, the CVA was considered a handgun and I had to fill out a card for the Sheriff. FYI the traditions G3 outfitter rifle does come in 300 blackout.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...er-in-300-blk/

good luck
v-fib
Old February 20, 2024, 01:46 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

I have some 14" Contender barrels. In my younger days I could shoot them off hand, even one handed tolerably well, but they simply were not made with that in mind. Even if the weight isn't too much for you, the balance is simply "OFF" with that much barrel. They are made to be fired from some kind of rest.

The same gun with a 10" barrel still does its best work from a rested position, but it is a lot easier to use offhand than the bigger, heavier longer version.

The .300 Blackout has no use in my shooting world, I'm not very interested in ARs, and I don't run suppressors, so I don't see the point of it in a single shot pistol, unless you are already using the round in other guns.

There is nothing the .300 Blackout does better than many other common rounds, other than run in suppressed ARs, if that's your thing, enjoy!
Old February 22, 2024, 06:46 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

That looks like fun!